zu cable mobius or silver dragon
Dec 23, 2003 at 4:20 AM Post #16 of 137
I honestly cannot give a pure A/B comparison. I simply do not want to yank the connectors and swap cables alot, due to how fragile the socket spring is.

Although since Iron_Dreamer is getting an HD600 soon, I'm sure we can do a nice A/B comparison between stock cable and Zu cable.

-Ed

Dec 23, 2003 at 9:53 AM Post #17 of 137
Sean H, going by your comments, I think you should stick with the equinox for your HD650. Maybe you already have your bird in the hand? I think the Zu does open the sound up at both ends of the frequency range. Although I don't think they are lacking in body, they are not as heavy or dark sounding as the equinox.

Dec 23, 2003 at 12:07 PM Post #18 of 137
Quote:

Originally posted by Guild
Wide spread discussion won't happen until the first batch starts arriving at peoples doorsteps.

I preordered the silver dragon - Drew ( of moon audio ) said that the first batch will be ready by Xmas - but when I contacted him last week - he said he was having some problems with the mold shop - so I guess I will receive my Xmas present AFTER Xmas
frown.gif

Dec 23, 2003 at 5:38 PM Post #20 of 137
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood

Although since Iron_Dreamer is getting an HD600 soon, I'm sure we can do a nice A/B comparison between stock cable and Zu cable.

Just going off the memory of what your Zu sounded like, as compared to mine with the stock cable, I'd say it makes the bass have more impact, brings the midrange a little more upfront and aggressive, and definitely extends the highs higher.

Dec 23, 2003 at 6:04 PM Post #21 of 137
Quote:

Originally posted by tom hankins
Sean H, going by your comments, I think you should stick with the equinox for your HD650. Maybe you already have your bird in the hand? I think the Zu does open the sound up at both ends of the frequency range. Although I don't think they are lacking in body, they are not as heavy or dark sounding as the equinox.

Hey Tom- Well, you may be right. I'll only know for sure if I try it. The Zu does have a money back guarantee. Another curve ball is I plan to audition the Emmeline XP-7 soon and so I don't want to do too much at once. Thanks for all your insight on the Zu it's been very helpful.

Dec 24, 2003 at 4:58 PM Post #24 of 137
Just got my Zu cable last night for my HD650s. I didn't really a/b them other than initially because it seemed like too much trouble to keep changing the cables. The Zu cable actually fit pretty good, about the same pressure to insert the stock cable.

I just listened to a few tracks with the stock cable 1st and then switch to the Zu and never switched back.

The cable change reminded me of adding the S cable adapter to an ety ER-4P. It extended the high and lows, brought out the detail and opened up the soundstage. The main difference you'll notice is how clean and crisp the highs sound. Then you notice the bass is no longer boomy (which I thought just required more burn-in with the stock cable). It is very controlled, accurate, and deep. The last thing is the soundstage. It increased the depth and a little bit of the width. Not only is it easy to pick out each instrument, you can easily place the distance between them.

The only issue I had with the cable is it seem just a bit bright but after burning it for 10 hours, it seems to help. I'm sure it could also be my source. I plan to keep burning in the cable to get at least a 100 or more hours on it. This will also give my headphone over 200 hours on it so they should be close to being done.

Dec 24, 2003 at 6:35 PM Post #25 of 137
My Zu and HD650's really opened up after the first 100 hours. I've got close to 400 hours on both the cables and the phones and the sound is sooooooo sweet. 200 hours of this time was non-stop. The cables warm up alot by 100 hours but continue to get nicer even after the 200 hour mark. Congrats on your purchase. Your findings are the same as mine so far. In my system the bass really came on strong after 100 hours. When the Zu was new I thought the Equinox gave a much better showing with the bass. By the 150 hour mark it wasn't even close. I hope you end up as happy as I have been with my cable. Merry Christmas!

Dec 25, 2003 at 1:46 PM Post #26 of 137
my zu is finally broken in. I'd say about 100 hours atleast... They really do warm up, and they sound pretty damn sweet! Put the cardas to shame i think... My favorite part about them is the sound stage. Put it this way, i think so highly of them I've been using my zu/hd600 them instead of my cd3000 which i love specifically for the sound stage. (Though there still isn't a fair comparison).

The mobius really is something special, enjoy it man.

Dec 25, 2003 at 11:16 PM Post #27 of 137
Ok, I'm getting closer to trying out a Zu. Few more questions.

Honestly, does the Zu sound bright to any of you?

Do any of you feel the upper midrange/lower treble range to be in any way exagerrated or appear to be ruthlessly revealing?

Anyone feeling like they are hearing more brightness or the like but have decided it's a trade off for how good it sounds overall?

Does the lower midrange/upper bass seem in any way lean or thin? Is it full?

I haven't heard all that much about the midrange, only comments about the extremes and soundstage. Is it full, natural, detailed, fleshy and accurate or does it tend to make the midrange sound thin or lifeless in any way?

Dec 26, 2003 at 1:20 AM Post #28 of 137
I don't think you hear much about the midrange because it sounded pretty good before with the stock cable so you notice the other things first. I still have a ways to go on burnin it in but it sounds balanced to me. I thought the bass sounded a little boomy before and now I think it sounds perfect. The mids are nice and full, just how they should be and the highs are crisp. My source is what's bright so I have to try them on a better system to give an accurate description (or the other members can give one).

They definately provide much more detail than before. They also make for a better headphone for all genres. I thought they sounded great for classical and jazz before, but now rock albums (Audioslave, Tool, Soundgarden) sound great too. The jazz and classical albums are even better.

The main thing is they now sound clean. Not that they sounded muddy before but now the full spectrum is brought out.

I have no complaints. I guess you still need some people to do a direct comparison between the zu and the silver dragon. So as perfect as you think something can sound, there is always something better. Maybe the silver dragon is or isn't but it would sure take a lot to beat the zu.

Dec 26, 2003 at 1:33 AM Post #29 of 137
I found the bass to be a bit on the muddy side when I first got my Zu cable. That definitely clears up as the cable breaks in.

As for harsh treble, I didn't find it harsh at all, even when brand new. And I have a total solid state setup. If anything it clears it up. With the older cable, there was a little bit of high end distortion with a really high extention, but not with the Zu.

The mids might be a little flat when you first get it, but I agree that it does warm back up when you break it in.

Overall, it really is pretty equal opening up of all the frequencies. Particularly the low and high end, as I always felt the 600's were pretty warm to begin with. But low end and high end was a bit lacking compared to the mids. I really feel that the headphones are better balanced across the spectrum with the Zu cable. Although, I still find it pretty warm. Which isn't a bad thing.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back