1964 Ears
Jan 30, 2012 at 1:46 AM Post #2,957 of 7,417

Quote:
I have a similar problem. I am having trouble deciding between the quads and the 3.As. I had my reshell done by 1964 to see the quality of their build and if I can so my self they are excellent. Service was great too. Plus they are domestic. The idea of giving my business to US based firms tickles me fancy .

Glad to hear good feedback re: 1964 Ears re-shelling.  I am just trying to decide whether to use my UM3X's or W4R's as donors.  I wish I had reached this decision before blowing $150.00 plus impression cost on UM56's.  Alex is very accessible via telephone and I also prefer to spend my money here in the USA whenever possible.  Pity that only the UM3X's are made here and the pricier W4's are made in China.

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:14 AM Post #2,958 of 7,417

Quote:
^^^
If it sounds like the quads will meet your desired sound signature, I can attest to them being an excellent iem.  I am still a big fan of mine!

Thats the general feeling I am getting. I cant wait till get my hands on em! Enjoy your music my friend.

Quote:

Glad to hear good feedback re: 1964 Ears re-shelling.  I am just trying to decide whether to use my UM3X's or W4R's as donors.  I wish I had reached this decision before blowing $150.00 plus impression cost on UM56's.  Alex is very accessible via telephone and I also prefer to spend my money here in the USA whenever possible.  Pity that only the UM3X's are made here and the pricier W4's are made in China.

The time you save and service you receive is well, well worth an extra buck. Turn around was extremely fast to say the least. I couldn't agree more, the 1964 team are always accessible. They are a great bunch.  My baby brother... well not so baby anymore but I digress.. got molded tips for his um3x and he adores them. Which of the two are you willing to potenitaly sabotage? But Idoubt 1964 will do such a thing. It is a risk none the less. 

Jan 31, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #2,959 of 7,417
lol. I've been feeling a strong need to splurge on some more customs, and I was looking into the quads, but I'm a little worried, since I LOOVVVEEE my Grados and HD25's... lol. :frowning2:

From what I understand, pretty much all customs are designed to not be bright/sparkly though.

Quote:
the Q's have "unoffending" "slightly to recessed" treble, if you like grados, ad700, hd25,  hifiman  re2's, monster turbine coppers, any etymotic for that matter, I wouldn't get the quads
the bass really was the best i have ever heard in an IEM, it had very deep extension and weight but to my ears, it was overbearing. the treble and non stop fit issues were unbearable for me as well as the closed in soundstage with instruments positioned slightly behind my ears. also, I'm not sure about this, but 1964 ears told me they couldn't change the sound signature at all while reading the unique melody site, they said they can change the frequency range a couple degrees so.. yeah not sure about that anymore but alas, the quads aren't in my possesion anymore

Jan 31, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #2,960 of 7,417

Quote:
From what I understand, pretty much all customs are designed to not be bright/sparkly though.

I don't find this to be true with my Quads. Although I wouldn't label them as bright, they are pretty good on being sparkly and their treble response is much better than almost all of the dynamic full size headphones I've listened to. 

Feb 1, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #2,961 of 7,417
Yuceka, I dunno what full size cans you've listened to, but compared to my pro900 or my Grado SR225i, the Q sounds downright flat after 5khz.  NOT compared to those two things, I would still never say they reach "sparkly", but they do a pretty damn good job of reproducing high notes.  They sound almost exactly like their Frequency Response graph would indicate--they are an exception in that regard.  Bass response is fantastic, mids are mellow and lush but accurate, highs are not designed for treble heads.  They work perfectly for me on my transatlantic flights and 14 hour missions specifically because the highs are not fatiguing, and I recommend their purchase to most people on here with the caveat that anyone looking for an awesome top end will be disappointed.

So Panges, consider carefully what you're looking for with these, what your primary use of them will be for, and read any and every review you can find on them before you purchase.  You can check out my review of them as well, if you want.  It's a bit negative...they've grown on me since then...but I still don't put half them time on them that I did my PRO900 in my downtime.

Feb 1, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #2,962 of 7,417

Quote:
Thats the general feeling I am getting. I cant wait till get my hands on em! Enjoy your music my friend.

The time you save and service you receive is well, well worth an extra buck. Turn around was extremely fast to say the least. I couldn't agree more, the 1964 team are always accessible. They are a great bunch.  My baby brother... well not so baby anymore but I digress.. got molded tips for his um3x and he adores them. Which of the two are you willing to potenitaly sabotage? But Idoubt 1964 will do such a thing. It is a risk none the less. 

Alex says he's been getting lots of inquiries lately about re-shelling UM3X's but that either would be a good candidate.  I am leaning towards the UM3X right now -- no artwork, soft canals and add removable cables.  If that works out I may go hog-wild on the W4R's.  I getting impressions this Friday. 

Feb 1, 2012 at 2:29 PM Post #2,963 of 7,417
Quote:

Alex says he's been getting lots of inquiries lately about re-shelling UM3X's but that either would be a good candidate.  I am leaning towards the UM3X right now -- no artwork, soft canals and add removable cables.  If that works out I may go hog-wild on the W4R's.  I getting impressions this Friday. 

42574027-9057-f9d3.jpg

This is what my tf10s look like. They are currently on vacation at the 1964 lab. In regards to the soft tips, I have heard of reliability issues. I however, have had no experience in that matter. Gd luck!

Feb 1, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #2,964 of 7,417
Hi. I am used to listen from PFE (phonak audeo PFE 111) which has bright sound signature, lots of heights. I like heights. I am about to buy 1964-T, is heights on T's somehow lacking? Has T's lot less heights? thanks.

I have one obscurity about comfort. I am looking at this , this and especially this photo, it seems that gets anzthing stucked in cable, or if something pulls cable, it can make it harmful in ear (rotation).. Am I wrong? is it an issue? I've never worn customs. Thanks for response.

Feb 1, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #2,965 of 7,417

Quote:
Yuceka, I dunno what full size cans you've listened to, but compared to my pro900 or my Grado SR225i, the Q sounds downright flat after 5khz.  NOT compared to those two things, I would still never say they reach "sparkly", but they do a pretty damn good job of reproducing high notes.  They sound almost exactly like their Frequency Response graph would indicate--they are an exception in that regard.  Bass response is fantastic, mids are mellow and lush but accurate, highs are not designed for treble heads.  They work perfectly for me on my transatlantic flights and 14 hour missions specifically because the highs are not fatiguing, and I recommend their purchase to most people on here with the caveat that anyone looking for an awesome top end will be disappointed.

So Panges, consider carefully what you're looking for with these, what your primary use of them will be for, and read any and every review you can find on them before you purchase.  You can check out my review of them as well, if you want.  It's a bit negative...they've grown on me since then...but I still don't put half them time on them that I did my PRO900 in my downtime.

Do you have any comparisons of the PRO900 to the Qs? I'm looking for customs IEMs that sound close to the 900s for use on the go.

Feb 1, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #2,966 of 7,417

Quote:
42574027-9057-f9d3.jpg

This is what my tf10s look like. They are currently on vacation at the 1964 lab. In regards to the soft tips, I have heard of reliability issues. I however, have had no experience in that matter. Gd luck!

Those look sweet.  Thanks for the heads up about potential issues with their soft canals -- I will check this out.

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #2,968 of 7,417

Quote:
Hi. I am used to listen from PFE (phonak audeo PFE 111) which has bright sound signature, lots of heights. I like heights. I am about to buy 1964-T, is heights on T's somehow lacking? Has T's lot less heights? thanks.

I have one obscurity about comfort. I am looking at this , this and especially this photo, it seems that gets anzthing stucked in cable, or if something pulls cable, it can make it harmful in ear (rotation).. Am I wrong? is it an issue? I've never worn customs. Thanks for response.

Highs on the T are not lacking per se, but they are a little relaxed relative to the mids and bass. Definitely good for music that might tend towards sibilance. I haven't heard the PFE in ages but I don't know that the 1964-T is the best match as far as keeping a similar sound but upgrading overall. That just doesn't seem like the goal 1964 Ears was after when they designed these things.

If something pulls on the cable, it would probably bend the cable... it could hurt if you were running and snagged on something though. But more likely your source would come out of your pocket or the cable would come unplugged from the source. It's not too different from universal IEMs though. 

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #2,969 of 7,417

Quote:
Vacation, guess I wont get a reply to my email sent today.

I am sorry I mean my molds are on vacation at the 1964 lab getting some royal treatment.

They are not on vacation at the lab. Aleksey and Anastasia usually gets back within the day or next.

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #2,970 of 7,417

Quote:
I am sorry I mean my molds are on vacation at the 1964 lab getting some royal treatment.

They are not on vacation at the lab. Aleksey and Anastasia usually gets back within the day or next.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I have been talking to Kaysen at Fisher, so I doubt I will hear what I want to hear from 1964, which is a better price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back