1964 Ears
Nov 5, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #5,717 of 7,417
I paid on Columbus Day - and got the impressions mailed immediately.

Just got this message from Rachel (She's the best - extremely cordial and attentive - a great ambassador for their company)

"Hi Reggie, Your IEMs won’t be ready to ship today but I can get them out tomorrow. The extra charge for overnight shipping depends on the method (below). If you’d like to upgrade let me know which method you’d like and I’ll send an updated invoice.

Standard Overnight (by 3pm in most areas): Additional $14
Priority Overnight (by 10:30am in most areas): Additional $17

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thank you!"

So for an extra $17, I can have them Friday morning, otherwise Monday afternoon....

What would Elvis do? What would a Head-Fi member do?

lol

Nov 5, 2014 at 4:18 PM Post #5,718 of 7,417

Just got this message from Rachel (She's the best - extremely cordial and attentive - a great ambassador for their company)

"Hi Reggie, Your IEMs won’t be ready to ship today but I can get them out tomorrow. The extra charge for overnight shipping depends on the method (below). If you’d like to upgrade let me know which method you’d like and I’ll send an updated invoice.

So for an extra $17, I can have them Friday morning, otherwise Monday afternoon....

lol

Friday! Friday! Friday!

Nov 5, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #5,720 of 7,417

lol

I would save the money so you can put it towards an A10 or A12 
biggrin.gif

Nov 5, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #5,722 of 7,417
Nov 5, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #5,723 of 7,417
Oh and just my impression on the V6S demo (which I returned monday), I think they have a balanced sound to which the keyword would be smooth. Fairly detailed without being in your face. The bass is nicely full-bodied and overall neutral. Not as fast for my taste and found it slightly lacking with certain genres such as electronic music, missing that last bit of speed and impact (prat). But these are minor things I'm talking about, maybe 1% - 5% differences, nothing major. With every other genre it sounded great. Soundstage is good, pretty wide with good imaging and instrument separation, yet still coherent.

I've decided to not go for the V6S though, and will instead go for the JH13 (which overall sounded better to me) or depending on all the info that should be released tomorrow, an A10 or A12.

Nov 5, 2014 at 6:59 PM Post #5,724 of 7,417
I've decided to not go for the V6S though, and will instead go for the JH13 (which overall sounded better to me) or depending on all the info that should be released tomorrow, an A10 or A12.

If you can't decide, just get both! - The Head-fi mantra. :D

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #5,725 of 7,417
Well, now I'm not so sure at all about whether I want to get the A10 or A12 (besides the fact that they do have 10 or 12 drivers). Just got another e-mail from 1964ears:

Initially ADEL was going to work when closed but with the final design you’ll need to open the port to allow the ADEL technology to work. It won’t be as drastic as our current ambient port where opening it any amount causes significant bass loss that can’t be recovered. You can open the ADEL port a tiny amount to allow it to work and the bass will drop by a bit but you can boost it back by adjust the EQ on your player. You can close the ADEL port and you’ll have the standard full isolation which is around -26dB.

Will still wait for the kickstarter page tomorrow to make up my mind.

Nov 5, 2014 at 8:32 PM Post #5,726 of 7,417
Well, now I'm not so sure at all about whether I want to get the A10 or A12 (besides the fact that they do have 10 or 12 drivers). Just got another e-mail from 1964ears:

[COLOR=1F497D]Initially ADEL was going to work when closed but with the final design you’ll need to open the port to allow the ADEL technology to work. It won’t be as drastic as our current ambient port where opening it any amount causes significant bass loss that can’t be recovered. You can open the ADEL port a tiny amount to allow it to work and the bass will drop by a bit but you can boost it back by adjust the EQ on your player. You can close the ADEL port and you’ll have the standard full isolation which is around -26dB.[/COLOR]

Will still wait for the kickstarter page tomorrow to make up my mind.

You can't beat the Law of Physics.

Nov 5, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #5,727 of 7,417
Nov 5, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #5,728 of 7,417

Seems entirely logical that in the closed position, it will actually be closed. 

:) I'm actually a bit disappointed. Was hoping the ADEL technology would always work, regardless of whether the port is opened or closed. A lot of initial marketing hype, but when you start asking more questions the tech becomes a lot more nuanced. At this point it seems like just a fancy ambient port, more of a gimmick than anything else. Don't really see the added value yet. They better sound really really really good to justify the very steep price tag (not including the early-bird discount). They're currently the most expensive IEMs on the market (except perhaps the Noble Prestige, but that's just a K10 with fancy artwork).

Nov 5, 2014 at 10:43 PM Post #5,729 of 7,417

:) I'm actually a bit disappointed. Was hoping the ADEL technology would always work, regardless of whether the port is opened or closed. A lot of initial marketing hype, but when you start asking more questions the tech becomes a lot more nuanced. At this point it seems like just a fancy ambient port, more of a gimmick than anything else. Don't really see the added value yet. They better sound really really really good to justify the very steep price tag (not including the early-bird discount). They're currently the most expensive IEMs on the market (except perhaps the Noble Prestige, but that's just a K10 with fancy artwork).

I'm not understanding your dilemma - if the technology is based on managing the port with a membrane or whatever it ends up being (elf skin) - the option of closing it off completely seems prudent - there will always be a slice of customers who will want to be able to compare. It is like having a button to disengage the Traction Control on the dashboard of your car - you can turn it off if you want. There are people that will want to fly without a net and get full isolation - they have that option - and that is all there is - an option. Variety is usually good. You can alway move the dial a quarter turn if you want. I fail to see how the option of disengaging the ADEL process makes it seem like a gimmick.

Maybe because I'd raise holy hell if I couldn't turn off my Traction Control.

Nov 5, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #5,730 of 7,417
Maybe his main point was that 1964 Ears with the introduction of ADEL no longer represents great value from what they used to be known for and is merely using ADEL tech as a means of charging skyrocket prices the same as other well-established companies. Hopefully that's not the case and is more revolutionary for the steep price hike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back