1964 Ears
Aug 28, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #5,221 of 7,417
  My review (first review) is up for the 1964 Ears V8

http://www.head-fi.org/products/1964-ears-v8-eight-driver-custom-iem/reviews/11131

Great review!
Never knew that 1946 Ears offer them in universal versions until now!
How did you buy them in universal edition? By choosing the "Use impressions on file" in IEM Designer?

Aug 28, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #5,223 of 7,417
Contact them directly.

You shoot them an email and they give you a code for $25 off the pricing....

You design them like any other custom IEM - colors - faceplates, etc.....

Aug 28, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #5,224 of 7,417
  Great review!
Never knew that 1946 Ears offer them in universal versions until now!
How did you buy them in universal edition? By choosing the "Use impressions on file" in IEM Designer?

Thanks!

They are an awesome set of cans... 2 year warranty is great too.

Aug 28, 2014 at 7:44 PM Post #5,225 of 7,417
Has anybody here compared the V6, V6-stage and V8 head to head? I'm interested in taking my first step into the CIEM world, having come from a Shure SE530. These are the three models I'm looking at (I of course want to pick only one).

Also, just a more general question, is it generally considered okay to be wearing CIEMs while working out in the gym or running? Or is that a big no no? And by that I mean in terms of potentially damaging them due to excessive sweating, or them becoming uncomfortable from all the movement.

Thanks!

Aug 28, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #5,226 of 7,417
  Has anybody here compared the V6, V6-stage and V8 head to head? I'm interested in taking my first step into the CIEM world, having come from a Shure SE530. These are the three models I'm looking at (I of course want to pick only one).

Also, just a more general question, is it generally considered okay to be wearing CIEMs while working out in the gym or running? Or is that a big no no? And by that I mean in terms of potentially damaging them due to excessive sweating, or them becoming uncomfortable from all the movement.

Thanks!

I haven't compared the V8s to the V6 / V6s however know that the V8s have more emphasis / better sounding bass response. But I would like to know myself as the V8s shine in some genres were personally don't like it for others.

With regards to using the CIEMs while running / gyming. I have done so myself for a couple of months and had no issue. The only time you get an issue is if you take them out of your ears constantly as moisture can get into the bores / drivers. I myself when I gym keep them inside my ears for the while time.

Aug 28, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #5,227 of 7,417

Thanks!

I just had the whole demo set to host at the Seattle Head-Fi meet. However, I have not heard the SE530 to compare. But I can answer general questions for you. 

I use my NT6pros in the gym now and to run, but was afraid to in the beginning. However, originally designed to be used on stage by performing artists, my guess is that they will hold up even if it limits their life a little. I do often clean the holes after a run and wipe them down to keep them looking pretty.

Aug 28, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #5,228 of 7,417
I might order demo models for these IEMs to test them out so I can make more of an informed decision, instead of just blindly ordering one and then regretting it later.

Edit: to add more about what I'm looking for in terms of sound signature, the SE530 is very mid-centric with rolled off treble and a mild bass signature (not flat, but definitely not emphasized either). I've gotten tired of that sound signature and am looking for a flatter sound signature, as that's overall more versatile since I listen to many different genres of music. A big chunk of the music I listen to though consists of electronic music, which generally has a lot of bass lines in it. So while I'm looking for a flatter sound signature, I definitely want there to be plenty of bass when the music calls for it. From what I've read on the V8 so far it sounds like that might actually be too much bass, perhaps great for electronic music, but not so good for listening to say acoustic or jazz. I'm getting the impression that the V6-Stage might be what I'm looking for, but of course I'm not sure yet. The V6 itself might be too flat, with not enough bass for my liking.

What are your thoughts?

Aug 29, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #5,229 of 7,417
Aug 29, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #5,230 of 7,417
  I might order demo models for these IEMs to test them out so I can make more of an informed decision, instead of just blindly ordering one and then regretting it later.

Edit: to add more about what I'm looking for in terms of sound signature, the SE530 is very mid-centric with rolled off treble and a mild bass signature (not flat, but definitely not emphasized either). I've gotten tired of that sound signature and am looking for a flatter sound signature, as that's overall more versatile since I listen to many different genres of music. A big chunk of the music I listen to though consists of electronic music, which generally has a lot of bass lines in it. So while I'm looking for a flatter sound signature, I definitely want there to be plenty of bass when the music calls for it. From what I've read on the V8 so far it sounds like that might actually be too much bass, perhaps great for electronic music, but not so good for listening to say acoustic or jazz. I'm getting the impression that the V6-Stage might be what I'm looking for, but of course I'm not sure yet. The V6 itself might be too flat, with not enough bass for my liking.

What are your thoughts?

While I didn't have a perfect seal which affects my impressions of the lineup, so please take my opinions with a grain of salt and please audition if possible. However, I felt like the stage was the best in the 1964ears lineup without a doubt. The v8 sounded great, but at times did have too much of a good thing for my tastes where it felt like the stage bass was more defined and resolute. I should point out though that none of the lineup were lacking for bass so that base is covered regardless of choice. I was less impressed with the v6 which was a little dark for my tastes. Mids and vocals are important to me which I felt that the stage excelled. It also felt the stage was the most transparent of the three and the most versatile in terms of genres. The stage did have more treble presence and sparkle than the other two which some people love and some people hate so that might be a good line in the sand to go one way or the other. The v8 had good treble presence as well but felt a little more smoothed over or rolled off - couldn't tell. So if treble is bothersome for you, go v8, if too much bass is more bothersome for you, go stage. I don't think you could go wrong with either and I wish that I had both.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Aug 29, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #5,231 of 7,417
  While I didn't have a perfect seal which affects my impressions of the lineup, so please take my opinions with a grain of salt and please audition if possible. However, I felt like the stage was the best in the 1964ears lineup without a doubt. The v8 sounded great, but at times did have too much of a good thing for my tastes where it felt like the stage bass was more defined and resolute. I should point out though that none of the lineup were lacking for bass so that base is covered regardless of choice. I was less impressed with the v6 which was a little dark for my tastes. Mids and vocals are important to me which I felt that the stage excelled. It also felt the stage was the most transparent of the three and the most versatile in terms of genres. The stage did have more treble presence and sparkle than the other two which some people love and some people hate so that might be a good line in the sand to go one way or the other. The v8 had good treble presence as well but felt a little more smoothed over or rolled off - couldn't tell. So if treble is bothersome for you, go v8, if too much bass is more bothersome for you, go stage. I don't think you could go wrong with either and I wish that I had both.

I asked 1964ears about what they recommend given the sound signature I'm looking for and they recommended either the V3 or V6-Stage.

Aug 29, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #5,232 of 7,417

I asked 1964ears about what they recommend given the sound signature I'm looking for and they recommended either the V3 or V6-Stage.

I know that a lot of people really dig the v3, but I can tell you that my feelings on the v2 and v3 were that they were closer to my TF10s or Coppers in terms of performance. The Quads and higher were a significant step up all sounding like TOTL CIEMs to me with a much bigger full sized presentation. In terms of cans, it would be like comparing the Sennheiser Momentums to the HD800 or the Audeze lineup, they are just in a different class. For an extra $50, I would definitely step up to the Quads over the V3 as a big upgrade. But the Quads really need to be listened to first as they are the most different of the lineup with the typical great bass, but a very big sound stage and very high clarity due to a little bit elevated treble. It is definitely not as smooth as the stage if you are willing to spend the extra. I am actually considering buying a quad to have a backup CIEM for the gym and different characteristics from my NT6pro.

Aug 29, 2014 at 9:03 PM Post #5,233 of 7,417
V3, a bit bloated on the bass possibly from it being over driven.  Better treble clarity than TF10 which loses out in clairty like the UE900 when I compared it to the UERM.  When you go to more TOTL minimal colored CIEM, there will be more clarity on the treble and details will be more apparent. Also the imaging is apparent even though these are still iems.  For some reason, CIEMs have some sort of imaging to the sound that I don't find with universal iems.  I find the V3 on the same line as universals when it comes to imaging.  

Only universal I found imaging is SE846.  The TG334 sounded flat like other universals.  So, sometimes an iems is able provide some depth to the sound.  Don't ask me how, but it's there.  If anybody know how that is let me know as I'm curious.  I'm not sure if this imaging is caused by frequency ranges being out of phase, but it adds depth to the sound.

Aug 30, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #5,234 of 7,417
I listen to acoustic music (Americana), but am always wishing the bass was elevated.  I'm considering the V8's.  I'm actually going to sell my LCD-XCs and get a Hi-FiMan 400i and a pair of CIEM's for fit (universals always bother me to some degree).  Most of the music i listen to has vocals.  I'm just scared that I'll get the V8's and realize WHOA too much!  And then be down 900 bucks.  That being said, I've never had a problem with headphones being too bassy.  I loved the HE-400s but felt that the Bass was covering up the treble and mids (no separation). So what I'm looking for is a lot of bass that doesn't interfere with the stuff above it.  Any advice?

Aug 30, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #5,235 of 7,417
  I listen to acoustic music (Americana), but am always wishing the bass was elevated.  I'm considering the V8's.  I'm actually going to sell my LCD-XCs and get a Hi-FiMan 400i and a pair of CIEM's for fit (universals always bother me to some degree).  Most of the music i listen to has vocals.  I'm just scared that I'll get the V8's and realize WHOA too much!  And then be down 900 bucks.  That being said, I've never had a problem with headphones being too bassy.  I loved the HE-400s but felt that the Bass was covering up the treble and mids (no separation). So what I'm looking for is a lot of bass that doesn't interfere with the stuff above it.  Any advice?

1964 V6-S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back