1964 Ears
Jul 2, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #2,597 of 7,417

Quote:

2. There doesn't seem to be an issue with the fit: When I yawn the fit stays true. When I smile it seems to pop a bit but then reseals when I finish smiling. I assume that's normal? Also, there's a bit of discomfort deep in the ear canal, as the very tip seems a bit large for the canal. Will this discomfort disappear with time?

Any responses welcomed!

I also have the same condition. Closely observed my own ear and realized that when I smile, my antitragus (refer to the refit form on 1964EARS website) contracts inwards a lot, which likely pushes on the customs and forces a loss of seal.

Jul 2, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #2,598 of 7,417
I can answer the question about the drivers. Actually the largest one is the mid, not the double  bass. The smaller driver on the other side of the largest is actually two "vented"  BA drivers stacked together. If you look real closely you can see they're their actually two in some type of housing. You might even be able to spot where sound comes out and goes into the sound tube (I can). But yes, the two smaller drivers are producing all of that bass. The Big one is the mid and then the treble is at the bottom somewhere. This is not speculation, but was confirmed for me by 1964 EARS, as I had the same concerns in thinking I only saw three drivers.

Quote:
The largest driver housing (of the three) has two BA drivers, I believe.

Glad you're enjoying them as much as me.

Quote:
Just got my quads. I don't really want to post first impressions until I give it a full week of listening. I will say, however, that I've never experienced this level of detail in a pair of IEMs before. It's a definite step up even from my CK10s and RE0s. I listen to a fair bit of trance and electronic, and it's great to hear how well-resolved each note is. 

A couple of questions, though, of all you veteran audiophiles.

1. I tried counting the four drivers, but could only see three. Is there some trick to spotting the fourth driver?

2. There doesn't seem to be an issue with the fit: When I yawn the fit stays true. When I smile it seems to pop a bit but then reseals when I finish smiling. I assume that's normal? Also, there's a bit of discomfort deep in the ear canal, as the very tip seems a bit large for the canal. Will this discomfort disappear with time?

Any responses welcomed!

Jul 2, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #2,599 of 7,417
Oh, I can see them now. Definitely four in total. Thanks eric!

Quote:
I can't answer the question about the drivers. Actually the largest one is the mid, not the double  bass. The smaller driver on the other side of the largest is actually two "vented"  BA drivers stacked together. If you look real closely you can see they're their actually two in some type of housing. You might even be able to spot where sound comes out and goes into the sound tube (I can). But yes, the two smaller drivers are producing all of that bass. The Big one is the mid and then the treble is at the bottom somewhere. This is not speculation, but was confirmed for me by 1964 EARS, as I had the same concerns in thinking I only saw three drivers.

Jul 2, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #2,600 of 7,417
Now, I must ask (unless I have read it wrong), have you heard the W4? If so, how does it compare to the quad? I definitely think if one can go for a $400-$500 universal vs. an economical custom on the low end of the price spectrum, I would think the more bang and enjoyment for ones buck would come out of the custom. I have yet to hear the W4 and will still like to hear what 4-driver universal can produce. But I still maintain that no top -tier universal I have heard can overall touch the 1964-Q. Some do come close if you narrow down specific sound areas, but not as a whole unit. 

By the way, how would you say the quad's sound compares to the FA-011 (knowing that they are two different beasts altogether, especially in sound sig)?

I've heard the W4.. it's a fantastic phone.  I had only one issue with it.. the bass came across a little too soft for what I expected from a 4-driver BA.  The control, texturing, and accuracy was top grade.. but I wanted a little more energy from the bass.. especially for a phone with two dedicated bass drivers.  The quality of the bass though was incredible.  Treble compared favorably to the quads and the midrange was quite impressive too (I'd call it a draw between the quad and W4).. well balanced and highly detailed.. Personally though, I'm enjoying the quads more and don't regret my decision one bit.

There's very little not to like about the W4, if it matches what you look for in a sound sig.  If I was forced to choose a top tier universal, the W4 would be it (but honestly, the GR07 is the last universal I'm interested in cause I enjoy it so much).

Re: the FA-011.. as you said, is all together a different beast vs the quad.. The 011's wide-U shaped sig is quite a change from the slightly mid-forward, more balanced, relaxed nature of the quads.  It's actually a bit of a shock going from the quads to the 011 and vice versa cause the treble is so different.. the 011's treble is clearly emphasized, very very crisp, sparkly, and bright.. obviously tuned for emphasis.. the 011's bass feels softer and less controlled in comparison to the quads' bass, but it's still excellent nonetheless.  It doesn't have the authority, speed, detail, or nuance the quad's bass possesses.  I love the 011's midrange.. it's very natural sounding and has good timbre, it's not recessed or forward, it's quite well placed, IMO.. it may sound that way to some since the bass & treble has emphasis.  I'm still burning the 011 in so I'll hold final judgement.. but these sound better and better with every hour.

Between the 011, 598, & 003.. my "full-sized phone" appetite is full.. heck the 003 would be enough for me, I love the sound of those phones.  As with IEMs, the next full size phone I invest in will be in the 1K range and when I have the appropriate amp/DAC in chain to take advantage of it.

Jul 2, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #2,601 of 7,417
Well i can live with the treble on my 1964 T but it seems really low. For instance the hd600 has low treble but it is more than on my customs. I also find the bass to be more and better than what has been described. For comparison, after listening to my customs, bass on my triplefi 10 seems shy...while triplefi seems really brilliant

Jul 2, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #2,602 of 7,417
OK, I have no problem at all with the seal popping when I smile, since they pop right back when my face returns to neutral. However, I've noticed that they also pop when I raise my eyebrows -- is this normal?

I'm also still a little concerned about the pressure I feel against my ear canal, but I'm going to rawrster's advice and give it a week or so and see if my ears get used to it.

Jul 2, 2011 at 9:53 AM Post #2,603 of 7,417
Thanks so much @ FlySweep. I'm so glad that someone who has the quad (and I can trust it to be a fair opinion) has also heard the W4. Others who haven't heard the quad but have the W4 (and whom I also value their opinions and they know my sound sigs) also said the bass might be a bit too light for me. I was really close to buying a  W4 from a head-fi friend, but life emergency's prevented me at the time. I may look for a used one again soon (or hopefully find a loaner).

As for universals, I have to say that I've discovered the best dynamic driver I've ever heard (next to the FX700) in $150 iem>>> The Sony EX600. This little bang for the buck will blow you away @ FlySweep. Technically the JVC is better, but cohesively I like the Sony better. But here's the kicker: head-fi members who have heard the EX600 and its big brother, EX1000, say that the elder is like 10 percent to 20 percent better sounding than the EX600. And I can't imagine anything sounding much better. Luckily I am on a list to get an EX1000 loaner to compare, but I would never pay $500 for a universal, not after hearing what the 1964-Q custom can do in that price range. But I mention this Sony because usually I can't wait to stuff the quad in my ears at home, but I'm so enjoying the sound of this universal. Is the EX600 better sounding and equal technically to the 1964-Q? Nope, not at all. But it's pushing really hard to sit in the same room with it, and has top tier sound for $150.The only drawback - they all have them - is that the EX600 is not really an outdoor iem. It works best in-house in a quiet environment. I still maintain that no universal I've heard can beat the quad, but many are close in various aspects. Now, despite of what you said about the bass impact, I really want to hear the W4 since you say it's almost a draw between it and the 1964-Q.

@tkalee you are quite welcome.

Quote:
I've heard the W4.. it's a fantastic phone.  I had only one issue with it.. the bass came across a little too soft for what I expected from a 4-driver BA.  The control, texturing, and accuracy was top grade.. but I wanted a little more energy from the bass.. especially for a phone with two dedicated bass drivers.  The quality of the bass though was incredible.  Treble compared favorably to the quads and the midrange was quite impressive too (I'd call it a draw between the quad and W4).. well balanced and highly detailed.. Personally though, I'm enjoying the quads more and don't regret my decision one bit.

There's very little not to like about the W4, if it matches what you look for in a sound sig.  If I was forced to choose a top tier universal, the W4 would be it (but honestly, the GR07 is the last universal I'm interested in cause I enjoy it so much).

Re: the FA-011.. as you said, is all together a different beast vs the quad.. The 011's wide-U shaped sig is quite a change from the slightly mid-forward, more balanced, relaxed nature of the quads.  It's actually a bit of a shock going from the quads to the 011 and vice versa cause the treble is so different.. the 011's treble is clearly emphasized, very very crisp, sparkly, and bright.. obviously tuned for emphasis.. the 011's bass feels softer and less controlled in comparison to the quads' bass, but it's still excellent nonetheless.  It doesn't have the authority, speed, detail, or nuance the quad's bass possesses.  I love the 011's midrange.. it's very natural sounding and has good timbre, it's not recessed or forward, it's quite well placed, IMO.. it may sound that way to some since the bass & treble has emphasis.  I'm still burning the 011 in so I'll hold final judgement.. but these sound better and better with every hour.

Between the 011, 598, & 003.. my "full-sized phone" appetite is full.. heck the 003 would be enough for me, I love the sound of those phones.  As with IEMs, the next full size phone I invest in will be in the 1K range and when I have the appropriate amp/DAC in chain to take advantage of it.

Jul 4, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #2,604 of 7,417
Im having problems cleaning my customs. Theres some small tiny particles of earwax that I cant clean because its too deep. How do you guys clean your customs? It doesnt affect the sound but it irritates me knowing that theres wax build up in it.

Btw ever since I got my customs, I have realized so many imperfections in my music. It drives me crazy, I've deleted over 200 songs because I can't stand how they sound.

Jul 4, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #2,605 of 7,417

Quote:
But here's the kicker: head-fi members who have heard the EX600 and its big brother, EX1000, say that the elder is like 10 percent to 20 percent better sounding than the EX600. And I can't imagine anything sounding much better. Luckily I am on a list to get an EX1000 loaner to compare, but I would never pay $500 for a universal, not after hearing what the 1964-Q custom can do in that price range.

The Sony EX1000 can be had for $360 brand new.

Jul 4, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #2,606 of 7,417
I got my ex600 today,  which I was planning to sell so I could buy a fx700 instead... BUT I loved it from the firs second on. No suction at all, at least with the fit I have with them.
I bought my customs running away from IEM suction. No closed feeling at all, but a balanced but very musical IEM, that sounds like a top class earbud or open headphones.
I just LOVE IT. Now my 1964 ears triple will have some competition for time on.

Quote:
Thanks so much @ FlySweep. I'm so glad that someone who has the quad (and I can trust it to be a fair opinion) has also heard the W4. Others who haven't heard the quad but have the W4 (and whom I also value their opinions and they know my sound sigs) also said the bass might be a bit too light for me. I was really close to buying a  W4 from a head-fi friend, but life emergency's prevented me at the time. I may look for a used one again soon (or hopefully find a loaner).

As for universals, I have to say that I've discovered the best dynamic driver I've ever heard (next to the FX700) in $150 iem>>> The Sony EX600. This little bang for the buck will blow you away @ FlySweep. Technically the JVC is better, but cohesively I like the Sony better. But here's the kicker: head-fi members who have heard the EX600 and its big brother, EX1000, say that the elder is like 10 percent to 20 percent better sounding than the EX600. And I can't imagine anything sounding much better. Luckily I am on a list to get an EX1000 loaner to compare, but I would never pay $500 for a universal, not after hearing what the 1964-Q custom can do in that price range. But I mention this Sony because usually I can't wait to stuff the quad in my ears at home, but I'm so enjoying the sound of this universal. Is the EX600 better sounding and equal technically to the 1964-Q? Nope, not at all. But it's pushing really hard to sit in the same room with it, and has top tier sound for $150.The only drawback - they all have them - is that the EX600 is not really an outdoor iem. It works best in-house in a quiet environment. I still maintain that no universal I've heard can beat the quad, but many are close in various aspects. Now, despite of what you said about the bass impact, I really want to hear the W4 since you say it's almost a draw between it and the 1964-Q.

@tkalee you are quite welcome.

Jul 4, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #2,607 of 7,417

Coolest graphics I have seen yet.  Very nice and I got that it was from PF Animals and The Wall right away.  Well done.
Quote:
Bingo. But, the Pig is actually a reference to the album Animals, which is my all time favorite album.
There is some speculation that it is loosely based on the Novel Animal Farm by George Orwell, but no member of PF has confirmed it.

I was fortunate enough to be able to go to a show from Roger Waters' recent tour of The Wall, and it was truly and awesome experience.
Have been listening to Pink Floyd for years, and am still able to find new things in all their music. Truly amazing.

Even more amazing on my new Triples. It has been three days since I got them, and I am loving them more and more.

Jul 4, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #2,608 of 7,417
Hmmmm @ $360? Where? And that is too steep for me since many say the EX1000 is only about 10 percent better in sounds and details than the  EX600. Now, I will be hearing james444's EX1000 soon and will be able to judge for myself. But I see a couple of places where I can get the W4 for $350 new, so I think I would do that before I would spend that for the EX1000. Right now I'm not in the mindset to spend over $150 for any universal, seeing how the sound quality in that price range has stepped up to top tier level.

Jul 5, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #2,610 of 7,417

You might be able to get it all dried out with some basilica, and then stick a vacuum hose over the sound port and suck that little bit out....

Quote:
Im having problems cleaning my customs. Theres some small tiny particles of earwax that I cant clean because its too deep. How do you guys clean your customs? It doesnt affect the sound but it irritates me knowing that theres wax build up in it.

Btw ever since I got my customs, I have realized so many imperfections in my music. It drives me crazy, I've deleted over 200 songs because I can't stand how they sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back