1964 Ears
May 21, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #2,386 of 7,417
Are you saying that soft tips is prone to suction, while normal tips doesn't give this suction? I am asking because I paid 50 extra for soft tips, but I don't really want suction, I mean I bought customs because I was tired of the suction the tips give me. If not for the suction I wouldn't have bought a custom. I would buy two great universals instead of one custom.

Quote:
I just received them today. Can't wait to give them a thorough listening session on the plane. So far the fit is perfect, I opted for the soft gel tips and there is a nice satisfying seal with suction. The craftsmanship is excellent, there are no bubbles outside of the necessary ones to fit the drivers. The decals were engraved with a nice shiny metallic metal (light silver color) and the overall texture of the carbon fiber is gorgeous. So far, so good
smily_headphones1.gif

May 21, 2011 at 9:59 PM Post #2,387 of 7,417
It's not a very strong suction like the kinds you get with etymotic flanges. Rather its an airtight seal with a slight bit of suction present when you try to pull them out. You feel a little (and I emphasize *little*) pressure but none of the "phfoomp" that some silicone tips general give. Its relative however, I'm not bugged by it at all and I don't feel any discomfort (tried them on for half an hour in the car).

Quote:
Are you saying that soft tips is prone to suction, while normal tips doesn't give this suction? I am asking because I paid 50 extra for soft tips, but I don't really want suction, I mean I bought customs because I was tired of the suction the tips give me. If not for the suction I wouldn't have bought a custom. I would buy two great universals instead of one custom.

May 21, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #2,388 of 7,417

Quote:
It's not a very strong suction like the kinds you get with etymotic flanges. Rather its an airtight seal with a slight bit of suction present when you try to pull them out. You feel a little (and I emphasize *little*) pressure but none of the "phfoomp" that some silicone tips general give. Its relative however, I'm not bugged by it at all and I don't feel any discomfort (tried them on for half an hour in the car).

the same could be said of the full acrylic shells in my experience.

May 22, 2011 at 2:10 AM Post #2,389 of 7,417
Same here for the acrylic shells. The suction here is more like an indicative of a good seal, not the typical suctions you get when you stick the universals in too far or too tight or whatsoever.

Quote:

Quote:
the same could be said of the full acrylic shells in my experience.

May 22, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #2,390 of 7,417
I received my quads on Friday. They sound great and I could not be happier. The sound signature reminds me of the HD650's - full bass but very well balanced with the rest of the sound - very lush sounding. The highs sound great, extremely clear without being fatiguing at all. The left ear fits perfectly, the right feels like it might go into my ear a little too far but am still deciding if I should send them in for a refit. 

I opted for the soft tips and the sound isolation is the best I've heard - a clear step above the etymotics with the triple flange in terms of isolation. 

May 22, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #2,392 of 7,417
Interesting, these are my first customs, so the seal I described probably are common place even with acrylic shells. This prompted me to try and figure out what is different with the soft gels and after spending more time with the customs, I think I've garnered a better general idea. Compared to the acrylic body, the soft gel tips are a lot more flexible (bends and squeezes). I would imagine this would help when the ear canals are contorted during movement. So far I haven't had the seal break on me during normal activities (conversing, smiling, eating, etc.). Whether or not the soft gels can be contributed to that is hard to determine since I don't have a pair of acrylic customs to compare with.

Quote:
Same here for the acrylic shells. The suction here is more like an indicative of a good seal, not the typical suctions you get when you stick the universals in too far or too tight or whatsoever.

I was planning on waiting until some sort of brush metal engraving option was available but decided to have them apply the artwork using their current material. It came out beautifully with a light silver reflection. Here is a  poor quality image:

May 22, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #2,394 of 7,417
for those who are wondering how the soft tips compare to the stock full acrylic shells, I should be receiving my soft tip equipped customs back from the remold soon

May 23, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #2,396 of 7,417
Very nice @ foamybrian and stew1234... Very nice indeed!!

May 23, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #2,397 of 7,417
Glad I could help @ FlySweep. Some call it fanboyism, but I think I've heard enough top tip universals to know in general what's a great sounding IEM technically or not. Then add in my own subjective account of this being my sound signature, makes me feel these are a winner. They should be back in the hands of 1964 EARS now (no error of theirs) so I'm really missing them. I hope to get them back soon.

Quote:

You're in-depth, ongoing impressions on the quads in this thread went a long way in helping me decide on them (over the JH5pro).. I appreciate that

It sounds like anyone deciding between the two can't really go wrong on what they decide on since they've both got rave reviews.  My impression of the JH5pro from reading the multitude of reviews and PMs is that they're a smoother maturation on the DBA (which I enjoy quite a bit).. initially, this is exactly what i was looking for.  As time went on, I thought i need to add a phone with a different signature to my collection (I've got enough phones that lean to the brighter side of neutral or balanced).. the quads seem like the perfect choice.  My big worry was that the quad's warmth & smoothness could detract from the detail in the mid and treble regions.. it appears that shouldn't be an issue, though.. so I'm very very excited.

May 23, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #2,398 of 7,417
Hi everybody,
My first post on this forum.

I'm interested in getting my first pair of custom in-ears and I'm thinking about 1964 T or Q, however was also considering used JH13 and re-shell them.
Had my impressions done this morning and now is time to choose the product.

Does anybody here own both 1964 and JH13 and can speak about the differences?
Not sure if it's worth the hassle  and more $$ with JH13..

Thanks!

May 23, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #2,399 of 7,417
I'm looking into getting some replacement cables as I wait for the quads.. is the pin config on the JHAudio customs the same as the Westone/1964Ears?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back