1964 Ears
Feb 16, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #1,351 of 7,417
Which audiologist did you go to?

I'm not sure if I can make the NY meet due to work but if I do go I can bring it since it's the only thing I can bring since I'm 99% sure I'm heading straight from work so will get there late. Also if you are in Manhattan the times I am you might be able to get a quick listen if your ears aren't small..won't give you the complete sound but should be a rough guide if you like them or not.

I agree about audiologists. I can see why some people do DIY impressions but I'm not comfortable with that and I'd rather have someone who knows what they are doing. I also figure $50 for impressions from the place I got it from isn't bad.

Feb 17, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #1,352 of 7,417
I totally agree with you and would certainly prefer to not cut corners on this first customs. The deal here is I have two audiologists to choose from right now:

1. Hear for Life - Listed on Westone and UE audiologists lists, offering to do impressions for me for $50, looks like an experienced team. Rather very far from my place.
2. Musician's Clinic of Canada - Listed on UE and Westone's lists as well, inmotion here has done his impressions with them and highly recommends, is only a few blocks away from my place, but I am not able to contact them. Their voicemail says both their audiologists are away and will be back march 9.

So I'm kind of on a dilemma here, should I wait for the highly recommended and trustable one, hoping they charge less than or equal $50, or should I go to the other one that's also listed but no one has had them done before however readily available and looks skilled enough.

Any opinions guys?

Also, can anyone here compare the MTPC's bass with the Quads in detail please? I'm only worried that the Quads will have too much bass, which I think the MTPC's are about enough and probably not hoping for more.

Quote:
Oh that sucks.  I don't know if it matters, but as these are my first customs, I decided I'm not going to cut corners, particularly not on the impressions.  If they're not responding then it might show that they're not the people you want to go to, especially if you find you need to get them refitted.  Luckily people posted the audiologist I went to on the boards and he was absolutely great, but he's also listed on JHAudio's site.  I figure if they're listed on JHAudio, they must be worthwhile even if it's more for the impressions.  Might save money on the postage alone in the long run (both making it in time for the deal and getting them in time for the free shipping deal).

I'm hoping mine get started soon.  I checked the tracking and it's in Oregon already, I'm hoping they get it tomorrow so I can pay it off and get me some customs to try out before the next NY Meet.

Feb 17, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #1,353 of 7,417
Hey Patanin1st,

MCC quoted me $30 :wink:

Quote:
I totally agree with you and would certainly prefer to not cut corners on this first customs. The deal here is I have two audiologists to choose from right now:

1. Hear for Life - Listed on Westone and UE audiologists lists, offering to do impressions for me for $50, looks like an experienced team. Rather very far from my place.
2. Musician's Clinic of Canada - Listed on UE and Westone's lists as well, inmotion here has done his impressions with them and highly recommends, is only a few blocks away from my place, but I am not able to contact them. Their voicemail says both their audiologists are away and will be back march 9.

So I'm kind of on a dilemma here, should I wait for the highly recommended and trustable one, hoping they charge less than or equal $50, or should I go to the other one that's also listed but no one has had them done before however readily available and looks skilled enough.

Any opinions guys?

Also, can anyone here compare the MTPC's bass with the Quads in detail please? I'm only worried that the Quads will have too much bass, which I think the MTPC's are about enough and probably not hoping for more.

Feb 17, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #1,354 of 7,417
Aleksy just emailed me apologizing for the wait. They accidently sent the order confirmation to the wrong email address. In that email it said that they were also shipping custom earplugs. I never ordered them, but thought that they were sending them as an apology for the increased wait times.

According to Aleksy, they're sending them tomorrow or Saturday, without the custom 'plugs :frowning2:. I'm sure they'll be awesome when they arrive.

Feb 17, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #1,355 of 7,417

Quote:
Which audiologist did you go to?

I'm not sure if I can make the NY meet due to work but if I do go I can bring it since it's the only thing I can bring since I'm 99% sure I'm heading straight from work so will get there late. Also if you are in Manhattan the times I am you might be able to get a quick listen if your ears aren't small..won't give you the complete sound but should be a rough guide if you like them or not.

I agree about audiologists. I can see why some people do DIY impressions but I'm not comfortable with that and I'd rather have someone who knows what they are doing. I also figure $50 for impressions from the place I got it from isn't bad.

My ears themselves are large, but I don't know how well it'd fit.  But thanks for the offer.

And I went with Dominick Servedio over at 57th St and 6th Ave.  The choice was easy considering they are just a block from my office 
biggrin.gif

Feb 17, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #1,357 of 7,417
Well my Quads arrived earlier today and have been testing them out throughout the day... It was slightly awekward at work as I was struggling to get them out when coworkers tried to talk to me... That being said, it's becoming more and more like second nature.

In terms of first impression, I am very impressed.

Fit is good but then again, I have nothing to compare these to as this is my first set of customs. My last set of earphones were a set of UE EB and this is a considerable step up.

I personally was/am a big fan of the EBs I know a lot of headfiers will disagree with me due to the bass overwhelming the mids/highs but as I listen to a lot of electro (I DJ as a hobby) they were great. Yes, I like a warmer sound vs a clinical one (I use to have ER6s).

In that sense, I personally feel that the Quads are basicly the EBs without the mids/highs getting overshadowed by the bass. That being said, the bass of the quads are still phenomenal (and boy does it go deeeeeeep) but the vocals and strings are much more forward.

I've been using them straight from my iPod but also tried them with my uDAC2.

Out of the iPod, the Quads sound great and weren't too difficult to drive.

Once I plugged them to my uDAC2, the Quads were truely mind blowing. Once more, first set of customs but WOW.

Sound stage, instrument seperation, vocal clarity...... all of this while the bass is still loud and clear and pounding deep inside my head. I was playing Deadmau5's Raise Your Weapon and I just couldn't be belive how much detail the Quads were putting out.

It's still too early for to make any final conclusions and I may very well be in a honeymoon phase but as of now, I am one VERY happy headfier.

Cheers!

Feb 18, 2011 at 12:03 AM Post #1,358 of 7,417
inmotion (and others!) - when you have the chance, would you comment on how the bass is with music that is not bass-centric?  I'm an old guy, classic rock, acoustic, vocals, classic and prog rock, a bit of old metal, AC/DC, that kind of stuff, but lately lots of acoustic, vocal and classical.  I've ordered the quads, as other reports are that the bass is phenomenal and deep, but only when the recording contains it.  I am hoping they are actually the warm and fun side of accurate, similar to my Denon D7000's.  If they are actually bass monsters at all times, I think I would switch to the triples.  Most descriptions of the triples just sound too ah, sterile or polite to me.  Anyway, I am just trying to assure myself that buyer's remorse in choosing the Quads over the Triples is not necessary!

Feb 18, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #1,359 of 7,417
Well there's another reason to get you order in by March 1.  Apparently any orders paid for after March 1 will be charged an extra $25 to get clear tips.  They haven't put the announcement on twitter or their website, but they posted it to their facebook page.  So anyone that wanted them with clear tips might want to make a move before the end of the month.

Feb 18, 2011 at 5:51 AM Post #1,360 of 7,417
Ouch! 1964 Ears is really killing me with their deadlines now... if only someone would take my Monster Turbine Pro Coppers quick...
triportsad.gif

Quote:
Well there's another reason to get you order in by March 1.  Apparently any orders paid for after March 1 will be charged an extra $25 to get clear tips.  They haven't put the announcement on twitter or their website, but they posted it to their facebook page.  So anyone that wanted them with clear tips might want to make a move before the end of the month.

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:31 AM Post #1,361 of 7,417
Congrats inmotion! I'm so glad others are finally getting the quads and can describe on their own what I've been saying all alone, yet not be accused of having some diabolical special interests...lol. Enjoy.

Quote:
Well my Quads arrived earlier today and have been testing them out throughout the day... It was slightly awekward at work as I was struggling to get them out when coworkers tried to talk to me... That being said, it's becoming more and more like second nature.

In terms of first impression, I am very impressed.

Fit is good but then again, I have nothing to compare these to as this is my first set of customs. My last set of earphones were a set of UE EB and this is a considerable step up.

I personally was/am a big fan of the EBs I know a lot of headfiers will disagree with me due to the bass overwhelming the mids/highs but as I listen to a lot of electro (I DJ as a hobby) they were great. Yes, I like a warmer sound vs a clinical one (I use to have ER6s).

In that sense, I personally feel that the Quads are basicly the EBs without the mids/highs getting overshadowed by the bass. That being said, the bass of the quads are still phenomenal (and boy does it go deeeeeeep) but the vocals and strings are much more forward.

I've been using them straight from my iPod but also tried them with my uDAC2.

Out of the iPod, the Quads sound great and weren't too difficult to drive.

Once I plugged them to my uDAC2, the Quads were truely mind blowing. Once more, first set of customs but WOW.

Sound stage, instrument seperation, vocal clarity...... all of this while the bass is still loud and clear and pounding deep inside my head. I was playing Deadmau5's Raise Your Weapon and I just couldn't be belive how much detail the Quads were putting out.

It's still too early for to make any final conclusions and I may very well be in a honeymoon phase but as of now, I am one VERY happy headfier.

Cheers!

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #1,362 of 7,417
you could try kozee solutions. For the US, its $80, and they send you the impression material, cotton dams and injector. I'll be finding out how well they can pull off the reshell, but the silicone mold for your coppers should be simple enough to do.

Quote:
Ouch! 1964 Ears is really killing me with their deadlines now... if only someone would take my Monster Turbine Pro Coppers quick...
triportsad.gif

Feb 18, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #1,363 of 7,417
I'm going to have to express my concern/dismay at the explosion of optional charges they are implementing.  I think they are in danger of competing at price points w/ bigger competitors rather than maintaining their niche.  They better have the demand to sustain these continued increases and charges.

Feb 18, 2011 at 3:28 PM Post #1,364 of 7,417

Quote:
I'm going to have to express my concern/dismay at the explosion of optional charges they are implementing.  I think they are in danger of competing at price points w/ bigger competitors rather than maintaining their niche.  They better have the demand to sustain these continued increases and charges.

X2, $50 for recessed sockets, $75 for a 3-5 business day rush build, $50-100 for a minor refit, $190 for a remold without removable cabling ($30 extra) $25 for insured shipping?...is that right? oh and everything is going up in price in june. sorry to say, even after placing my order for my quads, my confidence in this company is dwindling.  oh and $25 for clear tips, and $50 for a custom color. also, shipping time/build time is now so slow I've nearly forgotten of my customs

Feb 18, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #1,365 of 7,417
I think that demand is taking them by surprise. I will say this though, their customer service is outstanding. I have had only positive experiences with them and that is a great change from some other vendors in this industry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back