Cable differences between Denon AH-D5000 and AH-D2000 (w/ pic)
Aug 2, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #16 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't had any issues with tangling on my d5000's, and I don't think the cable on it is ugly by any means.

edit: I've added a comparison pic of both cables to the original post to show the overall difference in looks and thickness.

Did you figure out the colour code for the 5000's wires? I'm having problems with the plug on mine and am looking at replacing it.

Aug 2, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #17 of 39
I actually just soldered them to the xlr pins and then plugged them in to see which one was left and which was right. It's packed up for my flight out tomorrow, but send me a PM so I'll remember to check when I get back, and I'll let you know
smily_headphones1.gif

Btw, you'll appreciate the quality of the cable when you work with it, it was a pleasure reterminating the D5k's compared to other cans
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 2, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #18 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually just soldered them to the xlr pins and then plugged them in to see which one was left and which was right. It's packed up for my flight out tomorrow, but send me a PM so I'll remember to check when I get back, and I'll let you know
smily_headphones1.gif

Btw, you'll appreciate the quality of the cable when you work with it, it was a pleasure reterminating the D5k's compared to other cans
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks. I send the PM next week to remind you even more
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 14, 2008 at 5:10 PM Post #19 of 39
I would like to bump this very old thread because the question I would like to ask seems to belong here: so far it seems the D5000 cable is from higher quality and doesn't tangle as badly as the D2000. But is it better sonically? For example: can anybody tell the difference between D2000 and a D2000 with a D5000 cable? Does it actually improves the sound quality? Thanks.

Dec 14, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #20 of 39
im pretty sure the cable is almost the sole reason for increased sound quality on the D5000. So yes, the cable sounds better. I could not afford d5000 when i bought my d2000's, i may upgrade the cable later though.

Mar 25, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #23 of 39
Hello folks

I´ve re-cabled my D2000 now with the factory D7000 cable. Have been looking for a relatively cheap re-cabling option and decided to try this one. I also replaced the factory 1/4" jack by a Switchcraft right-angle jack.

Here are a few shots to show the cross-section of the cable. The braided textile protection has been removed (for the photo).

3386085126_9f8527c340_b.jpg

3385272225_c30c20ba97_b.jpg

I find it very surprising that there is no white (paper or whatever) insulation layer outside. The same PVC-looking black plastic insulation is found as in the D2000 cable. Yet the cable is much more flexible and so far I am very satisfied with its sonic characteristics as well. No other mods have been done yet. However, I also got a pair of D7000 wood earcups and will put them on soon (not that easy).

I guess now it needs some burn-in.

Hope the information is useful for some of you.

Cheers,

pw

"The D2000 cable....has all four cables right next to each other, inside plastic insulation, which I assume to be pvc."

Mar 25, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #24 of 39
Any major differences in Sonic? just with the recable between songs?

Mar 26, 2009 at 10:28 AM Post #25 of 39
First impressions:

It´s better now than it was after about 250 hours burn-in with the default D2k cable. Actually I think I will stop here (apart from changing to D7k wood earcups, as soon as I figure out how exactly that could be done), I like the bass as it is now -- no further damping needed for my taste. It was slightly too much and now it´s just fine. Also the highs come out better now. In one word, it´s more balanced. Yet before burn-in and without a decent amp (source: Fujitsu-Siemens Lifebook E8020D with its built-in sound card).

I posted the pics because the structure of the cable kinda "shocked" me with the black PVC which seems to be the reason why the D2k cable is so rigid. I have read that the D5k and the D7k cables are supposed to be identical. (?!)
But it seems to be *very* OK.

o2smile.gif

Mar 26, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #26 of 39
I'm going to recable mine with Kimber 4TC terminated with 1/4" Furutech jack after discussing it with local audiophiles. It's going to be very interesting.
biggrin.gif

@polarwarrior
I'm waiting for news on how you're going to fit the D7000 cups on the D2000. Very interesting as well.

Mar 27, 2009 at 10:38 AM Post #27 of 39
Well I have managed to fit them. It was easier than I thought.
The diameter of the cups is OK. They don´t fit because of the small plastic posts behind the driver (4). I think it is possible to slicing them off, however this would have been irreversible. Therefore I have decided to mod the wood cups instead.

I made 4 holes in the wood carvings so that the plastic posts could fit. The mahogany wood seems to be much easier to work with (a good knife did the job) than slicing off the pots and if you´ve changed your mind and want to restore the original state you don´t need to get a new driver
smily_headphones1.gif

Before putting back the driver I put a little bit of some epoxy-based glue into each hole (a little bit!!!, as I really didn´t want to glue the plastic pots in case I ever want to disassemble it again) and filled the rest with dense fiberloft, because the holes were circular and the plastic pots rectangular. I am not much into acoustics and have no clue how the voids if left unfilled would affect sound quality. The epoxy at the tip of each hole is supposed to help hold the screws in place (after hardening). They are tight now, thanks to the glue in each hole.

Done!

It would have been easier to use a little bit of glass fiber filler in the holes which hardens in about 24 hours if you don´t mind the chemical bond to the plastic what the filler builds up, that is, if you don´t want to disassemble it anymore.

I am satisfied now. Burn-in starts
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif

@polarwarrior
I'm waiting for news on how you're going to fit the D7000 cups on the D2000. Very interesting as well.

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #28 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But let's give credit where credit is due to Denon. Typically, you will not find individually insulated wires and to see that with the D2000s is impressive in my book.

I think Grado's are like that.

Mar 27, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #30 of 39
I'd not seen this thread before, but now I have, I thought I'd chime in.

I tried a D5000 cable on my D2000 when I had them. I could not hear any difference between the two cables.

By the time I did the cable swap I had been using the D2000 for about six months and was very familiar with them. There was no sonic improvement with the new cable. I did prefer the way the D5000 didn't twist up as much though
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back