1964 Ears
May 27, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #2,416 of 7,417
Yea, i had to pay 30% in customs so thats 200$. I could buy a pretty damn good headphone for that :S
Also, this might just be the initial impression, but i don't think this sounds like 600$ to be honest. I mean, its good, but its not like another universe compared to my old triple-fi 10, and those were more like 100 bucks...For now I'm slightly dissapointed with the sound. The built quality is amazing though, and they did a great job with the custom artwork.

May 27, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #2,417 of 7,417
Quote:
I want to get my impressions done and Order some, But i'm scared of customs getting them on the way in and whacking me with a massive duty bill.

Natty

Just received a letter from the duty today about my JH16. They charged me 200€ (almost $300)!
All because I needed a refit! -.-
They forgot to charge me first time.

May 27, 2011 at 11:45 AM Post #2,418 of 7,417
That sucks pretty hard, I think the only way really for me to get customs is go for ACS who are UK based.

May 27, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #2,419 of 7,417
Than you would pay crazily to avoid taxes. The money you pay for ACS triple driver you can pay the flight to go to US and have your customs done, lol!

Quote:
That sucks pretty hard, I think the only way really for me to get customs is go for ACS who are UK based.

May 27, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #2,420 of 7,417
Hmm! i can get triples for £500 which is about half as much as it would legit cost of other makes,Even Ue i'm lookin around £755+, Flights from UK to US are alot more then that lol, And i would still get collared for duty.

Quote:
Than you would pay crazily to avoid taxes. The money you pay for ACS triple driver you can pay the flight to go to US and have your customs done, lol!

May 27, 2011 at 1:01 PM Post #2,421 of 7,417
Oh great, I'm an idiot. I just found out the reason the IEMs didn't live up to my expectations was because of my ears...Litterally...They were stuffed with...Well...You probably get the point. After getting that cleaned out they were amazing, but only heard the big difference when listening to the highest quality music..The rest can go home and take its Mp3 buddies with it. :)

May 27, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #2,422 of 7,417
Another subject, does anyone actually know what type of connecters 1964 uses? I mean, when looking for upgrade cables only Moon Audio specifies having 1964 cable-connecters. I've heard somewhere that it is the same as Westone can anyone help?

May 27, 2011 at 1:19 PM Post #2,423 of 7,417

Quote:
Another subject, does anyone actually know what type of connecters 1964 uses? I mean, when looking for upgrade cables only Moon Audio specifies having 1964 cable-connecters. I've heard somewhere that it is the same as Westone can anyone help?

Westone connectors would be correct.

May 27, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #2,424 of 7,417

Quote:
Nice insight Stew, what source have found pairs nicely with your quads?

Unfortunately (as I can't put it in my pocket) my desktop's headphone out actually sounds very good with them. I've been using my rockboxed clip with the bass and treble bumped up a few notches which sounds good but I find the small sansa sound stage a bit obnoxious, especially after I was using sennheiser ie8's for a while. 

But primarily I use them with my phone (htc incredible) that sounds okay nothing great. I really would like find a phone that they sound great out of. A bit of a non-sequitur but it's amazing how little music I find myself actually carrying around now.

I primarily stream from google music, have a lot of music blogs in google reader and use the mobile app to stream endless songs from there, soundcloud etc. so I'm really hoping phone manufacturers start paying attention to sound quality the same way DAP manufacturers do. Granted the audio quality streaming isn't always the best but I've read great things about some of the samsung phones that have the higher quality wolfson dacs in them. If only one of the newer ones was on verizon... 

May 27, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #2,425 of 7,417
I ofcourse don't know the customs charges in your country (England?) but i doubt is more than the danish 30%+15£ and i got my quads for an overall price of around 400£. That would be 500$ for the iem and 50$ for custom art and around 200$. So it should be cheaper :)

Quote:
Hmm! i can get triples for £500 which is about half as much as it would legit cost of other makes,Even Ue i'm lookin around £755+, Flights from UK to US are alot more then that lol, And i would still get collared for duty.

May 28, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #2,426 of 7,417
I think buffalowings hit the nail on the head when he said a bass emphasis will affect our interpretation of the highs. I don't remember how the quads are configured, but the 1964-T uses the Knowles ED-29689 driver for highs. That's the same driver used in the Ety ER4 models. Ety obviously runs it full range, while the 1964-T has two separate drivers to handle lows. So if anything the triples should theoretically be more detailed because the ED driver can focus on the highs only. But when our brains hear the ER4 models we tend to focus on the details because there isn't any sub bass to speak of. 

I think the 1964-T has just as much detail as the Ety. It just has a different focus. I imagine it is the same for the quads too. 

Some initial impressions of the Quads. Source iPad Camera kit to Leckerton audio UHA 6S and iPod 5.5 to pico slim. I traveled all day so I got some extended listening in. Regarding comfort I put them on during my first flight and kept them on through a layover and all of the way through the second flight. Many hours and pretty consistent seal no matter what i did-walk, chew, etc.
Initially when I got them the day before traveling and then this morning I was a little disappointed. I was intellectually not expecting a LCD-2 sound signature through good home equipment but in my heart I wanted to be wowed. When I switched to the iPod pico set up I started getting some real appreciation for the presentation of the Qs listening to some Chris Issac Heart Shaped World. All of a sudden I heard the full but tight bass but also noticed that Ety 4 clarity and detail I wanted. I just had to listen for it. I thought perhaps it was the iPod being better than the Leckerton DAC amp. On the second plane I went back to the iPod Leckerton set up and listened to some Grateful Dead's Go to Nassau well proced live album. All of sudden I was hearing Phil's low bass bombs and great mid and high detail.
Next I was listening to Paul Simon's Rhythm of Saints. I was hearing percussion detail in the mids I had never noticed before.
I think getting used to a new sound signature in a head or earphone is not unlike when I go see a jam band for three nights at one venue. The first night is about getting used to the live sound and venue and I hear more and better the second and third nights.
So far I am loving hearing bass in an iem and without loss of detail in mids and highs. I also noticed that classical and acoustic music are really full and detailed on the Quads. More impressions later.

May 28, 2011 at 9:36 AM Post #2,427 of 7,417

Quote:

Some initial impressions of the Quads....

Thanks for the post, great description of your experience. Plus it's nice to see someone using the excellent yet under-appreciated Leckerton UHA-6S.

I think you have a good point about getting used to new headphones, or any new equipment really. People often try something for 20 minutes and say it is terrible. My opinion is that they haven't even really heard the equipment yet at that point. Much more time is required to adjust your brain to the specific sound. Of course this only applies to reasonably well designed products where there is a certain expectation of decent sound. I'm not saying you need to spend a week with a $5 pair of earbuds before you write them off.

May 28, 2011 at 12:11 PM Post #2,428 of 7,417

Thanks for the post, great description of your experience. Plus it's nice to see someone using the excellent yet under-appreciated Leckerton UHA-6S.

I think you have a good point about getting used to new headphones, or any new equipment really. People often try something for 20 minutes and say it is terrible. My opinion is that they haven't even really heard the equipment yet at that point. Much more time is required to adjust your brain to the specific sound. Of course this only applies to reasonably well designed products where there is a certain expectation of decent sound. I'm not saying you need to spend a week with a $5 pair of earbuds before you write them off.

I agree in a instant gratification culture it's easy to rush to judgement and forget to take time to be mindful and even satisfied with what we are getting from gear. Regarding the Leckerton, I think your review helped me choose that piece and I recall how impressed I was with it with M-50s and Yuin PK1s. Leckerton value reminds me of Audio gd value.

Back to 1964 Ears Qs, I suspect I am going to get a lot of pleasure from these. They will be my go to phones when in bed and the wife is sleeping. I also have to admit that the craftsmanship and coolness factor with the translucent acrylic purple is hard to beat.

For those wondering about customer service and delivery times I did the rush and got them on time as promised. I ordered recessed plugs and they were not able to accommodate. Now that I have them I do not care one way or the other about recessed plugs as the regular are fine. I am also relieved to get a good seal without the silicon tips.

May 28, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #2,429 of 7,417
How comfortable do you guys find them for laying down on? I had my TF10's remolded, and while I'm having them re-done (the mold causes discomfort), I was dissapointed to learn that I cant lay down on my sides with them on without feeling pressure on the bowl of my ears; I'm just trying to gauge if it's just my remolds or if its a common tradeoff on customs.
With other universals(IE8 for example) they dont bother me one bit when lying down or sleeping.

May 28, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #2,430 of 7,417

Quote:
How comfortable do you guys find them for laying down on? I had my TF10's remolded, and while I'm having them re-done (the mold causes discomfort), I was dissapointed to learn that I cant lay down on my sides with them on without feeling pressure on the bowl of my ears; I'm just trying to gauge if it's just my remolds or if its a common tradeoff on customs.
With other universals(IE8 for example) they dont bother me one bit when lying down or sleeping.

I can lay on my side with my triples in, no problem. I haven't tried for any real length of time though, just a quick test when I first got them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back