Cable differences between Denon AH-D5000 and AH-D2000 (w/ pic)
Jul 28, 2007 at 11:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

Nebby

Headphoneus Supremus
While re-terminating my D5000's at Aaron's place, I thought it would be a good idea to take a picture to put an end to the questions about the differences between the two cables. Personally, I thought my D5000 cable was pretty good, and assumed the D2000's were also....I was wrong.

Giant picture to show the differences between the two cables:
931974291_3cc1794ca0_b.jpg

To put it simply, the D5000 cable puts the D2000 cable to shame.

The D5000 cable has the two separate pairs each surrounded by cotton, wrapped in thin paper and wrapped in nylon sleeving. Then those two pairs are surrounded by cotton, wrapped in thin paper , and wrapped in nylon sleeving.

The D2000 cable....has all four cables right next to each other, inside plastic insulation, which I assume to be pvc.

Here is a picture showing the differences between the cables when they're laid down. D5000 with cable on left, D2000 cable on the right.

As you can obviously see, the D5000 is much thicker. In fact, the individual pairs after the split are just slightly smaller in diameter than the entire D2000 cable. The cotton inside the D5000 cable goes a long way towards preventing the D2000 tangling issue, and in general is a much more robust feeling cable.

Hope this puts an end to all the musings about the differences between the two cables
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 39
We were both really surprised about this! The D5000 cable was really easy to work with when we balanced it out. Also, the change is signature was pretty drastic going from SE on the Apache to balanced. There is a significant difference.

Jul 29, 2007 at 12:36 AM Post #3 of 39
How did you two go about terminating the D5000 cable into the balanced jacks with all that wrapping, stuffing, etc. etc.? Curious to see if anyone is using any "tricks" to keep things neat . . .

Jul 29, 2007 at 1:00 AM Post #5 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by splawren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How did you two go about terminating the D5000 cable into the balanced jacks with all that wrapping, stuffing, etc. etc.? Curious to see if anyone is using any "tricks" to keep things neat . . .

These are the easiest cable to reterminate. You trim it down, use a lighter on the microfilliment and a little heat shrink. It took us all of 10 minutes to balance them out.

Jul 29, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #6 of 39
True, credit is due to Denon for insulating the cables, but I was personally shocked at the difference in the two cables. I wasn't expecting such a big difference.

Jul 29, 2007 at 1:05 AM Post #7 of 39
We need more of this type of technical documentation. Thanks for taking the time to take these pics and post them.

Between the cable and the woodie, I think the D5000 is worth the added money.

Jul 29, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #8 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by tbonner1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We need more of this type of technical documentation. Thanks for taking the time to take these pics and post them.

Between the cable and the woodie, I think the D5000 is worth the added money.

No doubt. I was able to directly compare the two, and while they are quite similar, the D5000 wins for sure, and that better cable is a big reason why.

Jul 29, 2007 at 1:46 AM Post #9 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No doubt. I was able to directly compare the two, and while they are quite similar, the D5000 wins for sure, and that better cable is a big reason why.

Funny, my home made recabled D2000 and the balanced D5000 have very little difference and go against a lot of what you wrote Skylab but I'm using silver coated copper solid core vs. the braided copper of the stock D5000 cable. Now this is just because of the cable but the D2000 now has very slightly better highs and are a little brighter. The soundstage is slightly more compact compaired to the reterminated D5000. Otherwise the benefit from balancing them out made a much larger difference than either of us expected. To be honest, there is very little difference, but it is there. His refinished cups look fantastic though and as soon as I can get a pair I'm going to put them on the D2000.

We started with my D2000 balanced and compaired them to the D5000 SE before reterminating them and there was a significant difference at this point that you could hear the instant you put them on. The Denon cans sound better balanced through the Apache then SE by far. The bass seemed uncontrolled SE compaired to balanced and this seems to be the biggest improvement.

Jul 29, 2007 at 3:36 AM Post #11 of 39
Thanks for the pics! This may sound nuts, but I'm pretty psyched about the lower grade cable on the D2000 because I am sending out my D2000 on Monday to get it recabled! It's good to know my hard earned money will be spent on a worthwhile endeavor.

Jul 29, 2007 at 4:28 AM Post #12 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, is there a difference between D2000 and D5000 using the same cable and same termination (SE or Balanced doesn't matter)?

That's a good question, but one that I won't be answering....Just having finished reterminating my cable to XLR, I don't want to bother with recabling my D5000's just to see if it sounds the same. Between what I've heard with my D5000 and Aaron's D2000, I would assume that since the differences are so close even with the different cables, that with the same cables they would sound nearly identical. That's just conjecture though, so someone else will have to do a test
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2007 at 6:34 PM Post #13 of 39
I think it is possible that if a recabled D2000 can sound better than D5000 in some areas, only the total cost would be higher than a stock D5000 already.

Jul 29, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #14 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by ManAtWork /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it is possible that if a recabled D2000 can sound better than D5000 in some areas, only the total cost would be higher than a stock D5000 already.

Actually more like even.
And considering how unaesthetic and tangling cable is on both, it's a well worth upgrade.

Jul 29, 2007 at 8:28 PM Post #15 of 39
I haven't had any issues with tangling on my d5000's, and I don't think the cable on it is ugly by any means.

edit: I've added a comparison pic of both cables to the original post to show the overall difference in looks and thickness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back