1964 Ears
Jan 12, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #886 of 7,417

Quote:
Now how did Anaxilus manage to get himself banned?

Anyway, I would like to think a fellow head-fier for sending me a set DIY awg silver custom cables to try out with my 1964-Q. I have an option to buy these cables and I probably will.

For those who say cables don't make a difference influencing the sound of headphones/IEMs, I have to wonder if they have ever tried various cables. To my ears, there are some clear differences between the stock 1964 EARS cable and the custom cable. Which one is better? Now that hasn't been determined, and I doubt it will be. I don't think one is actually better than the other in sound, but each presents the sound signature in a different light.

The stock cable gives the music more soundstage, pushes the guitars more up front, pushes the mids and vocals a little bit behind the drums and guitars, and you hear the high end somewhat more upfront in the mix.

The custom cable deepens and tightens the bass even more (I didn't think tist was possible with the sound I was already getting out of the quad), brings the mids and vocals upfront more in the mix; pushes the highs back in the mix somewhat (but you still get the extension and details), and just overall adds even more weight to the music.

I like the highs, but I'm not huge treble man, so having the highs pushed back some in the mix doesn't bother me, but might bother others. So I'm torn. I can't really recommend the custom cable over the stock cable, or vice versa. I like them both and can see myself switching and using both depending on my mood. It's great to hear how versatile the quad's sound can be.

I was wondering the same thing...

Those 1964's sound attractive mate, I'm contemplating between this and something else....

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #887 of 7,417

Quote:

Yeah that's what I mean Ear Monitors....see this is what I don't what to happen but it's normal not a big deal hope all goes well. Your ears need to hear what you brought plus the head-fi community is awaiting impressions. 
biggrin.gif
 Another note is you might have weird ears...what impressions did you take open-mouth, closed, half-closed?

My audiologist used a standard bite block. Like I said, I went to guy with a ton of experience doing this for custom iems (for musicians, mostly). I hope it all works out, too. I'm sure it will. I went with two small companies with excellent customer service who are based in the U.S., so I saved myself endless problems versus companies abroad or with questionable customer service tales...

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:30 PM Post #888 of 7,417
Congrats hope it turns out well when you get them back you've duty is to report. 
wink.gif

Jan 12, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #889 of 7,417
Looks like you are enjoying your 1964-Q even more. Hopefully I'll enjoy my 1964-T just as much as you do. As for your new sound did it ever occur to you that the treble might seem to be pushed back due to the bass and mids?

I'm just hoping for no need for a refit. If that happens I'll be very happy since I don't like dealing with that stuff but I'll have to wait until the end of the month.

Jan 12, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #890 of 7,417

Oh, it definitely occurred to me that is the reason why....lol. And it doesn't bother me really, because I am a bass and mids type of guy. But I like the original sound signature a lot too. Hurry up and get those triples!!
Quote:
Looks like you are enjoying your 1964-Q even more. Hopefully I'll enjoy my 1964-T just as much as you do. As for your new sound did it ever occur to you that the treble might seem to be pushed back due to the bass and mids?

I'm just hoping for no need for a refit. If that happens I'll be very happy since I don't like dealing with that stuff but I'll have to wait until the end of the month.

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #891 of 7,417

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah that's what I mean Ear Monitors....see this is what I don't what to happen but it's normal not a big deal hope all goes well. Your ears need to hear what you brought plus the head-fi community is awaiting impressions. 
biggrin.gif
 Another note is you might have weird ears...what impressions did you take open-mouth, closed, half-closed?

My audiologist used a standard bite block. Like I said, I went to guy with a ton of experience doing this for custom iems (for musicians, mostly). I hope it all works out, too. I'm sure it will. I went with two small companies with excellent customer service who are based in the U.S., so I saved myself endless problems versus companies abroad or with questionable customer service tales...

Mine was like fk that.
You don't need it.
blah blah blah.
I've done Gwen stefani and incubus blah blah blah.

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #892 of 7,417

Quote:
Quote:

Anyway, I would like to think a fellow head-fier for sending me a set DIY awg silver custom cables to try out with my 1964-Q. I have an option to buy these cables and I probably will.

For those who say cables don't make a difference influencing the sound of headphones/IEMs, I have to wonder if they have ever tried various cables. To my ears, there are some clear differences between the stock 1964 EARS cable and the custom cable. Which one is better? Now that hasn't been determined, and I doubt it will be. I don't think one is actually better than the other in sound, but each presents the sound signature in a different light.

The stock cable gives the music more soundstage, pushes the guitars more up front, pushes the mids and vocals a little bit behind the drums and guitars, and you hear the high end somewhat more upfront in the mix.

The custom cable deepens and tightens the bass even more (I didn't think tist was possible with the sound I was already getting out of the quad), brings the mids and vocals upfront more in the mix; pushes the highs back in the mix somewhat (but you still get the extension and details), and just overall adds even more weight to the music.

I like the highs, but I'm not huge treble man, so having the highs pushed back some in the mix doesn't bother me, but might bother others. So I'm torn. I can't really recommend the custom cable over the stock cable, or vice versa. I like them both and can see myself switching and using both depending on my mood. It's great to hear how versatile the quad's sound can be.

I was wondering the same thing...

Those 1964's sound attractive mate, I'm contemplating between this and something else....

Can't go wrong :)

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #893 of 7,417

Quote:

Can you pm who is selling them? I want one to compare.
Also any idea where you can get a high quality 3.5 to 3.5 mm inter-connector?

Jan 12, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #895 of 7,417
Jan 12, 2011 at 4:20 PM Post #896 of 7,417

Quote:
Hurry up and get those triples!!

It's in the hands of 1964 Ears now. I also paid a couple days ago so I'm in no rush. I'm more anxious about getting a refund back. I always thought paypal refunds were immediate but I could be wrong but anyway I digress..

If this was my first customs I'd probably be more anxious but I'm fairly satisfied with what I'm hearing out of my customs right now. 1964 Ears offers good products and it got some favorable reviews by opinions I trust so that was that. I get to start working on a completely different direction after the 1964-T so I'm excited for that as well although my wallet is in hiding right now so that may take a while.

Jan 12, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #897 of 7,417

Quote:
Can you pm who is selling them? I want one to compare.
Also any idea where you can get a high quality 3.5 to 3.5 mm inter-connector?

I think I have the only pair that the seller has. Now, the seller looks at this forum. Perhaps he wants to answer your question in regards to who makes them. I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy this set. The seller can give you second opinion about what he liked and didn't like about the cables. By the way, I forgot to add how beautiful these cables are with real cherry wood (I think it's cherry wood) used at the connector post, the splitter and slider. Very eloquent cables, but they are thinner than the stock cables. I don't know if the that equal more fragile. I hope I don't find that part out...lol.

Jan 12, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #898 of 7,417
Update on custom tips for the mtpc. Well, they do need to go back so Vitaliy can figure out a way to fit the custom tip more securely on the nozzle--which I'm sure he will-- and for a fit adjustment. But I can say with confidence, more or less, that these do have very nice sound and they will great comfort when adjusted a bit.

Jan 12, 2011 at 6:35 PM Post #899 of 7,417
No wonder Eric enjoys it so much. I did find the bass overshadowing the treble.

Quote:
Oh, it definitely occurred to me that is the reason why....lol. And it doesn't bother me really, because I am a bass and mids type of guy. But I like the original sound signature a lot too. Hurry up and get those triples!!
Quote:

Jan 12, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #900 of 7,417

Kulun did I pass you up on the post count....

I guess this wouldn't have anything to do with it...
rolleyes.gif

Also can't wait til you get your customs. Impressions, impressions, impressions.

Shows which members contributed the most posts during the time period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back