1964 Ears
Dec 5, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #332 of 7,417
It sucks that 1964 is a relatively new company. I'd like to have a shootout between JH5, Mage, and the 1964T. I think that would be an interesting write up. Unfortunately, I doubt anyone would own any of these at the same time. :p

Dec 6, 2010 at 4:59 AM Post #334 of 7,417
Ok .. coming back on topic, 

My 1964 IEMS have arrived!! :)

Here's a quick preview taken with my iPhone on the dining table ..... 

Just had them for 15mins and listening to them as I'm typing this ..... initially impressions are very interesting. 

Build quality is good - for the price, I wouldn't expect anything more. I could see where they made savings - smaller Pelican case, no cleaning cloth, no OTO insert liquid, no fancy catalogue & T-shirt but they included a VERY USEFUL 1/4" adapter which I find to be a more practical & useful inclusion. :) I'm glad they saved on the "non-essentials" which doesn't affect the IEM which is what we're paying for anyway. :) 

Probably stating the obvious when I say they sound VERY different from the ES5s .... the bump at 50Hz is definitely obvious .... I'm doing an initially listen on some Fourplay, Eagles, Livingston Taylor, John Mayer and the bass bump is definitely getting my attention .... Treble seems to be slightly shadowed only because of the heavier bass - definitely not as forward as the ES5s. 

PLEASE keep in mind the above comments are only with less than 30mins of listening so it's nothing conclusive at all .... and keep in mind the ES5s cost almost 2-3x more, so any comparison & review has to keep in the right perspective.

I'll reserve comment on other areas till I get to listen to them more and give them a little burn in time. 

Oh, the comments above are for the Quads .... I'll have my wife give thoughts on the Triples a little later on. :) 

Dec 6, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #335 of 7,417
It seems the Quads are sounding as they were designed to. Anxiously awaiting a triples review.
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 6, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #336 of 7,417
jermng, keep the impressions coming, please. Define what that bass bump sounds like (50Hz is quite low bass) and how they stack up against ES5 over time. 

Dec 6, 2010 at 12:29 PM Post #338 of 7,417
Nicer initial impressions @ jermng. Mine, unfortunately, are caught up in post office/mailroom hell. Our post offices suck. They are here, but the mailroom doesn't seem to think they picked them  up yet, although the post office says notice was given to pick them up. So the mailroom is saying, "we'll look for them at that post office tomorrow." LOL. Of course, this always happens when I'm waiting for something like this. Now, I could go to the mailroom and they'll be sitting waiting for me. Stay tuned....lol

Eric

Dec 6, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #339 of 7,417

Quote:
jermng, keep the impressions coming, please. Define what that bass bump sounds like (50Hz is quite low bass) and how they stack up against ES5 over time. 

The 50Hz bump has a pretty wide Q (bandwidth) so it affects frequencies all the way up to slightly beyond 250Hz. The noticeable boost (to me) in most music is around the ~80-125Hz region where kick drums sound bigger. Listening to a "live" album by Israel & New Breed, the bass player sustains a note on his Low B string and I could actually "feel" the note resonating - in this case it gives a very nice texture to the music. 

After further listening (just a couple of hours), I'd say the bass bump pretty much adds "fun" to the sound of the Quads. It is NOT overwhelming like on the Ultrasone Pro 900s (albeit being on-ear headphones), I couldn't bear listening to even pop songs on the 900s cos the bass & low-mids were overwhelming (before burn-in & partial Kees mod).

I've made other observations on the sound but at this point want to give the brand new IEMs a little more burn in time to see if things change. I will just say that what I hear corresponds very closely to the published frequency response chart and overall leans on the darker side sonically. 

I've emailed Vitaliy of 1964 ears & Ericp10 just to see if what I hear tally with their impressions. I'm sure ericp10 will post here really really soon too :)

As you might notice, my impressions & review come more from a musician/sound engineer perspective than a typical "audiophile's" so hopefully they would be of some help to those still deciding. 

Dec 6, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #341 of 7,417
Quote:
Nicer initial impressions @ jermng. Mine, unfortunately, are caught up in post office/mailroom hell. Our post offices suck. They are here, but the mailroom doesn't seem to think they picked them  up yet, although the post office says notice was given to pick them up. So the mailroom is saying, "we'll look for them at that post office tomorrow." LOL. Of course, this always happens when I'm waiting for something like this. Now, I could go to the mailroom and they'll be sitting waiting for me. Stay tuned....lol

Eric

Eric, you can always swing by the post office yourself and pick them up. In my case, when this happens, the post office doesnt need the slip(although it makes it faster for them because of the refrence number), just the name, adress and ID. You can find the location of your package printed on the slip

Dec 6, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #342 of 7,417

Quote:
Thank you for the impression,
How about the stage, instrumental separation, cohesiveness?

I'll post a more detailed review after I've spent more time with them. :) 

I'm currently burning them in just to see if it changes anything. Initial listening to some familiar music and Head-Fi's very own "Open Your Ears" test CD have given some very "interesting" results .... I've taken some notes and will put them all in a more detailed review. 

I think at this stage it's best to manage expectations - I'm personally comparing them to the ES5s (which are currently the only other customs I have, I used the universal-fit UM2s before that); they not only cost more but have the backing, R&D & experience of Westone in IEMs. I don't think it's a fair comparison at all, which is why I'm really holding back giving anymore detailed impressions until I've given the Quads enough time and extensive listening to give it all they've got. :)

The description on the website is very true though - Bassists and drummers will LOVE these babies for Live use on stage! :)

Dec 6, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #343 of 7,417
Okay, I got them! lol.. But haven't opened the package yet. Will have them in my ears in about 20 minutes.

Dec 6, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #345 of 7,417

Quote:

I'm currently burning them in just to see if it changes anything. Initial listening to some familiar music and Head-Fi's very own "Open Your Ears" test CD have given some very "interesting" results .... I've taken some notes and will put them all in a more detailed review. 

The description on the website is very true though - Bassists and drummers will LOVE these babies for Live use on stage! :)

I've seen a mention of this CD before.  How do you get a copy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back