ZMF Verite Open
Jan 7, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #7,276 of 9,535
I would be curious how the Raytheon changes things up... The EMP came w/GE/Tesla combo, tried some cheap Russians long time ago--they were accurate but on the thin side.
Definitely look forward to hearing your thoughts on your system once the dust settles with cable selection.
It will take a month or so for Raytheon to be delivered from US to Poland unfortunately..

I only need to finalise power cables selection. I will probably go for local Polish producer, just tried one cable and it is awesome. As for other cables i use Cardas, including Cardas clear reflection, which are very good.

Jan 7, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #7,278 of 9,535
Here it is evidently done with a transistor, op amp or CCS circuit.

CCS circuit

Anyone getting this amp should definitely go for the stepped attenuator, and owners might consider getting this change done by the manufacturer, it is well worth it.

I went for Goldpoint stepped attenuator and some other upgrades. Lundahl power transformer, Jupiter Copper capacitors, Kiwame resistors, Vishay RN55/60 resistors

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #7,279 of 9,535
Curious what other tube amps you guys like (if I decide to upgrade, it would be great to research and read up on specs).
DNA Starlett is sublime. Runs on cheap tubes and a great match for the verite. I seem to recall zmf using the stratus on some shows as well. Only downside is the wait time. If you are deterred by the wait times for DNA and is willing to spend more you can consider the EC Studio B which have a drier tone and a much wider stage.

Jan 7, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #7,280 of 9,535
DNA Starlett is sublime. Runs on cheap tubes and a great match for the verite. I seem to recall zmf using the stratus on some shows as well. Only downside is the wait time. If you are deterred by the wait times for DNA and is willing to spend more you can consider the EC Studio B which have a drier tone and a much wider stage.
DNA and ZMF are a winning combo.

Jan 7, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #7,281 of 9,535
Very interesting amp.
"Supercharging" the valve almost certainly means giving it an active load; I do this a lot using a pentode, it makes a great single stage preamp. Here it is evidently done with a transistor, op amp or CCS circuit. They have done well to get the output impedance low enough. Personally I have reservations about the 6080 as it has very low gain, and gain can reduce distortion in an output buffer. So to get the low output impedance without such an output buffer is likely a good thing.
I do very much like that it has no electrolytic caps in the power supply and signal path! But there is one other OTL amp that does this (shown above). :wink:
I would not like to comment on the rectifier without hearing it, but I know that solid state can have its virtues if well engineered, and they seem to have done a very good job here of damping out the issues with solid state rectifiers. They know what they are doing.
Looks like a very fine amp to me (and I don't say that very often). Only let down by the Alps blue pot which, in spite of the name, is not good. Anyone getting this amp should definitely go for the stepped attenuator, and owners might consider getting this change done by the manufacturer, it is well worth it.
@A2029 definitely knows his stuff! There's also an upcoming Blue Halo+ which includes an additional output mode using up to 6x 6080/6bx7 style tubes: https://1101audio.com/BlueHalo+OTL.html This is what I am currently waiting for! I opted for the 41 step Acoustic Dimensions attenuator in my build.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #7,282 of 9,535
Jan 7, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #7,283 of 9,535
Alps black
Would You reccomed black alps or stepped attenuator if You were to choose?
Alps black are good (I used one many years ago), but out of production. The stepped attenuators from the far east, on ebay, with Dale resistors, are good sounding, better than Alps black if my memory is good, and I definitely recommend these over even the Alps black.
TKD volume controls are very good, they are unusual with resistors inside, at a guess about half way between a stepped attenuator and a good pot like Alps black.
The best attenuators from the far east are the ladder type. Not expensive, very good value indeed. They are a bit tight and feel clunky, but so what if the sound is good. I have never used Khozmo but I expect they are good.
I have tried a transformer volume control which was fairly good, but I changed to an attenuator and preferred it, more transparent; but many, many people love TVCs so don't rely on my experience here.
In my speaker system I need a degree of fine balance and stepped attenuators do not give this. I use dual mono controls as I found (from my Assemblage kit preamp) that a normal balance control reduces the sound quality significantly. I have tried several mono pots and eventually settled on cermet pots, using only the lower part of the pot as a variable resistor, with a fixed carbon film resistor above it as the upper part of the potential divider. The cermet is highly transparent, much more so than the usual carbon or plastic track, and the carbon film resistor tames it down a fraction ... this is the only continuously variable volume control I have found that comes close to the stepped attenuator (perhaps equals it).

Jan 7, 2022 at 9:50 PM Post #7,284 of 9,535
Anyone here into EQ? Would love to hear your settings
This profile is very nuanced, designed to tweak the frequency response ever-so-slightly without totally straying from the house sound.

Attachments

• Verite EQ profile.PNG
    Verite EQ profile.PNG
    16 KB · Views: 0
Jan 8, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #7,285 of 9,535
OK, in Club Verite as of today! The mail man just dropped my pair of Camphor Burl VO's!!:gs1000smile:

TyUftP7h.jpg

Just warmed up the Bottlehead Crack Speedy and listening to some prog rock with the suede universe pads. I've also got suede Be2 and lambskin Verite pads to test drive at some point. Quick A/B with my Teak Auteur tells me the VO has more of everything. The bass slam is impressive, although on-line reviewers state they were hoping for more slam. I think these headphones are quite extended in the lows and kick drums provide a good deal of slam. Compared to my Auteur there is WAAAAAAY more low end, in a good way. Soundstage seems larger, but nowhere near HD800 large. Pretty nice so far, so I'll be taking a good amount of time, likely weeks or more, to get the full impression. So far, I'd say they have some kickassitude!

Jan 8, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #7,286 of 9,535
the zmf verite headphones are amazing looking and the reviews have been winning me over - a life-time warranty on drivers is pretty nice as well. i might purchase one this year. i would get the open. not really into closed headphones.

Jan 8, 2022 at 6:46 PM Post #7,287 of 9,535
OK, in Club Verite as of today! The mail man just dropped my pair of Camphor Burl VO's!!:gs1000smile:

TyUftP7h.jpg

Just warmed up the Bottlehead Crack Speedy and listening to some prog rock with the suede universe pads. I've also got suede Be2 and lambskin Verite pads to test drive at some point. Quick A/B with my Teak Auteur tells me the VO has more of everything. The bass slam is impressive, although on-line reviewers state they were hoping for more slam. I think these headphones are quite extended in the lows and kick drums provide a good deal of slam. Compared to my Auteur there is WAAAAAAY more low end, in a good way. Soundstage seems larger, but nowhere near HD800 large. Pretty nice so far, so I'll be taking a good amount of time, likely weeks or more, to get the full impression. So far, I'd say they have some kickassitude!
Nice and congrats. You may find that the soundstage in the VO will open a bit more after you logged some hours on them.
Enjoy!

Jan 8, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #7,288 of 9,535
Nice and congrats. You may find that the soundstage in the VO will open a bit more after you logged some hours on them.
Enjoy!
Good to know. Do you mean my ears will adapt over time or are you referring to burn-in? I ask because these are about a year old and I’m assuming the previous owner logged some hours, but maybe not.

Jan 8, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #7,289 of 9,535
No, just meant break in but it seems yours are already.

Jan 9, 2022 at 12:59 AM Post #7,290 of 9,535
Just warmed up the Bottlehead Crack Speedy and listening to some prog rock with the suede universe pads. I've also got suede Be2 and lambskin Verite pads to test drive at some point.
Congrats on your purchase. These sounds great with prog rock and have great low end presence. Sound vary noticeably depending on the pads so do experiment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back