zu cable mobius or silver dragon
Dec 26, 2003 at 4:26 AM Post #31 of 137
I've got a recent Zu cable (bought it in November) and My HD600's have the Ribs/nubs on the inside of the connector socket. It's a tight fit, but it fits perfectly. No wiggling once it's in. You're not going to want to take these guy in and out alot for sure.

Then again, my Zu's are staying in my 600's for along time.
600smile.gif

-Ed

Dec 26, 2003 at 7:00 AM Post #32 of 137
To me it was hands down the Silver Dragon that I heard in Grado Labs this November - amazing sound, crisp, brisk, fast, very detailed but not boring, shimmering top and textured low end - at some point I thought it sounded like a refined Cardas cable. Keep in ming though, it was a Silver Dragon/HD600 combo that I plugged in my system, so I'm not sure if it will have the same effect with HD650.

Dec 28, 2003 at 2:24 AM Post #34 of 137
Thanks for the reponses, guys, I appreciate it. I might go ahead and order one and give it a try, it does have that nice lengthy return policy.

Dec 29, 2003 at 5:07 AM Post #36 of 137
I got my HD650s about a month ago and burned them in on my existing excellent cardas cables. Wonderful headphones; definite improvement from the very good HD600s. My Zu Mobius was ordered on the strength of its reviews here by Tubes and others and arrived about a week ago. Promotional price was a plus. Excellent build and fitment. Forced burn-in for 24 hours with XLO Reference Recordings burn-in track. Since then it's been pure pleasure. WOW! At least two levels closer to the recording. It's a slightly heavier and stiffer cable than the Cardas, but microphonics have been minimal. What others have described as bright is to me the sound of the silver conductor. Very fast. Extended frequency range, but in no way harsh. Excellent visceral bass. Musical. This is my new standard. Amazing and pleasant how this hobby keeps renewing itself.
600smile.gif

Dec 29, 2003 at 5:11 AM Post #37 of 137
Yeah, the brightness smooths out after break in.

It really does put to rest the notion that the 600's are too laid back.

Well, provided you put some real amplification behind them.

Iron_Dreamer can attest to that. He was hooked when he plugged them into his Gilmore.
600smile.gif

-Ed

Dec 29, 2003 at 7:07 AM Post #40 of 137
Yeah, the Archos is pretty special, it has one of the most powerful headphone amps built into a portable player. Kicks iPod's ass in output.

Too bad the firmware sux ass. and it's pretty big and ugly. Yay for Rockbox, though.
wink.gif

Too bad no Monkey for Archos, though.
frown.gif
Cuz with it's digital SPDIF output, it would have been the perfect portable source for me. Monkey + Archos + Grace would've been great.

Oh well.

-Ed

Dec 29, 2003 at 11:43 PM Post #41 of 137
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood
Yeah, the brightness smooths out after break in.

It really does put to rest the notion that the 600's are too laid back.

Well, provided you put some real amplification behind them.

Iron_Dreamer can attest to that. He was hooked when he plugged them into his Gilmore.
600smile.gif

-Ed

Same thing here. I have almost 100 hours on them and they no longer sound bright and the bass opened up even more. They have a nice warm sound that is crystal clear and excellent detail. Every song played though them sounds incredible.

Dec 30, 2003 at 7:11 PM Post #43 of 137
Congrats on your new cables. Hope you like them as much as I do.

Jan 1, 2004 at 1:01 PM Post #44 of 137
I ordered a 6 meter Zu Mobius yesterday to go with Senn 650, had to take advantage of the introductory pricing (still ungodly expensive)

There is no doubt that Senn 600/Cardas sounds very good (noticeably better vs stock cable) but does not have "full" treble extension/detail........all I need to do is insert my Sony 3000 on same song and hear all the treble detail that is obscured.

I am hoping that Senn 650/Zu Mobius will split the difference between Senn 600/Cardas ---> Sony 3000 and give more treble extension but retain the relaxed musical nature I enjoy with Senn.

That new guy NATE at Zu seems like a decent chap, he is handling a lot of phone sales calls now for Adam.

Jan 1, 2004 at 5:17 PM Post #45 of 137
Well guys this is not for the faint of heart.I thought about getting a new cable for my HD-650s but did not want to part with the cash.And seeing how i have some stuff laying around i spliced a grado headphone cable into my HD-650 headphone cable kinda like those companys do except i didnt make this cable .I lived with the 600 cardas set up for quite some time and it dont even come close.BEWARE though it aint that easy if you have some patience
a set of grados you aint using go for it you wont be sorry.These sounded good with the stock cable now they are amazing.The cans i took the cable were already trashed i didnt want someone to think i would just kill a pair of grados for no reason.This cable was off a set of 125s so you dont need higher end set to sound good.The wire in 650s is a joke so it dont take a ho lot to improve
on it. OH well just a thought.If you dont want to do this i can understand just thought a couple of you might be interested. Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back