Zorloo Ztella USB C DAC impressions thread
Jan 2, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #107 of 393
Thanks for your impression. This is what should be happening here lol

Maybe your impression about "3D sound" is how the DAC decodes the track. I don't think this little think can do anything more than other kind of DAC... I believe the good review and comparison should be Ztella MQA vs Dragonfly red, black and Cobalt, and any LG phone with quad ESS DAC.

Regarding your iBasso, have you tried with MQA files despite of tidal master?? I am saying this just because and as you have said iBasso doesn't unfold MQA, almost through Tidal.

I am waiting mine to be delivered and compare with my other two DACs as well but very exited to read your impressions.

Thanks again!!

You're welcome! The 3D sounding soundstage is normally a difference I'd expect between different headphones, I wasn't expecting to have this difference between different DAC/Amps. I don't think the Ztella specifically does anything to achieve this. The only thing I can think of is that it relays the 3D sound cues that exist in the original audio better.

Yes, the test I did was with MQA on the DC01 as well, because the mastering is different. It indeed doesn't unfold. MQA without unfolding usually is a higher frequency than 48Khz already though.I still need to compare using regular tracks and high resolution ones, maybe DSD as well.

Never thought I would be a fan of MQA tracks, it sounded like complete snake oil nonsense when I first heard about it. And I mostly believe in high frequency tracks because the DAC low pass filtering happens outside of hearing frequency.

Thanks for the impressions! Glad you find there are pros of the Ztella over the DC01. For me, however, the only pro is Ztella's form factor. In terms of audio quality, DC01 still triumphs for me, particularly wider sounstage, stronger/ deeper bass. Mebbe it has great synergy with Effect Audio Cleopatra Octa cables and Noble Audio Encore customs per my setup...

At the end of the day, audio quality is subjective. As long as one is happy, then so be it!

It could very well be a synergy thing, with the **** in this case. And I still need to compare with non-MQA tracks. Subjectivity is indeed a thing as well, people could be overly sensitive to higher frequencies or unable to hear bass well (way too much bass is not enough for my wife).

@peter123 Good to hear you are enjoying the Ztella!

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #108 of 393
you guys really hyped the Ztella until Zorloo products are sold out across the board lmao

Jan 2, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #110 of 393
Last edited:
Jan 3, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #111 of 393
You're welcome! The 3D sounding soundstage is normally a difference I'd expect between different headphones, I wasn't expecting to have this difference between different DAC/Amps. I don't think the Ztella specifically does anything to achieve this. The only thing I can think of is that it relays the 3D sound cues that exist in the original audio better.

Yes, the test I did was with MQA on the DC01 as well, because the mastering is different. It indeed doesn't unfold. MQA without unfolding usually is a higher frequency than 48Khz already though.I still need to compare using regular tracks and high resolution ones, maybe DSD as well.

Never thought I would be a fan of MQA tracks, it sounded like complete snake oil nonsense when I first heard about it. And I mostly believe in high frequency tracks because the DAC low pass filtering happens outside of hearing frequency.

It could very well be a synergy thing, with the **** in this case. And I still need to compare with non-MQA tracks. Subjectivity is indeed a thing as well, people could be overly sensitive to higher frequencies or unable to hear bass well (way too much bass is not enough for my wife).

@peter123 Good to hear you are enjoying the Ztella!

I get the 3d Soundstage from playing my regular Flac files using UAPP as well.

Jan 3, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #113 of 393
I mentioned that soundstage thing when I first listened to my Ztella.

It's why the stereo mixes of old Sinatra are now listenable with my Blons. Could be a diblerate tweaking of mid vs side channels timing or something. Whatever it is it's extremely engaging.

Jan 3, 2020 at 7:30 AM Post #114 of 393
The only downside till now is that auto impedance detection thing.
If you have low Z headphones that are more difficult to drive you can't have all the juice up to 2V as it is auto adjusted to 1V out.
Is there any way to bypass this and have the 2V out all the time?

The B&O hifi plus module for the LG G5 uses the same thing and it's possible to trigg more power from it by connecting a empty (extension) cable to it first and then connect the headphones, might be worth a shot....

Jan 3, 2020 at 6:16 PM Post #117 of 393
I get the 3d Soundstage from playing my regular Flac files using UAPP as well.

I mentioned that soundstage thing when I first listened to my Ztella.

It's why the stereo mixes of old Sinatra are now listenable with my Blons. Could be a diblerate tweaking of mid vs side channels timing or something. Whatever it is it's extremely engaging.

I'm listening to someone talking on YouTube right now and it also sounds more around me than in my head. But it also sounds really natural, not like some effect.

Jan 3, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #118 of 393
I'm listening to someone talking on YouTube right now and it also sounds more around me than in my head. But it also sounds really natural, not like some effect.
If you have access to an EQ plugin that does mid and side independently, try turning up the side channels and see if you think the effect is similar.

Jan 3, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #119 of 393
If you have access to an EQ plugin that does mid and side independently, try turning up the side channels and see if you think the effect is similar.

I'd have to look into that, I do have a number of VST effects. Sounds like an interesting experiment.

Jan 3, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #120 of 393
I'd have to look into that, I do have a number of VST effects. Sounds like an interesting experiment.

UAPP can do it with the Parameteic eq... If you have that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back