19 custom IEM/TF10/Shure/IE8 cables reviewed (Effect Pearl, Apollo, & Odin added 3/20/13)
Sep 6, 2012 at 8:58 PM Post #466 of 687
memory wire or the cable is molded is what i think you're talking about. Otherwise, it's just got nothing
Quote:
Help me here, what you guy call the stiffer end of the cable section where it meet the socket ?

I just bought the Fiio UETfi10 replacement cable and it's not stiff enough to bend around my ear, the cable is so flexible it doesn't shape. :frowning2:

Sep 6, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #467 of 687
Quote:
memory wire or the cable is molded is what i think you're talking about. Otherwise, it's just got nothing

Thanks, probably the molded rubber/cable ? 
Do you guys know anywhere I can buy this ? my Fiio cable doesn't come with this mold. :frowning2:

Sep 6, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #468 of 687
It's not something usually added on afterwards. Lunashops should have some that comes with its pins, might even have it separate. Main thing is you can take heat shrink (available at stores like radioshack) and heat it in a mold to form it to the shape around your ear.
Quote:

Do you guys know anywhere I can buy this ? my Fiio cable doesn't come with this mold. :frowning2:

Sep 6, 2012 at 9:31 PM Post #469 of 687
Quote:
It's not something usually added on afterwards. Lunashops should have some that comes with its pins, might even have it separate. Main thing is you can take heat shrink (available at stores like radioshack) and heat it in a mold to form it to the shape around your ear.

Ok, that's probably the weekend project :)  Thank you very much !!!.

Sep 7, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #471 of 687
Quote:
You can also purchase ear guides, i had some come with my IE80.

Oh that will work too !, thanks ! and thanks guys for giving me pms and replies. :)

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:27 AM Post #473 of 687
Quote:

you could probably make that yourself if you had the time, buy some transparent heatshrink then use a 1200w hairdryer  to shrink the tubing onto the selected area.  they say that for durability you can also heat shrink more then one time. so maybe do two coats.

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #474 of 687
Average Joe...I have been lurking around these forums for a while and made a few recent purchases based on reviews done by you (thank you by the way) but have a question. I just bought the JH16 and also purchased the Chris Himself cable but now am looking for a player suitable for this combination. At the moment I am using my Shure 535 and a galaxy s3, as you can see I stepped up my game a little. I am currently looking at the iBasso DX100 for a player cause it looks like a good all in one but your comment of its "brighter with a less organic/more digital feel to the sound" is keeping me from pulling the trigger. Not sure if this would be a good combo...your thoughts?

Sep 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #476 of 687
Quote:
Average Joe...I have been lurking around these forums for a while and made a few recent purchases based on reviews done by you (thank you by the way) but have a question. I just bought the JH16 and also purchased the Chris Himself cable but now am looking for a player suitable for this combination. At the moment I am using my Shure 535 and a galaxy s3, as you can see I stepped up my game a little. I am currently looking at the iBasso DX100 for a player cause it looks like a good all in one but your comment of its "brighter with a less organic/more digital feel to the sound" is keeping me from pulling the trigger. Not sure if this would be a good combo...your thoughts?

@MLW75, I have the JH16 and the DX100 but just the stock cable (although I am considering upgrading the cable to a Chris Himself) and I can vouch for it being a good combination. The sound can at times be bright but not harshly so and I found my Cowon J3 to be brighter. I've tended to notice the over brightness with the odd song\album, which leads me to think that its more likely the song mastering and the revealing nature of the JH16, rather than the JH16\DX100 combo.

The thing I would say with the DX100 is that even though it is an Android player and can technically run apps, I would stick to using it just as a DAP. Make sure it boots fully before you try to play any music ie give it a minute or two to settle down as the firmware and Andriod OS version can be a bit flakey.
Install a Task Killer and kill everything but the music player before you start playing. Also I would stay on firmware 1.1.7 for now as 1.2.3 seems to mess with the sound. I play my music(FLAC) with all EQ turned off and it sounds amazing.

Oct 4, 2012 at 4:36 PM Post #477 of 687
Soooo I got my Chris Himself/HPL OCC Copper cable today that I'm using with my Triple Fi 10 custom.  The cable looks great, I think visually it is better looking wire than the older wire.  Ergonomically, it is flexible, much better than the old solid core wire.  The sound is great, it is detailed, but not bright like silver can sometimes be.  Definately added clarity and bass weight, without being too energetic sounding, which is what I was going for very natural.  There are times I don't want all the energy, but still want the detail, and this is where I feel like going with a high quality copper wire was a good choice..There are no microphonics, and no interference.  One thing that was really annoying me about my Twag Eclipse cable was I got a lot of interference, and I'm not getting that with the CH cable.  

I will be getting a Hybrid cable soon to use with my JH16, I'm excited..love the wood accents it really adds a touch of class.   

Oct 21, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #479 of 687
average_joe (or anyone with a Silver Dragon cable), since the Silver Dragons don't have earguides, how well do they hold over-ear? Or do they keep falling out? I'd appreciate it if anyone can answer this as I am looking to get one for my ASG-1s

Oct 22, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #480 of 687
Hey joe are you planning to review the new headphone lounge cables?  Interested to hear your take on them?  Also some of the 8 conductor cables from Toxic and Whiplash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back