Head-Fi Basshead IEM thread (lists page 1)
Jun 16, 2017 at 12:38 AM Post #11,026 of 12,596
As is well-known, the Sony MDR-EX800ST has a terrible, no-good, really awful cable, which, of course, uses proprietary connectors. After a week of constantly adjusting these very satisfying IEMs, I ordered some DIY connectors from the only known source. I also tried some surgery to fix the original cable which left the earphones useless.
The connectors finally came and I realized that I had put the earphones in one of those safe places that are too safe. I couldn't even make the cable while I looked for them, as I didn't know which side of the tiny wafer you get to solder to was positive and which was ground.
Finally found them. Didn't want to make a cable and cannibalized a no-name MMCX I had acquired. Multimeter went beep, I soldered nervously, the right side connector housing needed a bit of glue to keep it together, and then . . .

my best-sounding IEMs became comfy. Super comfy. Comfy and secure and I don't adjust them at all during my entire 45 minute, dog-walking, train taking, bag-carrying commute. I bought an extra set of connectors, so eventually I'll try making a nicer cable, but it has been pure pleasure with the current setup.

Where did you get the cable? I have the same problem. These are amazing but they do have the tendency to slip and loose the seal.

Jun 17, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #11,027 of 12,596
Not sure if anyone mentioned it(search sucks now and no pics gallery anymore), Sony has another coming. Budget but may be solid...
https://translate.googleusercontent...39049/&usg=ALkJrhhe2x4dzb5t4sR7y3D8muJ1Q3w4UQ
ade2636a6f60e9d0af745f4d8797d256

01_s.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #11,028 of 12,596
Jun 24, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #11,029 of 12,596
Cool!
Those look dope!

I sent my EX1000 for a refit cable with multiple terminations and it was supposed to be a quick deal
5 weeks later and my stuff is still gone and no PM reply :frowning2:

No more Holland MI for me. Going full D.I.Y like you. Please share any pics you got of the work if you took any

That sux, i just saw the thread and it seems your not the only one.....

I was about to send in my ma900 for 3.5mm jack and shorter cables. Oh well, guess i'm gonna have to open them up and do it myself.

Jun 24, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #11,030 of 12,596
That sux, i just saw the thread and it seems your not the only one.....

I was about to send in my ma900 for 3.5mm jack and shorter cables. Oh well, guess i'm gonna have to open them up and do it myself.

Man, I have still not gotten a single reply. If he reads this and he might...(you used the word promise ...bro, that was broken so you shoulda sent a PM) I never paid yet but he has my EX1000 and i just want them back

Jun 25, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #11,031 of 12,596
Peterek's biz is still alive, I think he got swamped by custom orders and the emailing with each customer was taking longer than the builds. I think he just had to dive solidly into the back-log and ignore email for a short while.

Jun 25, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #11,032 of 12,596
Peterek's biz is still alive, I think he got swamped by custom orders and the emailing with each customer was taking longer than the builds. I think he just had to dive solidly into the back-log and ignore email for a short while.

I have touched base and he is alive. Life stuff happens.
My EX1000 are not lost in mail (that stuff does happen) and he is not dead or dying so everything is good. These are just cables...no biggie....but he makes awesome stuff

Jun 25, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #11,034 of 12,596
Amazon Japan has direct shipping to the US now. International shipping is available on many items. I just ordered some xb90ex slightly used for under $80 US. I still used tenso for this order but from now on I'll ship direct from Japan, with no consumption tax to boot. The dollar is slightly favorable to the yen so it's like getting a discount.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #11,035 of 12,596
Amazon Japan had direct shipping to the US now. International shipping is available on many items. I just ordered some xb90ex slightly used for under $80 US. I still used tenso for this order but from now on I ship direct from Japan, with no consumption tax to boot. The dollar is slightly favorable to the yen so it's like getting a discount.
Cool!
Great price.
F___ middle companies that add their own "tax" on top of whatever amazon does. Glad it is more globalized.

Jun 26, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #11,036 of 12,596
Recently left a set of xb90ex in the seatback pocket on a Southwest Airlines flight. :frowning2: Went to purchase a replacement set on Amazon and the price has almost tripled! I believe I paid under $90 USD. I see a few posts up that someone had found a used set for $80usd. Is this price change primarily a supply and demand side-effect since the xb90ex now show as discontinued?

Jun 26, 2017 at 6:48 PM Post #11,038 of 12,596
Recently left a set of xb90ex in the seatback pocket on a Southwest Airlines flight. :frowning2: Went to purchase a replacement set on Amazon and the price has almost tripled! I believe I paid under $90 USD. I see a few posts up that someone had found a used set for $80usd. Is this price change primarily a supply and demand side-effect since the xb90ex now show as discontinued?

yeah, the depleting supply is driving up the prices. The 7550/800s has also gone up in price.

Jun 26, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #11,039 of 12,596

I bought mine slightly used on Amazon Japan. Everywhere else they were over $150 used, over $180 new. I've never heard them. I've heard of them and their rep but didn't want to pay much for them. I found the cheapest used pair on Amazon Japan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back