1964 Ears
Feb 20, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #1,411 of 7,417

Seriously music_4321 what is your deal.

Yes, some of us may not have $$$$$$$ to spend on several high-end pieces of equipment but I'd like to think that I can tell when something sounds great. Do I have to justify my preferences or mention the fact that I've handled top-tier cans without owning them? Would that make my opinion "valid" in your opinion? Because clearly you seem to be the expert on all things. BTW, how do you like your 1964 ears? Oh wait, you're set on bashing a company/its products without hearing them and questioning what seems to be every single member who is attempting to post their impressions.

Maybe you'd like me to post up my credit card statement while I'm at it?

Quote:

Not to discredit all those new 'happy' 1964 owners, but most of them seem to be people with very little experience with either (several) top-tier IEMs or quality full-sized headphones, and I should imagine that for most of them any set of dual/ triple-driver customs would impress them quite a bit. I'd like to see the opinions of more experienced head-fiers who also have a good reputation, but I doubt we will be seeing many.

The fact that you or anybody else might have got a free set of 1964 customs or a very 'generous' discount and not disclosing such information, does not translate as the product itself being necessarily bad. It only means that your/ their reviews/ comments/ impressions may likely be biased and that the company most likely tried to provide a very good set, also ensuring there were no cosmetic (QC) flaws. And no, that would not be "diabolical", it would just be dishonest. There are people who got free sets of JH13/ UE/ Westone or heavily discounted sets, but we can safely say, for example, the JH13 remains one of the best, if not the best, of all the customs out there as evidenced by all the feedback of so many owners, both (very) experienced and inexperienced.

BTW, one member with a bit of experience already, Rawrster, was not exactly raving about his 1964-Ts. Again, that doesn't mean the 1964-Ts are bad/ mediocre.

That is misleading information. Some features of the 1964 as well as the sets themselves have gone up in price or will be going up soon. The price difference you quoted was only for the introductory 1964 prices and without the new extra charges. Also, with Westone customs - at least in the USA - you can often get free ear-impressions and shipping, and even in some cases get a discount depending on which audiologist you visit. Taking that into account, it's more accurate to say that the price difference would be between $300 - $400 depending on where you live and who you purchase your customs from (in some cases in can be even less than $300).

Also, Jermng is only one head-fier who owns both, hardly scientific proof that the ES5s & 1964-Qs are as close as you seem to insist. Also, it's a well known fact that at a certain point as one gets higher in the SQ chain, the differences in SQ get smaller - the so-called law of diminishing returns - where one pays a lot of money for minimal increments in SQ. However, for some people, those small increments are worth the extra $400/ $500/ $700, and so on. Others, however, state that those differences are not always that small.

Feb 20, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #1,412 of 7,417
Careful guys or this will go the way of the previous TWO SM3 threads which ironically had many of the same players.  Everything not related to 1964 impressions has already been said so lets get back to it already.

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:15 AM Post #1,413 of 7,417

Quote:
Careful guys or this will go the way of the previous TWO SM3 threads which ironically had many of the same players.  Everything not related to 1964 impressions has already been said so lets get back to it already.

Agreed. I'd like to give Music_4321 the benefit of the doubt and assume that he has good intentions for posting his concerns, despite it coming off a bit personal at times.

So once again: several people here have heard other customs (including top tier customs) and still feel that the 1964 products are a good buy. Same thing with universals.

Once again: build quality is not perfect, and some people have had to send theirs back for refits or fixes. This happens at times no matter which custom brand you choose and 1964 is not an exception. If you want perfectly clear flawless shells you still need to use Unique Melody for that.

Once again: prices have gone up in some areas. It's up to each individual if they think it is worth it to use 1964 or pay more to a bigger company like Westone.

The last thing I want to do is overhype this company. That sets unrealistic expectations and will leave new users disappointed. Frankly I'd like to see 1964 Ears last for a long time and not go the way of FreQ, and that isn't going to happen if there are a bunch of unhappy customers out there.

Feb 20, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #1,414 of 7,417

Hey, I saw ericp10 hanging out with Vitaly at a starbucks near my apartment! They exchanged 2 small suitcases without a word. Seems suspicious if you ask me... I think I'll start listening to music through tin cans instead of buying the Quads. 

No but seriously I'm buying them on friday. Anybody have pictures with them IN their ears? I'm curious how customs look from the outside. It may effect which color I get. I don't want to look like I have a hearing aid
blink.gif

Also, whats the big deal with clear canals? Who gives a (bleep)? That part is in your ear right? Can't even see it, so I don't get why anyone would want it. I think I'm going to go for translucent so I can see the cool stuff inside though
biggrin.gif

Feb 20, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #1,415 of 7,417

Quote:

Also, whats the big deal with clear canals? Who gives a (bleep)? That part is in your ear right? Can't even see it, so I don't get why anyone would want it. I think I'm going to go for translucent so I can see the cool stuff inside though
biggrin.gif

Might not be true for everyone but I thought about choosing clear tips for better ear-wax-visibility 
blink.gif
 (second thought was it could really be helpful if you want to remove it)

Feb 20, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #1,416 of 7,417
I got clear tips because the blue ones with clear tips looked cool.  I hope it looks cool on the translucent black.  I got translucent black because I didn't want to have something blue in my ears, and black sort of looks like just another pair of iems, which everyone is used to with me.  My wife really doesn't want to ask, and I really don't want to explain yet another thing in or over my ears, or yet another thing that the ear stuff plugs into...

As for the drama, soon I'll have to just wait for my quads, rather than checking this thread to see how other people think they sound...  
angry_face.gif
 And no, Ericp, that wasn't aimed at you, neither was the ignore thing up a ways, though you might find that block feature useful.  I have.

Feb 20, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #1,417 of 7,417

Quote:
Might not be true for everyone but I thought about choosing clear tips for better ear-wax-visibility 
blink.gif
 (second thought was it could really be helpful if you want to remove it)

I chose red and blue for the faceplate, and clear for the rest, because I want to make it easier when differentiating between left and right as well as a good view of the internals

Feb 20, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #1,418 of 7,417
I have transparent light blue and red and it is quite easy to see the internals of the shell. I would imagine clear is a bit easier but still not difficult to see everything inside the shells.

Feb 20, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #1,419 of 7,417
Hey Guys (and Gals), I've watched and posted on this thread since page 2 and have enjoyed reading (until the recent drama). I think I'm done now and will end with feedback to people who just want custom IEM's that sound good and look cool...I've been listening to the same songs for 40 years and with my new Quads, I hear sounds (signal processing, lyrics, grunts, laughs) that I've never heard before. I can't add much more that that. Peace out. 

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:37 PM Post #1,421 of 7,417
Well either way I've tried to be as honest as possible with all of my impressions of the 1964-T I have on this thread as well as any others that I have mentioned them which probably is only my review thread. I really like mine and now I want to find out what the UM build quality is like if my wallet can handle what I want to get.

Feb 21, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #1,422 of 7,417
Impressions done, will hopefully be sending everything off to 1964 tomorrow. Now to wait two months or so.. Stupid international shipping ): Ice blue and dragon red, both as transparent as possible. Hm. Oh and I have heard the JH5 demos (and they were excellent) so when I get my 1964Ts I will attempt to do a comparison with what I remember their sound being like. Won't be perfect or accurate but I will (hopefully) be able to tell you which I prefer.
Anyway with regards to the whole fiasco which happened a while ago, am I alone in supporting music's stand to a certain degree? I wouldn't go so far as to call ericp very biased due to whatever circumstances, but it is true that there are many placebo-fuelled exaggerations present in the thread, imho. Moderation and objectivity is hard to come by, by any means.

Feb 21, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #1,423 of 7,417
Nightslayer,

I don't know how long you have been on this forum, but if you do some back searching (and if the mods haven't erased them), you will find that Music has lobbied attacks against my character and a few others for way over a year now. To say it's personal for him would be an understatement. Skepticism has it's place in this forum. I have a been skeptic about certain products here (SM3 being one of them). But the bottomline for me has always been if I truly wanted to know about a product, I have sought to go out find out for myself.

What Music is doing, however, is a borderline attempt to attack my character because I have the audacity to tell him and others that it's none of their business how I obtain the products that I own. So far, I'm fine with his little snipes at me until he decides to show his true intentions and call me an outright liar and say directly what he keeps alluding to, that he believes I'm somehow unethical because I won't bow down to his whims and conspiracy theories about me and 1964 EARS, or any product I give the thumbs up to. Trust, I'm not the only one he has attempt to do this to.

As far as objectivity being hard to come by on this forum, I wholeheartedly agree with you. This is a forum full of subjective thoughts and views, and rightfully so in my opinion. It's up to you, the individual, to either accept what someone is saying about a product they have heard or not. I can only show objectivity to myself to make sure I'm giving a product a chance. What do I mean by that? Well, I've seen some people buy the SM3, for example, listen to it for 20 minutes and decide it's no good. I have never done that with any products I've heard. I make no bones as to not liking IEMs such as the TF10 or the DBA-02, but for me, I struggled for weeks trying to find something that I like about those two IEMs. I did find bits and pieces that I liked, but overall I couldn't stand the sound signatures of those two items. In the end, my opinion is subjective as to what pleases me or not.

Nightslayer, no one is holding a gun to your or Music's head in taking what I have to say about the 1964-Q with any weight. Frankly, to be quite honest, I don't care. And I still say the quad is the best IEM I've heard period - having heard many top tiers and it being my first custom. If you don't like me saying this please feel free to use the block button. If you feel that rawrster or others are more objective because they come across as less enthusiastic about a 1964 EARS products than I am, then by all means only seek out their opinions. As for the countless others - and trust it has been more wanting to know my opinions than not wanting to know it - please continue to inbox me or ask me questions on this forum and I will continue to share my experiences with the quad (the ONLY product I know about from this company). Let the naysayers - who haven't attempted over months to try this product but still remain negative beyond reasonable skepticism - continue to do what they do best. Happy listening fellow head-fiers.
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Impressions done, will hopefully be sending everything off to 1964 tomorrow. Now to wait two months or so.. Stupid international shipping ): Ice blue and dragon red, both as transparent as possible. Hm. Oh and I have heard the JH5 demos (and they were excellent) so when I get my 1964Ts I will attempt to do a comparison with what I remember their sound being like. Won't be perfect or accurate but I will (hopefully) be able to tell you which I prefer.
Anyway with regards to the whole fiasco which happened a while ago, am I alone in supporting music's stand to a certain degree? I wouldn't go so far as to call ericp very biased due to whatever circumstances, but it is true that there are many placebo-fuelled exaggerations present in the thread, imho. Moderation and objectivity is hard to come by, by any means.

Feb 21, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #1,424 of 7,417
I think I speak for the majority when I ask:

Hey guys, can we drop it?  None of the parties involved with the squabbling are making any friends carrying on, and it's safe to say we're all reading over it.   This thread is about 1964 Ears and their phones; let's keep it that way.

Feb 21, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #1,425 of 7,417
Hello everyone,

OK I am really bad with reviews, but here goes an attempt with my 1964 Quads.  I mainly listen to jazz, some classical, frank Sinatra, Billy Joel, Elton john, and almost anything with piano.

This is my first custom IEM so the only comparison I have is a old pair of westone 2 I used to own.  I really enjoy the music out of the quads,  there is plenty of bass and it doesn't over power the mids or highs.  When I listen to some jazz songs such as Dave brubeck and Bill evans the bass is there when its called for and its very tight and not muddy.  Also for example when I listen to Bill Evans Autumn leaves I can hear each instrutment very clearly, I love bass solos even more with jazz songs now.  I love listening to my Frank Sinatra songs with the quads, for me it feels like he is right in front of me singing.  For me I am extremely happy with this purchase and maybe someday i will get a balanced amp and balance these bad boys and see how they improve.

My setup is
all my songs are iTunes Lossless quality
5.5g ipod----TTVJ slim--- 1964 Quad

Enjoy listen everyone and have  a great day

tink97

Users who are viewing this thread

Back