1964 Ears
May 8, 2011 at 4:31 AM Post #2,311 of 7,417

Quote:
It says on their facebook page that they are looking into it for future development. Not sure if they are gonna actually implement titanium plating.

On another note, I wonder if you could ship your 1964 IEMs to JHAudio and see if they'd do the titanium artwork. Probably a long shot since JH probably wont work with anything other than their own products. Kinda follows that whole "no outside drinks" kinda policy.

Why ask JH if UM can do it for you, and as you know their handcraft in top notch

May 8, 2011 at 6:36 AM Post #2,314 of 7,417

Quote:
We can, but we'd have to build your IEM from scratch!

Wow that's pretty fast. Why is a reshell necessary instead of just applying the custom art onto the already existing shell or removing the faceplate and installing a new one at the very most?

May 8, 2011 at 7:10 AM Post #2,315 of 7,417
A few things, 

• We didn't build the IEM.  It is not ours, we are unsure of the construction method and materials.  It's like asking BMW to add their custom M style body kit on your new Merc.
  • Liability, who would be liable should the IEM fail in any way in the near future?  You would instantly void your warranty with 1964 and we would most definitely not honor any build warranty unless we rebuilt the IEM from the ground up.
  • Customs are not simple beasts.  We construct all of ours from the ground up.  Not just the physical IEM, but the location and installation of the internal hardware.  This is the way customs should be made.
  • Our titanium faceplates are embedded in the faceplate.  It would be nigh on impossible for us to simply add in the titanium insert on an already built custom at the end of the construction process

Hope this answers a few questions!

May 8, 2011 at 7:11 AM Post #2,316 of 7,417
I've asked them before. They can do a titanium FACEPLATE for you, but at the moment they don't have titanium ENGRAVING artwork offered. I think that's what he means and hopes it clears up a few misconceptions.

Quote:
Wow that's pretty fast. Why is a reshell necessary instead of just applying the custom art onto the already existing shell or removing the faceplate and installing a new one at the very most?

May 8, 2011 at 8:46 AM Post #2,317 of 7,417

Quote:
A few things, 

• We didn't build the IEM.  It is not ours, we are unsure of the construction method and materials.  It's like asking BMW to add their custom M style body kit on your new Merc.
  • Liability, who would be liable should the IEM fail in any way in the near future?  You would instantly void your warranty with 1964 and we would most definitely not honor any build warranty unless we rebuilt the IEM from the ground up.
  • Customs are not simple beasts.  We construct all of ours from the ground up.  Not just the physical IEM, but the location and installation of the internal hardware.  This is the way customs should be made.
  • Our titanium faceplates are embedded in the faceplate.  It would be nigh on impossible for us to simply add in the titanium insert on an already built custom at the end of the construction process

Hope this answers a few questions!

Alright, thank you very much for the clarification. Appreciate the prompt replies, its not often we see such active participation by large MoTs here :)

May 8, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #2,318 of 7,417
All these UniqueMelody quotes and offerings should not be on the 1964 Ears Appreciation Thread. You need to take that discussion to the proper thread fellas. 

May 8, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #2,319 of 7,417

Quote:
All these UniqueMelody quotes and offerings should not be on the 1964 Ears Appreciation Thread. You need to take that discussion to the proper thread fellas. 

They are not advertising, they are answering a query we have brought up pertaining to the modification of our customs purchased from 1964, as of now I don't think the thread has been derailed in any way? Though a reminder to stay on-topic is always good.

May 8, 2011 at 1:50 PM Post #2,320 of 7,417
Oh, I see @ Nightslayer. Thanks for the clarification. 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
They are not advertising, they are answering a query we have brought up pertaining to the modification of our customs purchased from 1964, as of now I don't think the thread has been derailed in any way? Though a reminder to stay on-topic is always good.

May 9, 2011 at 8:14 PM Post #2,321 of 7,417
This was recently posted on their facebook page:

"UPDATE: The carbon fiber option is being split. Authentic carbon fiber is being priced at $100. We have tried multiple methods in order to find a cost-effective solution but it remains a complicated and time consuming process. We will offer imitation carbon fiber for $50. Customers who have already ordered the carbon fiber will receive the authentic carbon fiber."

I sent my impressions in on Friday with an arrival date of this Tuesday so I had to call to clarify on whether or not my pair would qualify for the $50 pricing. Fortunately, 1964 has agreed to honor the original pricing despite my order not "officially" being put in till tomorrow; so I'm very happy about that. The extra $50 would have pushed my customs (with options) closer into the territory of the UM Merlins which would be a serious contender for the price range.

May 9, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #2,322 of 7,417

Quote:

"UPDATE: The carbon fiber option is being split. Authentic carbon fiber is being priced at $100. We have tried multiple methods in order to find a cost-effective solution but it remains a complicated and time consuming process. We will offer imitation carbon fiber for $50. Customers who have already ordered the carbon fiber will receive the authentic carbon fiber."

I sent my impressions in on Friday with an arrival date of this Tuesday so I had to call to clarify on whether or not my pair would qualify for the $50 pricing. Fortunately, 1964 has agreed to honor the original pricing despite my order not "officially" being put in till tomorrow; so I'm very happy about that. The extra $50 would have pushed my customs (with options) closer into the territory of the UM Merlins which would be a serious contender for the price range.

I really wonder if mine will be authentic... since I just paid for it today; 3 hours after they updated the Facebook status. Hopefully it'll be authentic.

May 9, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #2,323 of 7,417
With all my customizations + the $70 on canadian tax, my 1964Q totalled up to a $695. I am currently very unhappy that they put imitation carbon fibre without telling me anything at all given that my order was totally in and complete by march 16. This is including they charged $50 on my recessed sockets as well. Still haven't called them yet because I'm still trying to figure out my fit issue on the right side and then make the call only 1 time.

Quote:

May 10, 2011 at 12:45 AM Post #2,324 of 7,417

Quote:
with customs as low as $140, if a person can find a audiologist to do a impression for cheap or by themselves, it's hard not to recommend the custom route over universals, unless a person finds it hard to stick with one sound signature for a good length of time or location dictates the need for a one time shipment.

This I'm not sure about.  I don't think custom fit guarantees greatness over a universal.  I think the greatness of a custom is in having the space for the hardware and the attention to detail with build and tuning.  Obviously having custom fit and perfect seal are ideal but can't overcome other deficiencies.  I could see myself preferring the DBA or other universals over some lower end customs.  Even some higher end ones perhaps.  I think people need to focus less on what a particular phone might have to offer over another and instead focus on coming to grips w/ what 'their' sound is.  

May 10, 2011 at 3:12 AM Post #2,325 of 7,417

Quote:
This I'm not sure about.  I don't think custom fit guarantees greatness over a universal.  I think the greatness of a custom is in having the space for the hardware and the attention to detail with build and tuning.  Obviously having custom fit and perfect seal are ideal but can't overcome other deficiencies.  I could see myself preferring the DBA or other universals over some lower end customs.  Even some higher end ones perhaps.  I think people need to focus less on what a particular phone might have to offer over another and instead focus on coming to grips w/ what 'their' sound is.  

To shed some more perspective on this....   How long does it take to build a custom?  I ask, because at 140$ are you paying for product, materials or just LABOR.   If it takes 1 day to build a custom IEM, theoritically 140$ would be spent on labor costs (insurance, taxes etc).  Then take example, 140 on a non-custom, how much money is devoted to material, packaging, middle man costs, etc....

For me, it is difficult to say which would yield a better value and technology for 140$, a custom or a non-custom product.  It is just a guess, but I think for 140$ you would get about the same in sound quality, but when you start spending the BIG $, that is when I think custom would win hands down.

Noble Audio Stay updated on Noble Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/NobleAudio https://www.twitter.com/noblebywizard https://www.instagram.com/nobleaudio https://nobleaudio.com/en/ contact@nobleaudio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back