1964 Ears
Jul 5, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #2,611 of 7,417

Quote:
Im having problems cleaning my customs. Theres some small tiny particles of earwax that I cant clean because its too deep. How do you guys clean your customs? It doesnt affect the sound but it irritates me knowing that theres wax build up in it.

Do you mean it is just too deep to reach with the included cleaning tool? I've had good luck with bending a small paperclip so it can reach really far in. Just be VERY careful not to puncture anything, don't poke the filter, etc. 

Jul 5, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #2,612 of 7,417
I use a vent cleaning tool from Westone for any earwax too far in for it to be reached by the regular cleaning tool.

http://www.westone.com/catalog/vent-cleaning-tool-0

Jul 5, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #2,613 of 7,417

Quote:
I use a vent cleaning tool from Westone for any earwax too far in for it to be reached by the regular cleaning tool.

http://www.westone.com/catalog/vent-cleaning-tool-0

Any newer discoveries or impressions on the quad @ Rip N' Burn?

Jul 6, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #2,615 of 7,417

Quote:
Just picked up a Fiio E11 and it pairs up quite well with the Q's.

You guys have gotten like me. After a whole bunch of impressions here and there, I just settled in into listening to the quads so much that I didn't want to post much about it anymore. As a matter of fact, I never did finish and turn in my official full review, which I should do (life happened too). But the quad can be that intoxicating. But I want to get some nuances you are picking up as you listen to the the 1964 -Q more. For so long I felt I was on the 1964-Q island all by my lonesome. Now I have some other mates who can share insights or debate about its sound. Or when I say something about the sound signature you guys know what I'm talking about.

Jul 6, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #2,616 of 7,417
Soon, I'll be visiting the MDR-EX600 Island. The ticket is in the mail. How does it match up with the Q?

Quote:
You guys have gotten like me. After a whole bunch of impressions here and there, I just settled in into listening to the quads so much that I didn't want to post much about it anymore. As a matter of fact, I never did finish and turn in my official full review, which I should do (life happened too). But the quad can be that intoxicating. But I want to get some nuances you are picking up as you listen to the the 1964 -Q more. For so long I felt I was on the 1964-Q island all by my lonesome. Now I have some other mates who can share insights or debate about its sound. Or when I say something about the sound signature you guys know what I'm talking about.

Jul 6, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #2,617 of 7,417

Quote:
Soon, I'll be visiting the MDR-EX600 Island. The ticket is in the mail. How does it match up with the Q?

Funny, but another recent Q owner emailed me asking the same question. I'm just going to copy my response to him here:

First, it sounds nothing like the quad (except the quad to my ear is one BA that come close to a natural dynamic timbre). I don't know what you have heard in the dynamic iem range, but if you have heard the FX700, it's close to that sound, but it's still different. I can't remember the IE8 that well except it was veiled sounding to me. There is definitely no veil sound on the EX600. The sound is wide and quite spacious. It seems almost neutral (some say the bass is lite, but not to me). After a good burn-in the bass goes quite deep, but no big mid-bass hump. So yes, I would say neutral, but you hear the full music spectrum very clearly and naturally. I mean there is a nice weight to the instrument and pretty close to 3-D sounding. I really don't know what to compare it to but the FX700 for its natural sound. What I can tell you is that these are the most clear detailed (next to the FX700) dynamic driver iems I've ever heard. The FX700 just has more upfront bass and a bit or recessed mids, but everything is about even with the EX600. So I've been reading that the EX1000 sounds anywhere from 10 to 20 percent better than the EX600 (I will hear for myself since some EX1000 loaners are coming my way), but I can already tell you if it's only 10 to 20 percent better, it's worth it to just buy the $150 EX600. I can honestly it's the best buck fifty I'ver ever spent on a pair of iems. So what are the drawbacks (all iems and headphones have them). Well, it's not for the outside due to huge vents that allow air to get in so that it can such an open sound.  These will have to be indoor iems, which suits me fine. And although the quad is way better technically, I find myself enjoying these a lot at home connected to my Fiio E9 amp. If you have it (money), I would say take the plunge buddy, because sometimes you will want a break from the intense details of the 1964-Q and just listen to a nicely detailed earphone that presents the music in a more fun (and less analytical) way. The EX600 is the one. Hope that helps. Feel free to ask anything else.

Jul 6, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #2,618 of 7,417
Well, I have the 1964 T, and lately I have been listening to my EX600 more, but mainly due to being easier to put on and off my ears.
The ex600 with a bit bass added with my fuze is just wonderful for my music collection, mainly hiphop and so

Jul 6, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #2,619 of 7,417
That's odd, because there's a huge amount of hiss with the E7s. When I plugged it in, I was like, What The -- ?

On the other hand, it sounds amazing with the Clip+. A very warm sound, and more subdued details, but the Clip+ gives even more oomph to the bass. 

Quote:
Just picked up a Fiio E11 and it pairs up quite well with the Q's.

Jul 6, 2011 at 8:21 PM Post #2,620 of 7,417
I can hear a small amount of hissing with my 1964Q. It's noticeable but also bearable. I wonder why the noise floor is higher with the E7? I was under the impression that the amp section of the E7 and E11 are similar in design except that the E11 is more powerful.

Quote:
That's odd, because there's a huge amount of hiss with the E7s.

Jul 6, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #2,621 of 7,417
Evening everyone,

Well I actually have owned my quads for about 4 months and after a few refits they fit perfectly and they have such clear sound that I can tell.  These are my first customs ever and I am as always horrible to describing them.  I just have to say the bass is what I really love about these things and how good quality it is.  I really enjoy the mids and imo they are quite full sounding.  I recently got my whiplash audio twag v2 balanced cable for my protector and all I can say I am enjoying it.  Currently burning in the cable but I am loving what I am hearing.  Good tone across the spectrum except a little lacking in treble, but i dont mind this at all.  Instruments became more separated and the soundstage increased a bit, enough for me to have a WOW moment lol.

I actually sold my LA7000 lites because I found their bass too muddy after I had been listening to my quads for a so long LOL.  Anyways just wanted to put my 2 cents in  and again i apologize that my description is not the greatest.

I am amazingly happy with my quads and I am very happy that these were my very first customs.

Have a great evening everyone

tink97

Jul 6, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #2,622 of 7,417

Nice concise job in describing what you are hearing @  tink97. I understood you perfectly. Thanks for sharing with us. Please share more at your leisure 
beerchug.gif
Quote:
Evening everyone,

Well I actually have owned my quads for about 4 months and after a few refits they fit perfectly and they have such clear sound that I can tell.  These are my first customs ever and I am as always horrible to describing them.  I just have to say the bass is what I really love about these things and how good quality it is.  I really enjoy the mids and imo they are quite full sounding.  I recently got my whiplash audio twag v2 balanced cable for my protector and all I can say I am enjoying it.  Currently burning in the cable but I am loving what I am hearing.  Good tone across the spectrum except a little lacking in treble, but i dont mind this at all.  Instruments became more separated and the soundstage increased a bit, enough for me to have a WOW moment lol.

I actually sold my LA7000 lites because I found their bass too muddy after I had been listening to my quads for a so long LOL.  Anyways just wanted to put my 2 cents in  and again i apologize that my description is not the greatest.

I am amazingly happy with my quads and I am very happy that these were my very first customs.

Have a great evening everyone

tink97

Jul 7, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #2,623 of 7,417

Quote:
1964 No longer offers full silicone molds according to their latest FB post.

Quote:
According to the FB post, they said that their tools were more geared toward making acrylic based customs, so going out of their way to incorporate a silicone process took too much of their time.

Hmmm hope that wasn't because of me... According to them by build should be done around next week - the only reason I actually ordered these customs was because they had the full silicone mould - no way a block of acrylic would be comfortable in my ears. I hope everything goes well *touches wood*

Jul 7, 2011 at 6:47 AM Post #2,624 of 7,417
How is the hiss with the Q's + E11 combo? I sold my SE535's due to the sensitivity driving me crazy and although the Quads aren't as bad, its still a bit annoying during the low-key segments of some songs.

I thought about adding an attenuator but considering that the treble on the Quads are slightly recessed (in comparison to the sparkly RE0 & SE535), I'm a bit hesitant at cutting it off even further. So far, these are the only issues I have with the Quads. Everything else about them is sublime and I find them to be one of the best purchases I've made in regards to audio equipment (next to the Swan M200MKIII's in price vs performance).
Quote:
I can hear a small amount of hissing with my 1964Q. It's noticeable but also bearable. I wonder why the noise floor is higher with the E7? I was under the impression that the amp section of the E7 and E11 are similar in design except that the E11 is more powerful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back