Zorloo Ztella USB C DAC impressions thread
Jan 7, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #137 of 393
Just got my MQA version. To my untrained ears it sounds fantastic, especially with MQA tracks! Tested with the Drop JVC FDX1.

Jan 7, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #139 of 393
Hey guys , have you updated the firmware?
It sounds even better with fuller sound.
Wait, what?

Oh right, Windows only. Urgh.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #140 of 393
I upgraded but didn't notice any change at the time.

Jan 7, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #142 of 393
Before the upgrade i could hear sometimes a metallic and harsh tone - sound with some tracks.
Now it is gone.

Interesting, sounds like it might have had some clipping issues before.

Jan 7, 2020 at 3:47 PM Post #144 of 393
Been using MQA version with Tidal for past few weeks with my Noble K10U and iPhone and it's been great. Bought another one so I can have one at both Home/Work.

Just bought the Atom Pro on Drop for $63 ($53 for first time user with referral. Cheaper than the $82 I paid for the Ztella with the 30% coupon or the $69 Kickstarter price. Hopefully they perform as well since it's the same chip. Slightly better portability since there is a lightning version so I don't have to use an adapter.

Jan 7, 2020 at 4:28 PM Post #145 of 393
I'm really impressed of the performance from the Ztella so far. Not only does it sound fantastic but it is also quite powerful (actually very powerful considering its size). Even my hardest to drive headphones (HE560 and modded T50rp) can be powered to decent volume levels with it. It's actually able to get them to even slightly too high volume for me but the last volume step increases the sound a lot and it does sound as it is struggling a bit when it does this. At the same time it has completely silent background (no hiss) with easy to drive IEM's.

As for the sound I find it to be quite similar to two of my all time favorite (when it comes to sound signature) budget devices, the Cubilux HC-1 and SMSL IQ.

For me it's definitely "so far so good" with it and I'm really looking forward to get better acquainted with it.

Jan 7, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #146 of 393
For the new Atom Pro, not sure how good it is but I would guess about the same as the Ztella as its using the same sabre chip. However, the Ztella with the lightning adapter is a good fit for me, I can use it both on iPhone and PC. Atom has specific lightning and USB-C versions.

Jan 8, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #147 of 393
Yes it can be identified as clipping because with different players (different internal gain)
was a different behaviour regarding the harsh tone.

Good thing they fixed that, I don't remember seeing any mention of it in the change log.

Jan 8, 2020 at 6:37 AM Post #148 of 393
Well I don't know what they have fixed but this thing sounds great!
I am listening right now with default Google play and Final B3.
OK I am amazed at how much the technology is progressing.
So fantastic sound from a tiny device.
It is very slightly V shaped just to be enjoyable with everything.
Great clarity and detail , separation and soundstage are very good.
I am listening to symphonic music without a hint of congestion.
And dynamics are out for this world and sound is full bodied and very easy going.
I am listening for hours without a hint of fatigue.
Well seriously now , I am thinking of selling everything and be done with it!!!

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #149 of 393
ok so i compared back to back with my iBasso DX220, with the Drop JVC HA-FDX1. While it isn't quite as good as the DX220, its really close, imaging and details are just that little bit better on the DX220.

Jan 8, 2020 at 5:43 PM Post #150 of 393
Well I don't know what they have fixed but this thing sounds great!
I am listening right now with default Google play and Final B3.
OK I am amazed at how much the technology is progressing.
So fantastic sound from a tiny device.
It is very slightly V shaped just to be enjoyable with everything.
Great clarity and detail , separation and soundstage are very good.
I am listening to symphonic music without a hint of congestion.
And dynamics are out for this world and sound is full bodied and very easy going.
I am listening for hours without a hint of fatigue.
Well seriously now , I am thinking of selling everything and be done with it!!!

Same, small size used to mean bad audio quality, it is hard to believe that a tiny plug contains a good sound card. It is indeed easy and addictive to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back