Zorloo Ztella USB C DAC impressions thread
Jan 1, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #91 of 393
Well, imo any wording however crazy it must be from someone that's actually heard the products they're talking about is of a lot more value than that of someone just guessing.

Actually I'm really tired of people making statements about things they haven't even heard (it's even a paragraph about this in the posting guidelines for this forum but I'd guess nobody cares) just to make a post. Or even worse, quoting other people's opinions, please use your own opinions or say nothing. What makes any other people's opinions more valuable than the ones you're questioning? It's just totally meaningless and ridiculous....

You make some good points although I think you exagerate a bit. Anways, I try not do this in the future :)

Jan 1, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #93 of 393
Jan 1, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #94 of 393
Both of you made very good "points" :p

But to be honest, is a reason to believe the measurements from ASR ate wrong?

Aside from that, I know that measurements are not everything and I am pretty sure most people know that either.

Measurements of one device are largely irrelevant for making a comparison between two devices. This is where your logic fails. It is you who are saying that you don't believe what others say.

Jan 1, 2020 at 12:23 PM Post #96 of 393
Here are some first comparison impressions between the Ztella and the DC01, using my **** earphones. This is using MQA tracks, with some random tracks from the Tidal MQA party playlist. Keep in mind that this means the DC01 is unable to unfold the tracks to higher playback frequencies and the Ztella will also prepare the audio for better digital to analog conversion.

The most apparent difference is that the soundstage of the Ztella is holophonic sounding, like a circle, while that of the DC01 is like a straight line from left to right.
The Ztella has stronger/deeper sub-bass, while the DC01 seems to have a bit stronger regular bass. Both have good attack.
Treble on the DC01 is a bit more bright and harsh, vocals are more forward, which might also be because of its shallow soundstage (it is wide though).
The Ztella has a bit better instrument separation and a fuller, sweeter sounding spectrum. Detail is better on the Ztella.Though interestingly a trumpet sound on Coming out by Diana Ross was more full/warm and textured sounding.

Comparing the two was a bit of a hassle, as UAPP can't handle swapping DACs and has to be restarted every time. I used a FiiO adapter to connect the balanced earphone cable to the single-ended connector of the Ztella.

Both DAC/Amp cables have good audio quality. I think what makes the Ztella so addictive to listen to is its 3D sounding soundstage, coupled with the smooth treble and strong sub-bass.
I can recommend the Ztella, the combination of a very small for factor, not high power consumption, audio quality and features is really good.
As for the DC01, it can have some background hiss with certain ear/headphones and is a bit larger, still really good, a lot cheaper and with a balanced output.

Jan 1, 2020 at 1:58 PM Post #98 of 393
Jan 1, 2020 at 10:40 PM Post #99 of 393
Here are some first comparison impressions between the Ztella and the DC01, using my **** earphones. This is using MQA tracks, with some random tracks from the Tidal MQA party playlist. Keep in mind that this means the DC01 is unable to unfold the tracks to higher playback frequencies and the Ztella will also prepare the audio for better digital to analog conversion.

The most apparent difference is that the soundstage of the Ztella is holophonic sounding, like a circle, while that of the DC01 is like a straight line from left to right.
The Ztella has stronger/deeper sub-bass, while the DC01 seems to have a bit stronger regular bass. Both have good attack.
Treble on the DC01 is a bit more bright and harsh, vocals are more forward, which might also be because of its shallow soundstage (it is wide though).
The Ztella has a bit better instrument separation and a fuller, sweeter sounding spectrum. Detail is better on the Ztella.Though interestingly a trumpet sound on Coming out by Diana Ross was more full/warm and textured sounding.

Comparing the two was a bit of a hassle, as UAPP can't handle swapping DACs and has to be restarted every time. I used a FiiO adapter to connect the balanced earphone cable to the single-ended connector of the Ztella.

Both DAC/Amp cables have good audio quality. I think what makes the Ztella so addictive to listen to is its 3D sounding soundstage, coupled with the smooth treble and strong sub-bass.
I can recommend the Ztella, the combination of a very small for factor, not high power consumption, audio quality and features is really good.
As for the DC01, it can have some background hiss with certain ear/headphones and is a bit larger, still really good, a lot cheaper and with a balanced output.

Thanks for your impression. This is what should be happening here lol

Maybe your impression about "3D sound" is how the DAC decodes the track. I don't think this little think can do anything more than other kind of DAC... I believe the good review and comparison should be Ztella MQA vs Dragonfly red, black and Cobalt, and any LG phone with quad ESS DAC.

Regarding your iBasso, have you tried with MQA files despite of tidal master?? I am saying this just because and as you have said iBasso doesn't unfold MQA, almost through Tidal.

I am waiting mine to be delivered and compare with my other two DACs as well but very exited to read your impressions.

Thanks again!!

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #100 of 393
Finally:
20200102_132102.jpg

First impressions are extremely positive :wink:

Jan 2, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #101 of 393

Thanks for the impressions! Glad you find there are pros of the Ztella over the DC01. For me, however, the only pro is Ztella's form factor. In terms of audio quality, DC01 still triumphs for me, particularly wider sounstage, stronger/ deeper bass. Mebbe it has great synergy with Effect Audio Cleopatra Octa cables and Noble Audio Encore customs per my setup...

At the end of the day, audio quality is subjective. As long as one is happy, then so be it!

Jan 2, 2020 at 9:51 AM Post #103 of 393
Thanks for the impressions! Glad you find there are pros of the Ztella over the DC01. For me, however, the only pro is Ztella's form factor. In terms of audio quality, DC01 still triumphs for me, particularly wider sounstage, stronger/ deeper bass. Mebbe it has great synergy with Effect Audio Cleopatra Octa cables and Noble Audio Encore customs per my setup...

At the end of the day, audio quality is subjective. As long as one is happy, then so be it!

May I know what headphone you pair it with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back