1964 Ears
Aug 12, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #5,206 of 7,417
Just placed an order for the V8 today!

I have been looking to find a warmer ciem to compliment the uerm and jh13 and was choosing between the roxanne, k10, mentor and mh335dw. 1964 ears weren't really on my target list. I wasn't really familiar with the 1964ears lineup and had previously only demo'ed the 1964T and Q and wasn't hugely impressed back then (ended up opting for the JH13).

Amongst my targets I liked the fitear the most but there is some uncertainty with regards to the Studio Reference (SR) mod/upgrade availability to clients outside of Japan and it would suck royally if I spend $2300 on them and wasn't able to perfect it with the SR mod. Mentor is quite airy but not really the type of warm sig I m looking for. Demoed the Roxanne and K10 repeatedly but neither impressed me. I was trying really hard to like them and convince myself I should go ahead with one of the two hot models, but I felt the Roxanne is too dark/dull unless I turn up the volume pass my normal listening level (and it does open up at higher volume). The K10 is a bit of a chameleon and I seems to be hearing sth different each time I revisited the demo and really unsure if I was trying too hard to like them.

This past weekend I stumbled upon the local 1964 Ears dealer and listened to their current lineup. I am a bit surprised that they actually sound very good, and exceptional for the relatively reasonable price. I went back the next day to listen more critically to the v6s and v8. Loved how the V8 bass is done without losing treble clarity nor making the mids recessed. The v6s is also very nice but it sounds a bit closer to my jh13 to own both. The more I listened to the V8 I kept thinking "this is actually the sound I wanted/expected from the Roxanne!" After listening thru my usual test tracts covering wide gamut of genres, I'm totally sold. I guess I would probably have paid roxanne money if they sounded like the v8 LOL. Hope it won't disappoint when I receive it.

My minimalist design:

Really surprised the v8 or 1964ears in general didn't attracts more attention!

Looking forward to your impressions of the v8!

By the way, how does the v6 stack up against the UERM?

Aug 12, 2014 at 6:33 PM Post #5,207 of 7,417

I have been looking to find a warmer ciem to compliment the uerm and jh13 and was choosing between the roxanne, k10, mentor and mh335dw. 1964 ears weren't really on my target list. I wasn't really familiar with the 1964ears lineup and had previously only demo'ed the 1964T and Q and wasn't hugely impressed back then (ended up opting for the JH13).

Amongst my targets I liked the fitear the most but there is some uncertainty with regards to the Studio Reference (SR) mod/upgrade availability to clients outside of Japan and it would suck royally if I spend $2300 on them and wasn't able to perfect it with the SR mod. Mentor is quite airy but not really the type of warm sig I m looking for. Demoed the Roxanne and K10 repeatedly but neither impressed me. I was trying really hard to like them and convince myself I should go ahead with one of the two hot models, but I felt the Roxanne is too dark/dull unless I turn up the volume pass my normal listening level (and it does open up at higher volume). The K10 is a bit of a chameleon and I seems to be hearing sth different each time I revisited the demo and really unsure if I was trying too hard to like them.

This past weekend I stumbled upon the local 1964 Ears dealer and listened to their current lineup. I am a bit surprised that they actually sound very good, and exceptional for the relatively reasonable price. I went back the next day to listen more critically to the v6s and v8. Loved how the V8 bass is done without losing treble clarity nor making the mids recessed. The v6s is also very nice but it sounds a bit closer to my jh13 to own both. The more I listened to the V8 I kept thinking "this is actually the sound I wanted/expected from the Roxanne!" After listening thru my usual test tracts covering wide gamut of genres, I'm totally sold. I guess I would probably have paid roxanne money if they sounded like the v8 LOL. Hope it won't disappoint when I receive it.

My minimalist design:

Congratulations - you are going to love them - I believe that one of the V8's downfalls is that it is priced too low - people can't wrap their heads around the fact that this is a TOTL  iem...

AND the workmanship is the equal of any of the other better known labs...

They stand the test of critical listening - I love the statement on the Roxanne - blindfolded and told it was the big dog JH product, you might have spent almost twice as much... Think of the amp you can buy with the money you saved - lol

Cheers!

Aug 12, 2014 at 6:45 PM Post #5,208 of 7,417
  Congratulations - you are going to love them - I believe that one of the V8's downfalls is that it is priced too low - people can't wrap their heads around the fact that this is a TOTL  iem...

AND the workmanship is the equal of any of the other better known labs...

They stand the test of critical listening - I love the statement on the Roxanne - blindfolded and told it was the big dog JH product, you might have spent almost twice as much... Think of the amp you can buy with the money you saved - lol

Cheers!

So true.. 

I am very glad I went with the V8s and sad to say that 1964 Ears doesnt get enough attention as the other products out there...

Loving them more and more I use this as my daily driver.

Aug 12, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #5,209 of 7,417

My minimalist design:

I have little doubt you won't be happy with the V8 sound signature :) 

Ive had it for about 6 months or so and love it more and more I use it. I found the bass response quite overwhelming at the start but I feel this was because I havent really had a bass emphasized pair of headphones before. Now after long usage they have become second nature :)

Let us know your impressions between the JH13s. 

Aug 13, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #5,210 of 7,417
Thanks all for the warm welcome. Looking forward to receiving my V8 so I can share more impressions. I'm just glad they aren't charging Roxanne $$$ and made my purchase much easier.

Re the comparisons v6 vs uerm/v6s vs jh13, based on the v6/v6s demos, I would say v6 is warmer and seem slightly less transparent than uerm, and similarly v6s is also warmer and sounded slightly less transparent than jh13. Jh13 also has more subbass impact (maybe difference is from custom jh13 vs demo v6s) while v6s has more textured mid bass and sweeter/more forward mids. The vocal presentation does make v6s more holographic.

I think which one anyone would choose over the other will largely depend on if will he prefer a warmer sig (v6/v6s) vs a less warm one (uerm/jh13).

I do love the v6s vocal presentation and actually hesitated a bit if I wanted the v8 or the v6s. The bigger bass from v8 sealed the deal for me as this warm bassy sig is what I was looking for. I also think v8 scale better with more complex tracks with lots of different sound going on. I just wonder if there would be a V8S down the road that incorporate the v6s type mids presentation into the V8 sound to give that holographic image I heard from the v6s.

Aug 13, 2014 at 2:34 AM Post #5,212 of 7,417
  already order my v6s for almost 2.5weeks,i check the step of my order,it's only in step 4,is there one week one step right now?

A lot of the activity takes place in the final week or two - I wouldn't worry about the timing as listed on the status bar on their website....

Aug 14, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #5,213 of 7,417
Question for all you EDM guys, I recently picked up the Sony XB90EX from my friend as the bass was too much for him. I however, find them great for EDM running off my ALO International. Does anyone have any experience with the Sony's and if so, which 1964 would they most likely compare to as far as bass presence and quantity, the Qi, V6S, or V8? I would assume the V8 based upon this thread as they seem to be heavier on the low end, but figured I would ask. Thanks again.

Aug 14, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #5,214 of 7,417
  Question for all you EDM guys, I recently picked up the Sony XB90EX from my friend as the bass was too much for him. I however, find them great for EDM running off my ALO International. Does anyone have any experience with the Sony's and if so, which 1964 would they most likely compare to as far as bass presence and quantity, the Qi, V6S, or V8? I would assume the V8 based upon this thread as they seem to be heavier on the low end, but figured I would ask. Thanks again.

Honestly, I would say it all depends on what you have come from and how long you use the headphones for.

When I used the V8s I found the bass response overwhelming at first. This was due to me not ever having a "bass heavy" headphone. I came from brighter sounding headphones and few dark sounding ones and eventually my ears became accustomed to the bass response.

If you are worried if they are too overwhelming, try getting your hands on a universal version or demo it. 

Aug 15, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #5,215 of 7,417
My 1964ears V3 are excellent other then there is a small defect on the left driver. Not the SQ but the shape of the acrylic. It has 2 bores and the larger one the outside of it is not flat.

Here is a good photo of it: 

Aug 16, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #5,216 of 7,417
My 1964ears V3 are excellent other then there is a small defect on the left driver. Not the SQ but the shape of the acrylic. It has 2 bores and the larger one the outside of it is not flat.

If it's causing you problems then you can always contact 1964 ears and have them fix it. If it isn't then maybe it's supposed to be like that.

My case was poorly packaged and it arrived damage because of it, my platinum faceplates were poorly applied, and the fit wasn't too great. But when I got my refit, they remade it and fixed my faceplates and they look much better, and now my fit is close to perfect. The quality isn't up to JH audio, but if it saves me $500 then there's no real reason to complain. In the end, I get to listen to my CIEMs and forget about all those problems :)

Aug 16, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #5,217 of 7,417
If it's causing you problems then you can always contact 1964 ears and have them fix it. If it isn't then maybe it's supposed to be like that.

My case was poorly packaged and it arrived damage because of it, my platinum faceplates were poorly applied, and the fit wasn't too great. But when I got my refit, they remade it and fixed my faceplates and they look much better, and now my fit is close to perfect. The quality isn't up to JH audio, but if it saves me $500 then there's no real reason to complain. In the end, I get to listen to my CIEMs and forget about all those problems
smily_headphones1.gif

There are no problems it is just a small defect and small aesthetic isue, but it just goes in my ears any ways.

Aug 23, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #5,218 of 7,417
-

Aug 27, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #5,219 of 7,417
Had to send my V3's back to Portland to have them cleaned out - no matter how much you think you clean your ears enough, you don't - and got them back the other day.  Goodness me, that's a good-sounding earphone.  You really don't know what you've got until it's gone.  But now it's not gone anymore. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 27, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #5,220 of 7,417
  Had to send my V3's back to Portland to have them cleaned out - no matter how much you think you clean your ears enough, you don't - and got them back the other day.  Goodness me, that's a good-sounding earphone.  You really don't know what you've got until it's gone.  But now it's not gone anymore. 
biggrin.gif

What was the charge on that? Mine are the universals and I have yet to see anything collect on the nozzle - but still I wonder....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back