ZMF Verite Open
Jan 5, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #7,246 of 9,515
Thank you, both! I find the Empy a little too sharp in the 10K+ region, and definitely prefer the bass of the VC or LCD-4, so think I’ll take the plunge. Got my Empy for full price also, and I think maybe they’re not worth 3K when a VO costs the same or less.

Now just hoping I can snag a Stabilized set whenever those are available.

Jan 5, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #7,249 of 9,515
Hi all -

I’ve been thinking of parting with my Empyrean and getting a VO instead. I love my VC, so kind of wanted to have them as a set.

Does anyone have experience on how the VO compares to the Empyrean? And to the VC?

Also, any thoughts on when the next Stabilized or LTD Wood drop would be? Wondering if it’s worth waiting for those or just getting a stock VO.

Thanks!
I have both a VO and Empyrean and I'm quite fond of them both. One thing I've found about the Empyrean is that despite it being super easy to drive, it's very amp/dac dependent. I think this is one of the reasons that it's so hit and miss with people. The Empy sounds better out of my DX200 w/amp4 than my main dac and amps. System synergy is as always, very underrated.

With all that being said, with the VO you're getting a handcrafted heirloom piece that looks good and sounds good. You've also got a bazillion different pad options and the great customer service of ZMF. So if I had to choose one, the VO or VC are way to go IMO.

Jan 5, 2022 at 3:13 PM Post #7,250 of 9,515
Empyrean is that despite it being super easy to drive, it's very amp/dac dependent. I think this is one of the reasons that it's so hit and miss with people.
Fully agree. Meze scales up with good gear. I found them better sounding with tubes (Ayon ha 3). While i really liked them i think VO are better overall especially in sound texture, details and bas control while still extremly musical like Meze.

Jan 5, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #7,251 of 9,515
VC Pairing Puzzle:

So, I got a pair of Monkeypod VCs during the November event. I'm coming from a Ether 2 driving off a SMSL m400 and a cap modded Liquid Platinum (with gold lion 6922s). That setup was super warm, rich and lovely. When I plugged the VC in it was surprisingly bright and neutral. I've been burning them in a lot and waiting to see if the bass comes up and the upper-mid area comes down. They have improved from the start, but the signature sound doesn't seem to have blossomed. I'm using the stock solid Auteur pads. I have a pair of Eikon solids coming. Anyway, all this to ask if anyone had a similar experience? I know my amp impedance may be the primary issue, but I was hoping to hear some of that VC warmth I've read about without having to swap amps / add to my cluttered desk. I'm a Tidal MQA person so EQ is sort of a pain in the butt. I've tried the EQ in Apple Music and it definitely sounds much better, but I'd love to achieve warmth and less shout without going down that road. Maybe I'm also just not far enough along my burn-in journey...

Oh, and secondary question: VC owners who are using the Eikon or Auteur suede pads - do they subtract the warmth/bass much? Wondering if that would bring the sharpness in the upper-mid area more in my preference zone. I like a laid back sound with a lot of warmth in the low end.

Jan 5, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #7,252 of 9,515
Some thoughts on my nearly 3 year old Silk & new Blackwood VO out of the TT2, both with Universe suede pads. Keep in mind I'm not great at describing sound nor hearing slight difference. Initially they sounded nearly the same with a bit more harshness in the treble on the new. Now that the Blackwood are burned in, there are more obvious differences. The first being that the Blackwood sounds a little louder and more in your face, closer to the immediacy I get with my VC. Maybe the Blackwood mids are a tad less recessed and maybe a bit more treble on the Silk. The Silk pads are older while the Blackwood pads are new, but I'd think that would mean the older pads compress more and if anything I'd expect them to be louder if the ear gets closer to the drivers, but soundwise it's the opposite.

The TT2 is great for comparing, because it drives 2 at once so it's much more quick to swap than having to also unplug and replug the cable. The mids and overall recession differences seem very track dependent with many tracks very difficult to tell any difference. I was not volume matching other than slightly turning down the volume on the Blackwood since it came across as louder. Using an iPhone dB meter the Blackwood was consistently 1-3 dB louder. Who knows if these differences are even the wood, as they could be minor unit variation, difference in age of the driver and pads, different cable (though I'm not one who has good enough sound memory to detect a difference in cables given the time it takes to replace them). Overall I do like the sound of the Blackwood better (though that could really just be the slight volume difference) but the 150g weight difference is very obvious. So I can't really conclude much other than confirming Zach's repeated assertion that one should choose woods based on aesthetics. They both sound pretty incredible.

Jan 5, 2022 at 5:03 PM Post #7,253 of 9,515
System synergy is as always, very underrated.

Agreed. This is something I've been thinking about lately. Camphor Burl VO on order from ZMF. This will be the first addition to my headphone collection in some time...

Got the tube amp covered using an older but well maintained OTL-Ear Max Pro. Earlier this fall replaced tubes with NOS: Brimar 6060 12AT7, and a pair of Amperex PQ 6922's. Somewhere around a few hundred hours on the tubes and they get on well with HD600.

Source: apple music>camera connection kit>E30 DAC. Yea, I know, at least it's bit perfect. Anyway, been reading up on DACs I can throw into this situation and would be interested hearing about DACs people are using with VO + OTL to encourage system synergy?

Jeremy

Jan 5, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #7,254 of 9,515
would be interested hearing about DACs people are using with VO + OTL to encourage system synergy?
I am using my Verite Open with Sinusaudio dual mono 6n13s (Polish OTL amp) and MHDT Orchid DAC. MHDT is R2R NOS tube dac with amazing musicality. I really reccomend it to everyone. This setup is extremly analog, instruments are full while still detailed and not muddy at all. Most would say this sound is not neutral, but it is so beautiful that i do not care:wink:

I have also Neko d100 DAC, but i have not tried it much yet.

I really enjoy VO with OTL amps. The sound is very full and immediate.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #7,255 of 9,515
Maybe I'm also just not far enough along my burn-in journey...
From my experience related to VO they need significant time to burn in, 50 hours at least. Also pads may be an issue, i am using stock pads and do not even think of changing them.

Amp synergy may be another factor.

Why don't You look at the pads description at the ZMF's website as well.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #7,257 of 9,515
I have both a VO and Empyrean and I'm quite fond of them both. One thing I've found about the Empyrean is that despite it being super easy to drive, it's very amp/dac dependent. I think this is one of the reasons that it's so hit and miss with people. The Empy sounds better out of my DX200 w/amp4 than my main dac and amps. System synergy is as always, very underrated.

With all that being said, with the VO you're getting a handcrafted heirloom piece that looks good and sounds good. You've also got a bazillion different pad options and the great customer service of ZMF. So if I had to choose one, the VO or VC are way to go IMO.
But it must also be said that the design of the Empyrean set a whole new standard in headphone design--in audio design, period. That screens in particular are quite amazing.

Antonio had blown up/large photos of screens in the booth at CanJam 2 years running--those photos made it pretty clear how high level this headphone's design really is (architectural design).

Jan 5, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #7,258 of 9,515
But it must also be said that the design of the Empyrean set a whole new standard in headphone design--in audio design, period. That screens in particular are quite amazing.

Antonio had blown up/large photos of screens in the booth at CanJam 2 years running--those photos made it pretty clear how high level this headphone's design really is (architectural design).
Meze's design is unique. I owned them almost a year and could not agree more. But sound is also important:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back