1964 Ears
Jan 10, 2011 at 10:14 AM Post #856 of 7,417

Quote:
@project86: Thanks for the answer. However I usually listen to my headphones at home so using the high end sources that you have wouldn't be an option for me. If it was a transportable rig with say your hud-mx1 would the difference be just as clear? Also how big a difference are you talking about? stock buds to top level universal or mid level to top? I'm basically trying to see where my next step is after the 1964-T.

Hard to say because it really depends on how much each model hits your specific preferences. But in general no, the differences are not huge.... certainly not like the difference between Apple earbuds and top level universals. Once you get to a high level (and I consider even UE4/JH5/1964-T/LiveWires duals on a pretty high level) then improvements are modest and come at a very high price. But such is the case with all high end audio. The difference between a very good speaker and a great speaker can often set you back many thousands of dollars. So in a way it really makes the most sense, in a dollars-to-sound-quality aspect, to stick with one of the aforementioned entry level customs and a good all in one unit like the Audinst, iBasso D10, Leckerton UHA-6, etc. Once you start chasing that last 10% of performance, you really end up paying for it. On the other hand, that's where a lot of the magic happens, where reproduced music starts to really approach the experience of actual live music, so I'm not saying it is a worthless endeavor; just an expensive one.

EDIT: 9homme - great choice of colors, those look really good!

Jan 10, 2011 at 10:58 AM Post #857 of 7,417
Nice at 9homme and congrats!!

rawrster: Of course, I can't compare my quad to any other custom being that the 1964-Q is the first custom I've ever owned, but I can tell you buddy that the quad sounds better than any of the universals I've owned (and that is including all of the top tier universals I've heard or owned).

And when I say sounds better, I do mean by a wide margin. Again, FX700 timbre stays ahead of the quad by a smaller margin, and Earsonics SM3/SM2 mids are a little bit fuller in the piano region (probably because they are tuned so forward), but the quad reign supreme in details, micro-details, weight, tallness, headstage and soundstage. Treble extension is far reaching but smoothed out and I since no roll off on either end of the sound spectrum. Just wanted to add a little nugget of perspective from my point of view to projects86's wonderful impressions and review.

I was interested in the getting the Westone W4, but after reading a couple of first impressions from those head.fiers who have actually heard it, I don't think it will sound the same at quad (meaning it will be much more neutral in the bass region and more like the ES5 or a better sounding UMX3 based on the impressions I've read). I don't think it would be for me based on what I'm reading, although I admit to not ever hearing any Westone product.

Quote:
1964ears just send me my 1964-Q's photo before it will be shipped tomorrow.

Jan 10, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #858 of 7,417
9homme, those customs look great!

Thanks for the responses guys. That's what I was looking for. I also totally forgot about the diminishing returns and the fact that I'm probably at that point. I would like to get a pair of high end customs one day but that probably won't happen for at least a year or longer. I'm not comfortable with spending close to a grand and only get small gains in quality and that money could be better spent on a headphone rig which should be my next step as I think portable is coming to a halt for at least a year.

It is confusing however as some say the differences between entry level customs and top are huge while others say it's not as large but coming from an opinion of someone I'm a bit more familiar with helps.

Jan 10, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #860 of 7,417

Quote:

Thanks for the responses guys. That's what I was looking for. I also totally forgot about the diminishing returns and the fact that I'm probably at that point. I would like to get a pair of high end customs one day but that probably won't happen for at least a year or longer. I'm not comfortable with spending close to a grand and only get small gains in quality and that money could be better spent on a headphone rig which should be my next step as I think portable is coming to a halt for at least a year.

It is confusing however as some say the differences between entry level customs and top are huge while others say it's not as large but coming from an opinion of someone I'm a bit more familiar with helps.

Yep, opinions will certainly vary. For example: some people just can't stand the K701 sound. Others find it very nice but will say it is completely blown away by the newer flagship models. Others, like Srajan from 6moons.com, still consider it a reference level headphone, rated below the LCD-2, T1, HD800, and HE-6, on par with the HE-5LE, and above the PS1000 and W5000. So too will the differences between a JH5 and a JH16 (for example) be stated differently by different people. For me, it is worth it to go all the way up, but I try to be realistic about it. As you said, diminishing returns.

Jan 10, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #861 of 7,417
I've already ordered the 1964-D and hopefully will be able to give a review once they come in.

Jan 10, 2011 at 4:09 PM Post #862 of 7,417

Quote:
Quote:

Yep, opinions will certainly vary. For example: some people just can't stand the K701 sound. Others find it very nice but will say it is completely blown away by the newer flagship models. Others, like Srajan from 6moons.com, still consider it a reference level headphone, rated below the LCD-2, T1, HD800, and HE-6, on par with the HE-5LE, and above the PS1000 and W5000. So too will the differences between a JH5 and a JH16 (for example) be stated differently by different people. For me, it is worth it to go all the way up, but I try to be realistic about it. As you said, diminishing returns.

Have you ever tried the L3000?

Jan 10, 2011 at 4:31 PM Post #863 of 7,417

Quote:
I've already ordered the 1964-D and hopefully will be able to give a review once they come in.

Great! let me know if you do, and I'll post a link in the OP
smile.gif

PS: this goes for all of you that wish to share their opinion

Jan 10, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #864 of 7,417

Quote:
Quote:

Great! let me know if you do, and I'll post a link in the OP
smile.gif

PS: this goes for all of you that wish to share their opinion

They should be about 90 percent + similar to the 1964-T.
With less bass in the 4db region and more forward mids/highs.

Jan 10, 2011 at 6:16 PM Post #866 of 7,417
I've completed my payment and 1964-T should be completed in 2-3 weeks. I am a bit annoyed that my refund from another purchase still hasn't been put back in my paypal account so I had to pay a bit more than I was expected. One would think that a week after refund has been processed and money should be back in your paypal account.

Here's for hoping it fits well the first time around and that I could get the foam insert instead of that pouch thing. However no big deal if I just get the pouch and case since my current customs are inside the TF10 UE case so I'll put the foam from my current pelican 1010 case inside that.

Jan 10, 2011 at 8:06 PM Post #867 of 7,417
Congrats @ rawrster. At this rate, you will have your 1964-T full review done before my 1964-Q review is posted...lol (it won't happen). I'm anxious to hear your initial impressions of the triple. It may (will) help me decide on purchasing them since we both know the other's sound signature pretty much. Happy listening buddy.

Jan 10, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #868 of 7,417
I don't know if I'm going to review them yet. It will depend on how much I like them and if I want to write a review on them.

On another note I got a response today and unfortunately they no longer have the foam insert so I'll just be getting some pouch with mine. I do have the foam but cutting it myself isnt quite the same :p I'm a bit disappointed by the answer as I did like the foam insert with it already cut out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back