1964 Ears
Sep 5, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #5,281 of 7,417
sure just drive to california
smily_headphones1.gif

I was actually in the San Francisco Bay Area 2 months ago.... I should have thought about getting ear molds then!

Sep 5, 2014 at 4:54 PM Post #5,282 of 7,417
Just make sure that wherever you go they do a good job. You're willing to spend a lot of money on a CIEM, don't cheap out on the molds as that will determine how good of a seal you'll get (and thus impact the overall SQ).

Sep 6, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #5,283 of 7,417
Hi folks,

I will ask this here as the 353 pages was abit much to wade thought.

My current source is a Clip+ ((rockboxed) and flac files mated with Fiio E11 Killamanjaro 2.    My current IEM's are Shure 215SE.

I'm 54 yrs old and my headphone use is purely portable with no real intent to go home headphone use.  

Music is everything from Alt Country to Female vocals to Joe Bonamassa to Pink Floyd to Jeff Becki to Miles Davis to Faith No More.   So one of everything almost. :)  No HipHop, Rap, Trance or Classical.

I'm from Australia and love the reviews I have been reading on the 1964's and their pricing.    I cannot find any place to listen to the various 1964 models but I'm leaning towards the V3 or V6. based purely on my research.  

I'm not a bass head but I do like a well rounded sound where the bass can be heard clearly.    I like clear vocals.  I hate sibilance (who doesn't I hear you say).

Can anyone provide some thoughts on either the V3 or V6 based on the above information.

Thanks in advance.

Regards Cazzesman

Sep 6, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #5,284 of 7,417
If you haven't heard the demos, you might thing v6 is more "balanced" and v6s more bassy than v6/v3 asked on their website's descriptions. But when I demo them, I actually find v6s sounding a lot better than either v3/v6 with pop/jazz/rock vocal tracks. The singer's voice is imaged much better.

Sep 6, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #5,285 of 7,417
  Hi folks,

I will ask this here as the 353 pages was abit much to wade thought.

My current source is a Clip+ ((rockboxed) and flac files mated with Fiio E11 Killamanjaro 2.    My current IEM's are Shure 215SE.

I'm 54 yrs old and my headphone use is purely portable with no real intent to go home headphone use.  

Music is everything from Alt Country to Female vocals to Joe Bonamassa to Pink Floyd to Jeff Becki to Miles Davis to Faith No More.   So one of everything almost. :)  No HipHop, Rap, Trance or Classical.

I'm from Australia and love the reviews I have been reading on the 1964's and their pricing.    I cannot find any place to listen to the various 1964 models but I'm leaning towards the V3 or V6. based purely on my research.  

I'm not a bass head but I do like a well rounded sound where the bass can be heard clearly.    I like clear vocals.  I hate sibilance (who doesn't I hear you say).

Can anyone provide some thoughts on either the V3 or V6 based on the above information.

Thanks in advance.

Regards Cazzesman

just receive my v6s day ago,just want say,order it ,u will not regret
biggrin.gif

Sep 6, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #5,286 of 7,417
Sep 6, 2014 at 12:39 PM Post #5,287 of 7,417
At the moment my favourite iems are the StageDiver SD2's, which I use mainly with DX90 / X5.
Last week I ordered a (universal fit) V6-Stage. Are the included tips & stock cable any good? If not, any advise on alternative tips or upgrade cable is welcome.

Thanks in advance...

Sep 6, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #5,288 of 7,417
The cable is fine. Things may be different now, but when I received my V6-Stage they only came with one pair of foam tips (that were to small for my ears).

For those who recently received universals from 1964, what tips did they send you?

The tips from Noble fit my V6-Stage well. They include 4 different types, with 3 sizes of each type - so you're bound to find one that works really well for you. Their large silicone tips give a quick and comfortable fit with my ears.

Oh, and the V6-Stage sound really good with them. The soundstage, instrument placement and details are nothing short of excellent.

Sep 6, 2014 at 5:03 PM Post #5,289 of 7,417
The cable is fine. Things may be different now, but when I received my V6-Stage they only came with one pair of foam tips (that were to small for my ears).

For those who recently received universals from 1964, what tips did they send you?

The tips from Noble fit my V6-Stage well. They include 4 different types, with 3 sizes of each type - so you're bound to find one that works really well for you. Their large silicone tips give a quick and comfortable fit with my ears.

Oh, and the V6-Stage sound really good with them. The soundstage, instrument placement and details are nothing short of excellent.

My V8's came with 3 pairs of similar sized black foams - they were promptly dropped in my tip jar - I have used a number of tips - Comply, UE, JVC - JVC Spiral Dots are great - Monster Gels work as well.....

But the included ones are dooky 
tongue.gif

Sep 6, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #5,290 of 7,417
  At the moment my favourite iems are the StageDiver SD2's, which I use mainly with DX90 / X5.
Last week I ordered a (universal fit) V6-Stage. Are the included tips & stock cable any good? If not, any advise on alternative tips or upgrade cable is welcome.

Thanks in advance...

If you get the Clear cable, it oxides to a green colour. 

I have had mine for about 6months or so and I can see signs of this happening.

I did also read online about this happening.

Sep 7, 2014 at 5:10 AM Post #5,291 of 7,417
@ ericr: I'm glad to read the stock cable is fine and that you like them so much. About a month to go before I'll recieve mine...very curious about them.

@ Ivabign: Are your JVC tips the same ones as used on the FX serie?
I've still got a FX650 over here with lot of different tips. Was planning on selling it soon, but now I think I'll wait at least untill the V6-S arrives.

@ eaglex3: Yes, I knew about the oxidation. My SD2 cable looks quite ''hulkish'' too, luckily (as I've understood) it doen't affect the SQ. Ordered the black cable with my V6-S, also because it has black faceplates with (on one side) custom art.

Thanks for all the information shared...
beerchug.gif

Sep 7, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #5,292 of 7,417

@ Ivabign: Are your JVC tips the same ones as used on the FX serie?
I've still got a FX650 over here with lot of different tips. Was planning on selling it soon, but now I think I'll wait at least untill the V6-S arrives.

Thanks for all the information shared...
beerchug.gif

Yes the JVC tips are from my HA-FX850 - The cable is similar to the Westone Epic cable and what JH Audio ships with its CIEMs - it is fine - but you can upgrade and hear a difference.

Sep 9, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #5,294 of 7,417
Can the V8's bass compete with the likes of dynamic driver's bass, eg 1plus2, ASG-2 or even the HA-FX850? BA bass to me tends to sound unnatural, dry and too short decay

IMHO no it doesn't compete with 1p2's bass at all. Neither quality nor quantity. 1p2 simply has one of the best bass rendition of all iems I heard, which include most higher end ones.

With asg2/2.5, they can provide more bass quantity for sure. Quality it would depends on subjective preference of the BA's fast/tight bass vs DD's more organic and viscous type bass. I can appreciate both but asg2 bass is definitely more impactful.

This is based on v8 universal. I might have different opinion once I get to receive my custom version.

Sep 9, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #5,295 of 7,417
It is a different sort of bass response - BA vs DD - it is faster and more precise than the 1p2, but doesn't quite have the texture - but these are characteristics of the type of driver. What I can say is that the V8 has a very natural attack and decay for a BA headphone - I have a number of headphones and the bass coming from the vented center drive BA's that 1964 uses never sounds artificial - I have heard BA bass in my travels that hasn't sounded right - something "off" about the sound - the V8's have managed to avoid some of the BA bass pratfalls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back