1964 Ears
Feb 4, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #1,171 of 7,417

Quote:

Hi again, I have another question that I just thought about. When I make my impressions should the audicien somehow mention what is the right impression and what is the left one? I do not think that my ears are entirely the seem. Are there any markings on the 1964 ear final product to indicate what is left and what is right ear? Thanks in advance for any information, Greetings, Anouk,

depends on what color you use as well, if not, the right piece will have red lettering (initials, model #, etc etc) while the left will have blue lettering (initials, model # etc etc) or the color scheme you used, for example, I did red for the right faceplate, blue for the left

James

Feb 4, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #1,172 of 7,417

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I noticed the 1964-Q (46ohms) has more than twice the impedance of JH11 (18ohms) and UM Mage (21ohms). So does that warrant the use of an amp? I am looking at the iBasso D12 to pair with the iPod video 5.5G for use with the 1964-Q.

@rawrster: the colours certainly look more saturated on their FB page.

Impedance doesn't really make everything. It's important to compare impedance with sensitivity. You have to also distinguish impedance DC between impedance @1kHz.
With impedance of 46Ohm @1kHz and sensitivity of 118dB they should be still easy to drive however they might be a littli bit quieter

it can be very deceiving at times, for example,  the westone 3's are rated at 30ohms with a sensitivity of 107 versus the triple fi 10 at 32 ohms and 117db yet at the same volume, the triple fi's are noticeably more quiet

Yes because DC impedance and 1kHz impedance are two different beasts as well as SPL and sensitivity

Feb 4, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #1,173 of 7,417

Quote:
Yes because DC impedance and 1kHz impedance are two different beasts as well as SPL and sensitiviiIty

Is there an article anywhere on this (and that stuff in general) which you would recommend?  I'm an engineer, but a biomedical...and they don't always teach us the stuff we REALLY want to learn
darthsmile.gif

Feb 4, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #1,174 of 7,417

Quote:
Hi everyone, I have two questions about the 1964 ears iems firstly about over the ear wearing and secondly about artwork. With some other brands you can customize the way they connect the cable (either on the top or the bottom of the housing) for straight down wear or over the ear wear of the cable. Is this also the case with the 1964 or can you wear them over the ear as is? Also I am wondering about artwork. Obviously for me it wont matter (I am blind) but I was wondering if it is visible to other people if i have the iems in my ears (like with earrings). If not then I wont bother. Greetings, Anouk,

Hi Anouk, they will come for over the ear wear, i'm fairly sure it would be near impossible to wear them cable down. The artwork will be on the faceplate which is the part that faces out so people will be able to see it if they are looking at your ears.

Quote:

Hi again, I have another question that I just thought about. When I make my impressions should the audicien somehow mention what is the right impression and what is the left one? I do not think that my ears are entirely the seem. Are there any markings on the 1964 ear final product to indicate what is left and what is right ear? Thanks in advance for any information, Greetings, Anouk,

Don't worry to much left and right they will be able to tell which side is which. They will mark them with writing on the inside of the impression, but i imagine you will be able to tell which side is left and right very quickly by feel. If you really wanted you could probably have them do an R one faceplate and an L on the other as the artwork on the faceplate is engraved and you would be able to feel that.

Feb 4, 2011 at 5:52 PM Post #1,175 of 7,417
He's blind, but there will be no way to mix them up. The left monitor simply won't be able to fit in your right ear, and vice versa.

EricP

Feb 4, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #1,176 of 7,417
telling left and right by feel shouldn't be too hard, the smooth faceplate faces away from your ears and the strain relief should be facing forward/slightly up

Feb 4, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #1,177 of 7,417

Quote:

Quote:
Yes because DC impedance and 1kHz impedance are two different beasts as well as SPL and sensitiviiIty

Is there an article anywhere on this (and that stuff in general) which you would recommend?  I'm an engineer, but a biomedical...and they don't always teach us the stuff we REALLY want to learn
darthsmile.gif

I believe even someone on Head-fi has covered this topic, there was a big thread somewhere regarding impedance issue.

Feb 4, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #1,178 of 7,417
I just had my impressions done at Ellen Anderson Hearing Services in Fairfield, CA. If you are in the North bay area, Grace does a great job.  She did impressions and ordered a pair of Westone hearing protectors for me a couple of years ago  I took in the form for doing the impressions.  We got to the part about 2" bite block, and she says hmmmm, stares for a second, and walks out of the room.  She comes back in polishing a Meyer lemon she picked from the tree across the parking lot.  "The owner of the tree is a client, she always tells me to take lemons!"  It worked perfectly, and was pretty tasty.  After squirting both ears with silicone, she spun me around in the chair and said "now I can laugh at you!"  It was pretty funny (me sitting there with goo in my ears and a lemon in my mouth), she has a great sense of humor.

I have sent them off to 1964 ears, so my new quads should be here in a couple of weeks.  I may try and rush them for the bay area meet-up on the 19th, or not... I just need to figure out what color I want.  I think Joker did the red wine ones?  I may copy that with clear tips.  Otherwise it will likely be the light blue, smoke or green translucent with clear tips, or completely clear, maybe with red (right) and blue (left) tips.  I can't decide!

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #1,179 of 7,417

I just did a test for you. I closed my eyes and grabbed my customs without looking at which was right or left. It was easy to tell right from left just by feeling them. When you feel the part with the holes you will know that is the bottom part of customs. Once you have that established, you know that part always face inward or toward your ears. Again, there is no way possible to put customs in the wrong ear, especially without extreme discomfort.

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #1,180 of 7,417
Sorry for the typos . I'm on a cell phone typing with a mind of its on.

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:40 PM Post #1,181 of 7,417

Greeting everyone! Well on Wednesday I went and had my impressions made and afterwards stopped by their office to drop them off. They were incredibly gracious and spent a good deal of time explaining the differences between the models. I am very new to this so I really appreciated it.

I ended up going with the quads, translucent grey with clear tips. I am counting down the days now, it’s been two and it sucks. So now as I wait I had the misfortune of running across the “show us your portable rig” thread. I hate this site. It’s plain evil but it seems to never leave my browser. I guess that means I should hate tabs as well.

I will be using my iPhone 4 as my player due the fact it is always on me so my work can pester me at will and I don’t want to carry another DAP around. From past experience with so-so earbuds it has ok output but I am getting sorta worried that the quads are going to really point out its flaws.

Does anyone else use quads off of an iPhone 4? How does it sound? I have also been looking at portable amps and trying to figure out if I need one which all in all pretty silly since I haven’t listened to the quads yet.

Anyways, I will post pictures when I get them.

Feb 4, 2011 at 10:55 PM Post #1,182 of 7,417
my customs have almost arrived.
the excitement

Feb 4, 2011 at 11:14 PM Post #1,183 of 7,417
I'll try to do some more listening during the weekend. I've been listening to the CK10 since I picked them up and the 1964-T have gone in my UE case :p The 1964-T is still pretty positive but I need more time. As for the stage it does seem to be smaller than my Livewires but I think they have a pretty large stage for an iem.

I think I'm going to have to buy one of the Moon Audio iem cables after I get some feedback since it looks much more comfortable than the ES cable. I really do not like the memory wire and while the cable the 1964-T has is a bit better due to the increase tube length it still is not comfortable and does cause some pain on part of the outer area of my ears and I think it will be solved with that cable unless someone knows of a similar cable to the ES but without the memory wire.

Feb 5, 2011 at 3:22 AM Post #1,185 of 7,417
Hey everyone, thanks for all the info! These are my first customs so I am a bit owrried especially since I dont live in the neighbourhood. I am thinking of paying extra for a quicker job because at this time I only have my iphone earbuds and am not satisfied with them. Oh I will also mainly use my iphone 4 as source although I am thinking of getting a stepdance for home use and then also seeing if it iwll improve the iphone 4. Greetings, Anouk, ps, I am a she not a he.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back