zu cable mobius or silver dragon
Dec 22, 2003 at 4:49 PM Post #2 of 137
I should be getting my Zu Mobius today or tomorrow for my HD650s. I can only give a comparison to the stock cable. The stock has about 100 hours on it, so I don't know if it would be fair to compare a new cable to the stock but I heard the Zu is supposed to sound better out of the box than a burned in stock cable.

I'll posted back after testing and maybe a week later when the cable has more hours on it.

Dec 22, 2003 at 7:41 PM Post #4 of 137
Dec 22, 2003 at 7:46 PM Post #5 of 137
thanks again
wink.gif

but there's no respnce to the silver dragon. want to know if this cable is even better then the mobius.

Dec 22, 2003 at 7:55 PM Post #6 of 137
I've got the ZU and it is GREAT. I've had a chance to compare it to the Equinox and the stock HD650 and HD600 cables and also had the Cardas. it is better than all of the other cables I mentioned across the entire frequency range. Nice highs with just the right amount of sparkle, clean and clear, the mids are the sweetest and most musical of the cables, and the bass is no contest at all. By far my favorite senn. cable.
I don't know if the silver dragon is out yet or not. You might want to try out one of the new cables thats in a thread in the cables forum. They are affordable and have a money back trial period. The thread is titled "affordable HD650,600,580 cable" check it out. www.bayleyaudio.com

Dec 22, 2003 at 8:08 PM Post #7 of 137
Quote:

Originally posted by tom hankins
I've got the ZU and it is GREAT. I've had a chance to compare it to the Equinox and the stock HD650 and HD600 cables and also had the Cardas. it is better than all of the other cables I mentioned across the entire frequency range. Nice highs with just the right amount of sparkle, clean and clear, the mids are the sweetest and most musical of the cables, and the bass is no contest at all. By far my favorite senn. cable.
I don't know if the silver dragon is out yet or not. You might want to try out one of the new cables thats in a thread in the cables forum. They are affordable and have a money back trial period. The thread is titled "affordable HD650,600,580 cable" check it out. www.bayleyaudio.com

thanks for your info.

since i live in europe, i don't think the manufacterers would give me a money back guarantee, don't you think? not to mention the high import duties for every cable to try.
frown.gif

Dec 22, 2003 at 8:30 PM Post #9 of 137
Tourmaline,

Hello there. When the cable is released the loaner program will extend internationally. Please feel free to email me for more information.

Chris

Dec 23, 2003 at 12:04 AM Post #11 of 137
I haven't heard the Zu, I have heard the Silver Dragon, I liked it very much. It clearly outperformed both the Cardas and the stock cable.

Dec 23, 2003 at 12:50 AM Post #12 of 137
I have the Zu cable with my 600's. I like them alot. The machined aluminum connectors are really nice. The newer ones fit the ribbed/nubbed sockets of the 600's like a glove.

Base and treble will be the first things you will notice immediately. They do take a bit of time to open up though.

The cable is quite heavy and stiff, though. It really needs a shirt clip or something.

-Ed

Dec 23, 2003 at 1:36 AM Post #13 of 137
For now, discussing about the Silver Dragon is going to be limited to lucky SOBs like Tuberoller and those who have heard it at meets. Wide spread discussion won't happen until the first batch starts arriving at peoples doorsteps. I'm sure a thread will be created at that time (if not, I'll start one.)

Dec 23, 2003 at 4:07 AM Post #14 of 137
I'm quite intrigued with the Zu but just not sold yet. With all due respect to tom, I hold his words in high regard, but I'm still reluctant right now. Ultimately, I need to just try it for myself. Until a pair of HGA Silver Lace came along I have never been too groovy with silver cables, most of the various silver IC's I have tried were too "hi-fi" sounding, with a slightly etched, wide open and ultra revealing character that was more electronical than musical. The Silver Lace is not like that. I prefer a warmer, even slightly darker presentation, that is accurate, coherent and full through the midrange first and foremost. I'm afraid that the Zu will focus too much on the extremes and the front end defintion of notes rather than the body, if you know what I mean. I'm also afraid of it having a tilted up treble range too. I don't know where I am going with this, I'm just on the fence right now I guess. Any additonal insight you Zu owners can offer?

Dec 23, 2003 at 4:16 AM Post #15 of 137
Quoting Nick Dangerous from another thread:

FYI, if you get to audition the MG Head (or the Audiovalve RKV, ASL Twin Head, or comparable tube amp), the Equinox cable is a better match for the Senns. It maximizes the velvety and airy nature of the Senns and fixes its perceived lack of bass.

The Cardas cable alters the basic character of the Senns. Some of the changes are favorable, and some aren't. I think it tries to fix what is better served by purchasing another headphone such as a Grado.

I currently own the Equinox and agree with ND's charaterization of it here, and I also once owned the Cardas too and found that ND's summary of it is what I thought as well. I'm afraid the Zu will try to do the same as the Cardas. Any honest thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back