Grado Fan Club!
Jun 16, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #35,776 of 65,633
A while ago I EQ-ed my music player JRiver and found my SR225e better. Literally I could not stop listening.

Using Chord Mojo DAC.

Anyway, after a bit of a patch of less music listening, I just looked closer at my EQ-ing. I have managed to improve the sound yet more. Specs: -4dB at 3kHz, -3.5dB at 6KHz, and ~ - 3dB at 12KHz. The result is something I wasn't expecting. Music actually sounds to be massaging my hearing. I mean not only does the music have more depth, better balance, and more interest. It actually makes my hearing feel like it's being repaired.

(I think I am going to have a go at @DavidA modding. Dynomat, sorthobane, and felt. (Plus some cheaper denser pads to retain lower frequencies.) The mods make sense to me, so I might do it. Hearing what these headphones are capable of is food for thought.)

Jun 16, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #35,777 of 65,633
Thanks so much for actually giving the EQ settings... so many folks say "I just EQ-ed my headphones and they are now WONDERFUL," then don't tell you what EQ settings they used. Makes as much sense as saying "I have a world-shattering salacious secret... But I can't tell you!"

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #35,778 of 65,633
Thanks so much for actually giving the EQ settings... so many folks say "I just EQ-ed my headphones and they are now WONDERFUL," then don't tell you what EQ settings they used. Makes as much sense as saying "I have a world-shattering salacious secret... But I can't tell you!"
Have to aggree. Reminds me of the line from the Grinch: "Solve world hunger, tell no one." If anyone comes up with some ideas for EQ'ing PS1000E, I'd love to hear them.

Jun 16, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #35,779 of 65,633
...retstates the point I've been making that eq can totally transform a Grado - or other headphone -
and is particularly needed for some.

such as my SR325e - for my tastes 1 db down at 5.02k and 7.956K each, 2db down at both 12.6 and 20k sounds great.

For GS1000i; .8 db up at 3.17k, .5 db up at 5.02k, .25 up at 7.96k, .25 down at 12.6 and
1 db down at 20k

I use Marvel Voxengo VST plugin in Audirvana 3+ on my Mac, in IOS use the eq in Kaisertone.

I feel that there is a bias against using eq and a shying away from headphones that are said to benefit from it.

In my experience, proper use of eq plugin and settings has made these two headphones sound absolutely sublime!

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #35,780 of 65,633
Have to aggree. Reminds me of the line from the Grinch: "Solve world hunger, tell no one." If anyone comes up with some ideas for EQ'ing PS1000E, I'd love to hear them.

Well, Mojo is tuned slightly dark, so I guess you'd leave it similar. I still alter it a bit. Overall though, it's the effect that took me by surprise.

(P.S. Over fifties might want to leave 12kHz at 0dB (instead of a minus dB). Since on average we lose sensitivity to hearing in that range past fifty years of age. I mean just alter it around; it will either sound too bright or add tone, texture, and depth. Then you know when it's right.)

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #35,784 of 65,633
Anyone know a vendor that can install either Audeze or Sennheiser connectors on Grado PS500 headphones?

Which Sennheiser connector were you considering? Moon Audio does the HD800 IIRC but its not a connector I would suggest due to the cost of the HD800 connectors. The Audeze mini-XLR is too large of a connector for the PS500 and would require a lot of cutting of the cups, unless you want to attach the connectors pig tail style. I've used SMC jacks which fit with very little work and would be my recommendation.

Jun 18, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #35,787 of 65,633

If there is no mention of wich kind of Eq one is using, and no information about bandwith, that information is pretty much useless.
I find that there is +2.5dB resonance peak in most of e-series grado drivers, at 2100Hz, but what you need to know, is that it is very, very narrow.

Jun 18, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #35,788 of 65,633
Last edited:
Jun 18, 2017 at 9:20 AM Post #35,790 of 65,633
No. Balancing headphones is pretty much useless. It does not affect sound quality it self, but eliminates possible buzzing, and such in long cable runs.
http://www.aviom.com/blog/balanced-vs-unbalanced/
Balanced connection also allows double the voltage to be applied to the transducer, allowing faster transient and larger voltage swing.
With lower output per channel also should allows the amplifier to operate in a more linear region, thereby minimizing output distortions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back