1964 Ears
May 10, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #2,328 of 7,417
Even at 200$ for the executive package (removable cable) that is dirt cheap. I don't see "sustainable" prices that are going to yield a margin that will allow them to survive off of this product. I'm guessing Custom IEMs is not this companies core market or they sub-contracted the labor/build out to a lab...

Like the days of "Alien Ear" etc

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com
May 12, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #2,329 of 7,417
Spent a good chunk of the day going through this thread and anything else "1964-Q"-related at HF.. I've decided it's time to stop *****footing around with midrange universals and take a true leap up in sound and fit by going with a custom.

I'm after a balanced, highly detailed sound that pairs well with instrumental/hip hop, jazz/funk/soul/blues, downtempo, atmospheric DnB, electronica.  I don't want a recessed midrange, a mid-bass hump, an excessively warm sounding phone, an overtly v-shaped sound, an excessively laid back sound.

I get the impression the Q fits what I'm after.. my main apprehension lies with the treble: It's obviously detailed and extended, but just how laid back/smooth is it? The crux of my decision on whether to go for the Q is if the treble possesses enough energy, crispness, and presence for my appetite.

For some reference, I consider the GR07 & DBA my two favorite IEMs.. I love the energy, general crispness, and slightly forward nature of the DBA.. I love the GR07's timbre, bass/midrange texturing, and general control across the spectrum.  I think the GR07's treble does an admirable job supplementing the bass & midrange.

Does how the Q presents treble fall somewhere between the DBA & 07.. or am I way off?  Just how laid back is the overall sound of the Q in comparison to these phones (or other phones in my sig)?  Being a happy GR07 & DBA owner.. does moving up to the Q seem like a logical path and will the treble quality and presentation satisfy me?

My budget is at $500-600 total (phones & audiologist impressions included), so it squarely falls in the 1964-Q range.  The Q is my front runner but are there any other customs in my price range I should be considering?  The JH5pro is intriguing but it seems like the Q is a better VFM since it can, on more than a few levels, compete with the JH16 (a significant step up from the JH5pro).  I'd consider top tier universals (FX700, EX1000, SA7, etc.) but unless I hear they clearly top the Q when it comes to the sound and presentation I'm looking for (which I haven't), I'd like to stick with a custom.

Thanks everyone..

May 12, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #2,330 of 7,417

Quote:
Spent a good chunk of the day going through this thread and anything else "1964-Q"-related at HF.. I've decided it's time to stop *****footing around with midrange universals and take a true leap up in sound and fit by going with a custom.

I'm after a balanced, highly detailed sound that pairs well with instrumental/hip hop, jazz/funk/soul/blues, downtempo, atmospheric DnB, electronica.  I don't want a recessed midrange, a mid-bass hump, an excessively warm sounding phone, an overtly v-shaped sound, an excessively laid back sound.

I get the impression the Q fits what I'm after.. my main apprehension lies with the treble: It's obviously detailed and extended, but just how laid back/smooth is it? The crux of my decision on whether to go for the Q is if the treble possesses enough energy, crispness, and presence for my appetite.

For some reference, I consider the GR07 & DBA my two favorite IEMs.. I love the energy, general crispness, and slightly forward nature of the DBA.. I love the GR07's timbre, bass/midrange texturing, and general control across the spectrum.  I think the GR07's treble does an admirable job supplementing the bass & midrange.

Does how the Q presents treble fall somewhere between the DBA & 07.. or am I way off?  Just how laid back is the overall sound of the Q in comparison to these phones (or other phones in my sig)?  Being a happy GR07 & DBA owner.. does moving up to the Q seem like a logical path and will the treble quality and presentation satisfy me?

My budget is at $500-600 total (phones & audiologist impressions included), so it squarely falls in the 1964-Q range.  The Q is my front runner but are there any other customs in my price range I should be considering?  The JH5pro is intriguing but it seems like the Q is a better VFM since it can, on more than a few levels, compete with the JH16 (a significant step up from the JH5pro).  I'd consider top tier universals (FX700, EX1000, SA7, etc.) but unless I hear they clearly top the Q when it comes to the sound and presentation I'm looking for (which I haven't), I'd like to stick with a custom.

Thanks everyone..

treble presentation wise, the quads are far from the DBA-02, at the cost of a better/fuller bass, the treble seems a lot more muted compared to the DBA-02

May 12, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #2,332 of 7,417

$1000? Out of my price range.. but they do look & appear to sound beautiful.

I didn't mention it earlier but I'd like something DAP friendly.. Anaxilus, how do you characterize the overall presentation of the Q vs. your DBA ?  Also, did you get your DBA reshelled?

May 12, 2011 at 5:24 PM Post #2,333 of 7,417

Quote:
$1000? Out of my price range.. but they do look & appear to sound beautiful.

I didn't mention it earlier but I'd like something DAP friendly.. Anaxilus, how do you characterize the overall presentation of the Q vs. your DBA ?  Also, did you get your DBA reshelled?

Don't have the Quad and the DBA was sold after I go the IERM.  I do have a B2 on preorder though.  Honestly by the sound of your preferences and from people I've talked to the JH5 might what you are looking for too.  The descriptions of the 1964's sound like they might be a bit relaxed for you if you like the energy of the DBA's.

May 12, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #2,334 of 7,417
If you want the same type of treble energy I'm not really sure about the 1964 Ears. The 1964-T although I haven't listened to them in a month or so (and well I did send them back for a minor refit since one side was a bit too long and causing me pain at times) they don't have the treble energy of the DBA-02. Actually from descriptions and frequency charts of the quad as well it does not look like it will offer the treble energy you want. However the quality of the treble is better on the 1964-T than the DBA-02 imo.

For a reasonably priced custom similar to the DBA-02 I'm not sure what one would go for. At those prices we have customs such as the JH5, Westone AC2, UE4pro as other alternatives. There's lots of info on the JH5 but not so much the UE4pro and even less on the AC2 since it is very new and only one known reviews out there.

May 12, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #2,335 of 7,417
Interesting.. thanks Anaxilus & rawrster.. the fact rawrster mentions the quality of the treble is better intrigues me further.

I guess a more appropriate question would be.. let's throw out desired sound signatures and look at the Q for what it is:

How does the Quad fair with the music I listen to?  Instrumental hip hop, jazz-blues-funk, dub-reggae, ambient DnB, electronica.. much of the music I listen to is layered, has organic, traditional instruments mixed in with electronics (loops, synths, programmed drum breaks, etc.) so I like timbre to be accurate and clarity to pick out layers and good imaging.

And perhaps a more laid back sound is the better bet for this kind of stuff?  Do owners find the Q involving and engaging enough for these genres?  What are the Q's shortcomings with these kinds of music?

The JH5pro looks intriguing but I'm looking for a custom I can hang onto for a while.. and for some reason, I feel the JH5pro, despite possibly suiting my musical taste, would leave me wanting to move up the chain all too soon.. again, it's all about meeting needs so I'll take a hard look at the J5 again.. but more impression on the Q would be appreciated.

Damn this place.. just a year ago, I discovered HF, and considered buying a $50 phone a "big time" move.. lol.. here I am today, all scheduled to have ear impressions done tomorrow..which will cost me 40 bucks.. LOL.. this place needs a treatment & rehab forum.. hahaha.

May 12, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #2,336 of 7,417
I do personally find the treble better on the 1964-T better. I do find the DBA-02 to have more of an aggressive treble (although in the grand scheme of things they are not as aggressive as some other phones I have heard) and the 1964-T a bit more laid back but I find the 1964-T to scale better offering better detail so better treble quality. There's also better balance than the DBA-02 imo.

I cannot answer any question on the 1964-Q for the reason I have not heard it so I'll let someone else comment. However I do believe all of the customs are designed for stage use unless I'm mistaken. If that is the case not having an aggressive treble would make sense if that is the intended purpose.

On another note I got an email stating that a tracking number has been created for my 1964-T so I should get them back on Saturday or Monday depending when it was shipped so that was some real fast work. The work on it however isn't as much as creating a custom from scratch since it just needed a bit of shortening. Hopefully it fits perfectly now without any pain. I look forward to getting them back.

May 12, 2011 at 9:10 PM Post #2,337 of 7,417
Sent impressions in today for the T.  $45 for an impression with a local audiologist who gets me in the same day I call.  $350 for the Ts plus shipping coming to $22.15 both ways equals a total of $417.15 for three way customs that may be arguably as good as anything else on the market.  I am glad I chose this package over a Westone 4 discounted to $381.

May 12, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #2,338 of 7,417
I have the Quad, had the DBA-02, so from memory:

The Quads are a bit more laid back in the treble, but to me the detail is all there, just not forward.  The DBA-02's are a bit more forward in the treble.  The DBA-02's are a bit more forward in general, to me that is their one major flaw, with weakish bass being the second.  Note that I like the DBA-02 a lot, so I'm not knocking them - about the best sounding sub $200 one can find.  The quad is the better, and to me more accurate iem of the two.  I suspect others may argue the accurate part, as the bass is boosted just a bit, though I think it makes them a bit more accurate to me.

May 12, 2011 at 10:21 PM Post #2,339 of 7,417

Quote:
Sent impressions in today for the T.  $45 for an impression with a local audiologist who gets me in the same day I call.  $350 for the Ts plus shipping coming to $22.15 both ways equals a total of $417.15 for three way customs that may be arguably as good as anything else on the market.  I am glad I choose this package over a Westone 4 discounted to $381.

I think you made a good choice if something close to neutral is what you want. I had the W4 until a few weeks ago and the 1964-T has been there for a while. To my ears the W4 while being a great universal falls a bit short to the 1964-T. The price you paid is not too bad for a custom that sounds better than any universal I have heard although I have not heard them all but it's safe to say that the W4 is right up there with the best universals.

May 12, 2011 at 10:59 PM Post #2,340 of 7,417

Quote:
I think you made a good choice if something close to neutral is what you want. I had the W4 until a few weeks ago and the 1964-T has been there for a while. To my ears the W4 while being a great universal falls a bit short to the 1964-T. The price you paid is not too bad for a custom that sounds better than any universal I have heard although I have not heard them all but it's safe to say that the W4 is right up there with the best universals.

Thanks rawrster, neutral was my intention.  Also having dealt with deep fitting the Ety 4s I thought customs would be fun to try for a different feel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back