1964 Ears
Aug 9, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #5,191 of 7,417
The bass on these is solid - big and with great texture - rivals anything I have.... 

The amp makes a difference though - frees up the drivers. expands the soundstage. I have spent the day with them and everything I've thrown at them today has sounded great - from old 70's stuff to grunge to ska to metal.... It's been a good day, even though I couldn't get out of my office to go to the LA show 
mad.gif

Aug 9, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #5,192 of 7,417
I'm looking into getting a pair of customs for college since i won't be getting as much use out of my hd650s. I'm currently looking at the v3 and qi. As a bass lover, which one should I go  for?

Aug 10, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #5,194 of 7,417
I'm looking into getting a pair of customs for college since i won't be getting as much use out of my hd650s. I'm currently looking at the v3 and qi. As a bass lover, which one should I go  for?

The ue11 is great and bassy, but at $1200, significantly more expensive and is completely blown away by my nt6pro for $1300 which is insignificantly more at that price range. At that price range the nt6 pro is an easy choice.

The v3 and the qi both have very big bass, the qi a little bigger and more intimate plus realistic. More importantly, the qi significantly raised the bar for me with the SQ performance of a full sized TOTL headphone. For an extra $50 it is a steal. However, the qi is a large departure from the 1964ears house sound and may not be for everyone, so please audition first if possible. IMO, the qi has the highest clarity and the largest sound stage of the lineup. The stage was my favorite by a very small margin being a little more musical, but is significantly more $ percentage wise at $700. At $550, I will probably end up with the qi myself. Keep in mind you are safe with everything from the qi up as having TOTL hp SQ. Btw, the v3/6/8 were much darker signatures than the qi and stage if clarity and treble performance matters to you.

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #5,195 of 7,417
I'm looking to get some IEMs for work and home when the wife says my speakers/headphones are too loud.

I love all sorts of music - but no matter what kind of music it is - I love a solid bottom.  I have some Audeze LCD-XCs right now and I love when the bass is powerful, but I often wish it was less neutral sounding.  

So, from the sound of things - I think I'm going to get the Qi model.  The V8's might be a bit too bass heavy and the v6/v3 a bit too neutral for me.

Sound about right?

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #5,196 of 7,417
  I'm looking to get some IEMs for work and home when the wife says my speakers/headphones are too loud.

I love all sorts of music - but no matter what kind of music it is - I love a solid bottom.  I have some Audeze LCD-XCs right now and I love when the bass is powerful, but I often wish it was less neutral sounding.  

So, from the sound of things - I think I'm going to get the Qi model.  The V8's might be a bit too bass heavy and the v6/v3 a bit too neutral for me.

Sound about right?

In regards to Bass, I have both V8s and LCD2.2s. I would say the V8s are slightly heavier than the LCD2s. They are quite overwhelming when you first use it. After a while it becomes second nature and you really begin to appreciate the Bass response compared to others headphones.

Unfortunately cant compare to the XCs as I havent had a chance to listen to it. 

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #5,197 of 7,417

In regards to Bass, I have both V8s and LCD2.2s. I would say the V8s are slightly heavier than the LCD2s. They are quite overwhelming when you first use it. After a while it becomes second nature and you really begin to appreciate the Bass response compared to others headphones.

Unfortunately cant compare to the XCs as I havent had a chance to listen to it. 

What kind of music do you listen to?  I like acoustic music with solid bass.  I don't listen to rap/hip-hop at all.  

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:15 AM Post #5,198 of 7,417
I don't find the V8 too bass heavy - but that could be me...

But I don't find them dark at all - the mids and highs are very present. 

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #5,199 of 7,417
  What kind of music do you listen to?  I like acoustic music with solid bass.  I don't listen to rap/hip-hop at all.  

I am a EDM lover. A bit of jazz and acoustic music. 

I would go for the Qi's as per your preference of genre as the V8s will be overwhelming in some tracks causing vocals to be slightly recessed and the bass would be a lot more forward. 

I use Above and Beyond's acoustic album as reference + some Michael Buble albums

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #5,200 of 7,417
  I don't find the V8 too bass heavy - but that could be me...

But I don't find them dark at all - the mids and highs are very present. 

Definitely Mids and Highs present, but can feel recessed depending on your ears and previous headphone use. 

I haven't had any "Bass heavy" headphones since the V8s and I feel like the initial bass response may shock specific users who haven't heard such a bass. 

After about 2 weeks of use, they became normal to me.

Aug 11, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #5,201 of 7,417
I listen to a lot of rock and roll - from the 60's to the present - some electronic - some acoustic - some acoustic jazz - some electronic jazz - emphasis on instruments - some metal - oh, and punk and new wave (alternative they call it now)
wink_face.gif

Aug 12, 2014 at 1:46 AM Post #5,202 of 7,417
  I am a EDM lover. A bit of jazz and acoustic music. 

I would go for the Qi's as per your preference of genre as the V8s will be overwhelming in some tracks causing vocals to be slightly recessed and the bass would be a lot more forward. 

I use Above and Beyond's acoustic album as reference + some Michael Buble albums

Thanks for turning me on to "Above and Beyond" - especially their acoustic album!  Sounds's great on my LCD-XC's!

Aug 12, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #5,203 of 7,417
  Thanks for turning me on to "Above and Beyond" - especially their acoustic album!  Sounds's great on my LCD-XC's!

No problem.

I used to be a big fan of them but now they have moved to a different direction in terms of Electronic music. 

However their acoustic album is great. 

Aug 12, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #5,204 of 7,417
Just placed an order for the V8 today!

I have been looking to find a warmer ciem to compliment the uerm and jh13 and was choosing between the roxanne, k10, mentor and mh335dw. 1964 ears weren't really on my target list. I wasn't really familiar with the 1964ears lineup and had previously only demo'ed the 1964T and Q and wasn't hugely impressed back then (ended up opting for the JH13).

Amongst my targets I liked the fitear the most but there is some uncertainty with regards to the Studio Reference (SR) mod/upgrade availability to clients outside of Japan and it would suck royally if I spend $2300 on them and wasn't able to perfect it with the SR mod. Mentor is quite airy but not really the type of warm sig I m looking for. Demoed the Roxanne and K10 repeatedly but neither impressed me. I was trying really hard to like them and convince myself I should go ahead with one of the two hot models, but I felt the Roxanne is too dark/dull unless I turn up the volume pass my normal listening level (and it does open up at higher volume). The K10 is a bit of a chameleon and I seems to be hearing sth different each time I revisited the demo and really unsure if I was trying too hard to like them.

This past weekend I stumbled upon the local 1964 Ears dealer and listened to their current lineup. I am a bit surprised that they actually sound very good, and exceptional for the relatively reasonable price. I went back the next day to listen more critically to the v6s and v8. Loved how the V8 bass is done without losing treble clarity nor making the mids recessed. The v6s is also very nice but it sounds a bit closer to my jh13 to own both. The more I listened to the V8 I kept thinking "this is actually the sound I wanted/expected from the Roxanne!" After listening thru my usual test tracts covering wide gamut of genres, I'm totally sold. I guess I would probably have paid roxanne money if they sounded like the v8 LOL. Hope it won't disappoint when I receive it.

My minimalist design:

Really surprised the v8 or 1964ears in general didn't attracts more attention!

Aug 12, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #5,205 of 7,417
Just placed an order for the V8 today!

I have been looking to find a warmer ciem to compliment the uerm and jh13 and was choosing between the roxanne, k10, mentor and mh335dw. 1964 ears weren't really on my target list. I wasn't really familiar with the 1964ears lineup and had previously only demo'ed the 1964T and Q and wasn't hugely impressed back then (ended up opting for the JH13).

Amongst my targets I liked the fitear the most but there is some uncertainty with regards to the Studio Reference (SR) mod/upgrade availability to clients outside of Japan and it would suck royally if I spend $2300 on them and wasn't able to perfect it with the SR mod. Mentor is quite airy but not really the type of warm sig I m looking for. Demoed the Roxanne and K10 repeatedly but neither impressed me. I was trying really hard to like them and convince myself I should go ahead with one of the two hot models, but I felt the Roxanne is too dark/dull unless I turn up the volume pass my normal listening level (and it does open up at higher volume). The K10 is a bit of a chameleon and I seems to be hearing sth different each time I revisited the demo and really unsure if I was trying too hard to like them.

This past weekend I stumbled upon the local 1964 Ears dealer and listened to their current lineup. I am a bit surprised that they actually sound very good, and exceptional for the relatively reasonable price. I went back the next day to listen more critically to the v6s and v8. Loved how the V8 bass is done without losing treble clarity nor making the mids recessed. The v6s is also very nice but it sounds a bit closer to my jh13 to own both. The more I listened to the V8 I kept thinking "this is actually the sound I wanted/expected from the Roxanne!" After listening thru my usual test tracts covering wide gamut of genres, I'm totally sold. I guess I would probably have paid roxanne money if they sounded like the v8 LOL. Hope it won't disappoint when I receive it.

My minimalist design:

Really surprised the v8 or 1964ears in general didn't attracts more attention!

lol glad to see you getting into the 1964 wagon! I had the V6 which really kicks ass for the price, kind of regretted selling it.. i'm considering getting another again, maybe a V6S this time. For the quality, i couldn't really find any other custom manufacturer offering a universal fit (not a universal variant).
Any impression on the V6S vs JH13?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back