zu cable mobius or silver dragon
Jan 4, 2004 at 5:06 PM Post #61 of 137
Quote:

Originally posted by Sean H
Oh, I don't know, just something goofy.
smily_headphones1.gif
I have two kids who watch a lot of PBS Kids programs on PBS. That last avatar I had before by the way was Dr. Cox from the NBC show Scrubs, which I figured most knew, but I had a couple people actually ask me if that was me!

Yeah, I recognized your older avatar. I liked that show. Heheh.

I still haven't decided on an avatar yet.

-Ed

Jan 4, 2004 at 7:31 PM Post #63 of 137
header.jpg

John C. Mcginley. I find him hilarious, he's been in a lot of movies!

Ha ha ha!!! I think that happens to a lot of people. Markl had a pic of what I think was a member of The Monkeys for the longest time and I was kind of wondering if that was him.

Sorry to hijak the thread!

Jan 4, 2004 at 7:51 PM Post #64 of 137
Quote:

Originally posted by Sean H
I've wondered this. Do they use separate runs of a copper conductor(s) and a silver conductor(s) or are they using silver coated copper?

mostly hybrid cables are silver plated/coated copper.
i don't think seperate runs of copper and silver strands would sound that good.

Jan 4, 2004 at 11:32 PM Post #65 of 137
I'm trying to decide about a replacement cable for the HD650s, too:

Moon Audio still doesn't seem to have a cable ready for prime time - their site continues to state "coming soon." Zu cables just shows a cable for the HD600s - does it fit the 650s? And what about the Bayley Audio DiamondBack cable for the 650s mentioned by tom hankins - it's not due out until 01/21/04, apparently, but is a whole lot more affordable than the other replacement cables - and is a product from a fellow Head-Fier. What should I buy?
confused.gif

Jan 5, 2004 at 12:34 AM Post #66 of 137
Quote:

Originally posted by OakIris

Moon Audio still doesn't seem to have a cable ready for prime time - their site continues to state "coming soon." Zu cables just shows a cable for the HD600s - does it fit the 650s? And what about the Bayley Audio DiamondBack cable for the 650s mentioned by tom hankins - it's not due out until 01/21/04, apparently, but is a whole lot more affordable than the other replacement cables - and is a product from a fellow Head-Fier. What should I buy?
confused.gif

The Zu Mobius does indeed fit the HD650. The Baley Audio cable looks very promising but not any impressions of it at this point. A couple other big ones you didn't mention are the Cardas or Equinox cables, which are both very good. I have the Equinox right now and like it a lot. Seems the new cables are taking the center stage right now but I'd encourage you to consider the Cardas or Equinox too. As to which one you should buy I think you need to definitely read all the impressions and comments that have been made about all the various cables to date or take the plunge and try one or more out. Equinox, Cardas, Zu and Baley all have generous money back gurantee/trial periods.

Jan 5, 2004 at 12:57 AM Post #67 of 137
Thanks, Sean H. I have an Equinox replacement cable for my Senn HD590s and have no problem with it.

The main cable replacement contenders for the HD650s, however, seem to be the as yet unavailable Silver Dragon (Moon Audio) cable and the Zu Mobius cable. I remain intrigued by the Bayley Audio cable, however - I currently have some MagWire interconnects and a MagWire headphone extension cable from Jim Hess and really like them, (though I haven't had a chance to burn them in as yet,) and since Chris of Bayley uses magnet wires, too, I was hoping for some impressions of his (also not yet available
frown.gif
) replacement cable!

I guess I'll have to make a decision and just give them a try - both Zu and Bayley Audio seem to have generous return policies.

Jan 5, 2004 at 1:41 AM Post #68 of 137
Quote:

The main cable replacement contenders for the HD650s, however, seem to be the as yet unavailable Silver Dragon (Moon Audio) cable and the Zu Mobius cable.

Yikes! I don't think that is at all the consensus of most HD650 owners or Head Fi as a whole. The newer cables certainly are quite popular right now but I think even Tom Hankins, SACD Lover and many others who have a Zu Mobius that have owned/heard an Equinox would say it is not a contender for the HD650! Even if one hadn't heard the Equinox I don't think anyone has ever said it's not a good choice for the HD650. Did you hear somewhere that it is not supposed to be competitive with the newer, more popular cables? The Equinox works great with the HD650's. There was a nice mini-review just the other day from a HD650/Equinox owner. I know I am an owner of one here and it looks like I'm trying to defend the castle but if your sentiment is the conscious of people here at Head-Fi it's sadly wrong.

Jan 5, 2004 at 2:14 AM Post #69 of 137
Ooops - I didn't mean that the Equinox wasn't a good cable, nor that it wasn't in contention for the "best" replacement cable. I guess that in most of the recent threads I've read about replacement cables (such as Tuberoller's review, etc.,) though the Equinox cable is mentioned favorably, it seems to get lost amongst the posts about the Zu Mobius and the Silver Dragon, so I sort of lost sight of it.
redface.gif

Jan 5, 2004 at 10:06 PM Post #70 of 137
For any of you guys who can solder and have an extra HD-650
cable laying around grado labs told me they will send a 325 cable for only 35$. You may think the idea is corny but I can tell you.Youwould not be sorry.So far my cable is very natural sounding it really brings out what is good about the HD 650s.My wife also reminded me that most people dont like the idea of cutting cables
apart.I guess I dont think much about it been doing it more then 40 years OH well just thought someone would want to know

Jan 5, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #71 of 137
I just ordered a 2.5 meter Zu Mobius, and found that the intro pricing is still in effect ($199 for 2.5 m) even though it's not posted on the site. This could be discontinued at any time (but they haven't decided when).

Jan 6, 2004 at 2:36 AM Post #72 of 137
Quote:

confused.gif

The guy from Moon Audio told me he'd send a mass mailer sometime this month to inform us of shipment. The production difficulties should be resolved soon... according to him...

Jan 6, 2004 at 2:44 AM Post #73 of 137
I will be patient (maybe!) The stock cable isn't horrible by any means, so it's not as if I am suffering. I'm hoping someone will have the opportunity to do a review of the various cables that includes the Diamond Back by Bayley Audio. I realize the best thing would be to audition them myself, but I can't afford to buy all 4 cables so I can A/B them to see which one I like the best with my system and my ears...
frown.gif

Jan 6, 2004 at 10:27 PM Post #75 of 137
I'm still trying to make a decision about what cable to get for my HD650s. By the time I make up my mind, I probably won't have the $$ to buy!
rolleyes.gif

I have read Tuberoller's great review of the various cables currently available (or at least available to him, in the case of the Moon Audio cables) a couple of times now, and have some questions.

He mentions that the Moon Audio headphone plug is loose in locking headphone jacks and that the looseness gets worse, causing a problem with static & RFI. And yet, he otherwise had nothing bad to say about the cable. Should this cable be eliminated just on the basis of the plug? (Do all headphone amps have a "locking jack" - ?? If not, is this problem just with locking jacks??)

I am planning to get a SinglePower MPX3 amp when I can afford it. Tuberoller said that the Silver Dragon was superb with the Wheatfield and Supra amps. He also said that, due to the "midrange bump," the Zu cable sounded "a bit out of balance with the Tubed amps." And yet he went on to say that he loved the combo of the Mobius with the Supra amp. So, which cable will sound better with tube amps??
confused.gif

O.K., I know that no one here can make up my mind for me, but I'm just trying to get more input from all of the knowledgeable people here.
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back