$200 Over-Ear Headphones
Jan 20, 2013 at 4:23 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:
I though DT770 has recessed mids?
smily_headphones1.gif

It's really over-stated that it has recessed mids.

Every headphone that has bass that is slightly higher than the mid-range has technically recessed mids. It's just beyond over-stated around here. No headphone is ruler flat. Vocals and instruments sound great, not distant, with the DT770. If it's mids were recessed to a point that was appreciable, vocals would be awful.

Sadly the DT770 gets called overlly bass when it's not. And overlly recessed mid-range when it's not. I don't know how this keeps just perpetuating, but it does...

Very best,

Jan 20, 2013 at 4:28 PM Post #17 of 24
I think the DT770 is a decent headphone, I never found the Mids recessed either.  It just has too much Sub-Bass for my taste and the treble was too hot for me as well.  Even after making EQ adjustments it just wasn't for me.  The build and comfort was Fantastic tho...I still recommend them to people, they are nice just not my style!!!

Jan 24, 2013 at 10:08 AM Post #19 of 24
I happen to love my DT770’s! One might say that they have a slight, and I do mean slight emphasis on bass, but I would not call it bloated or overblown. As far as mids…calling them recessed is not totally true…(nor false) it can just come down to an individuals tastes. Where the DT770’s shine for me is the comfort and durability, I am a media technology teacher at a high school and one my preps is sound design. I wear them at least 3-4 hours a day while in production of sound or video and have had this particular pair for just over a year with zero issues. When buying something that could be considered expensive, unless you are loaded and have no issue with how much you spend, I believe that you should always take durability and quality of a product into account. Just my thoughts…

I know I might be a rookie by the standards around here, and I have a preference for closed headphones, due to a past carrier, which might make any suggestion I make unpopular. But...

I also really like the Sennheiser HD380’s. They are great for live applications with their portability and great for studio monitoring as well. 

Jan 25, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #20 of 24
LOL ^^ , I definitely dont have money to blow, I am only 14!! My parents gave me $200 to spend on whatever I want, and I was hoping to buy some quality headphones that will last for some time. So, I think that the DT 770 seems to be pretty good. I will definitely put that on my list. Any more suggestions? I must sound stupid asking so many times, but $200 is quite a large investment, and I don't want to end up buying something I don't really love.

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:22 AM Post #21 of 24
Is there a guitar center or something like that around where you live? I know they don't carry high-end cans, but there would be at least three pair that I am fond of that they should have in stock. Also places like that let you open most of the cans and try them out. The DT770's, the Senns HD 380's and the AT M50's. Those three are good over the ear closed cans that are $200 and under that I really love the way they sound.

Jan 26, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #22 of 24
Might want to consider the new akg line.  the k167 or k267 (though, this is a  bit above your price range, but designed for djing.)

Jan 26, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

It's really over-stated that it has recessed mids.

Every headphone that has bass that is slightly higher than the mid-range has technically recessed mids. It's just beyond over-stated around here. No headphone is ruler flat. Vocals and instruments sound great, not distant, with the DT770. If it's mids were recessed to a point that was appreciable, vocals would be awful.

Sadly the DT770 gets called overlly bass when it's not. And overlly recessed mid-range when it's not. I don't know how this keeps just perpetuating, but it does...

Very best,

I have to respectfully disagree. In extensive a/b comparisons of DT770-80 against K271, SRH840, DT250, and D5000, with amplification and without, DT770s sound is by far the most unbalanced.  Bass literally thumps where you can feel air against your hand if you put it against the cups, while lacking sub-bass and without integration with the mids.  Likewise, treble sizzles to the point where I literally had to tear headphones off my head with some crashing cymbals.  The mids are overshadowed between these extremes.  This is not a capricious or libelous evaluation- these features are striking and immediately noticeable when compared with a fairly large number of headphones in the same volumes and listening conditions.  This is not to slam Beyer, I quite liked the DT250 and this is the kind of feedback that will ultimately compel them to improve their product.

Another myth that is perpetuated at head-fi is that they are suitable for ipods and portable amplification because of their low ohm rating.  Quite the contrary, the bass loses definition rather dramatically without adequate amplification - more than any other closed headphone I've heard- and does tighten up considerably with more amplification.

There are much better options out there, it a disservice imo to point people toward these headphones when there are so many superior headphones to be owned and enjoyed.

Jan 28, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #24 of 24
Do yourself a favor and just play it safe and get yourself the ath m50LE and pocket the difference and call it a day.
Its great sound, great quality, great longevity in performance, durability and resale value.
Many a new headphone will come and go but these will stand the test of time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back