ZMF Verite Open
Jan 11, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #7,306 of 9,535
does anyone think the auteur is better than the verite?

Had Aeolus and own Verite, I'd put Auteur as the least favourite ZMF product (Least enjoyable for my music and my set up, but nonetheless still a nice headphone overall). However, I can fully understand for people who think the opposite.

Jan 11, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #7,307 of 9,535
The question really is "Better for what?" There are definitely some that prefer the tonality or the frequency response of the Auteur, but each has their own strengths and "personalities" if you will. Then there's the matter of the chain you'll be playing music on, not to mention the type of music you'll be playing. Different synergies, probably different preferences play a huge part here as well. It all depends upon what you're after.

Jan 11, 2022 at 2:09 PM Post #7,308 of 9,535
Tough question to answer and most guys have way more experience than I do. However, I own both the VO and Auteur and I think the staging, detail, and bass extension is greater/more on the Verite Open, but the natural EQ of the Auteur is more to my liking (my opinion, mind you). I think the VO so far, for me, has scooped mids, and a bit too much low end and not quite enough high end without EQ. Could be the pads or it could be that I'm an outlier. Get yourself to a meet up and see if you can hear with your own ears. YMMV.

Jan 11, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #7,309 of 9,535
Tough question to answer and most guys have way more experience than I do. However, I own both the VO and Auteur and I think the staging, detail, and bass extension is greater/more on the Verite Open, but the natural EQ of the Auteur is more to my liking (my opinion, mind you). I think the VO so far, for me, has scooped mids, and a bit too much low end and not quite enough high end without EQ. Could be the pads or it could be that I'm an outlier. Get yourself to a meet up and see if you can hear with your own ears. YMMV.
is it a mindblowing difference, like will i be floored by the verite open since i love the auteur already? or will it be a small noticeable difference?

Jan 11, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #7,310 of 9,535
is it a mindblowing difference, like will i be floored by the verite open since i love the auteur already? or will it be a small noticeable difference?
I've only had my Verite Open for less than a week, so it's likely not proper to draw conclusions just yet. I really need to give these a few weeks and get used to the various pads that I bought, as well. That being said, I'm definitely not blown away by the VO. I am not floored and the reviewers that I viewed/read seemed exponentially more impressed that I am so far. To me, it's a small and noticeable difference. Maybe it will take me a bit of time to really warm up to them, but I like them OK so far. When I A/B with the Auteur, there is a difference and the VO are indeed "better at everything." But I'm not having the zen-like, gates of Heaven, angels singing, out of body experience that others on youtube seemed to experience, LOL.

Jan 11, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #7,311 of 9,535
I've only had my Verite Open for less than a week, so it's likely not proper to draw conclusions just yet. I really need to give these a few weeks and get used to the various pads that I bought, as well. That being said, I'm definitely not blown away by the VO. I am not floored and the reviewers that I viewed/read seemed exponentially more impressed that I am so far. To me, it's a small and noticeable difference. Maybe it will take me a bit of time to really warm up to them, but I like them OK so far. When I A/B with the Auteur, there is a difference and the VO are indeed "better at everything." But I'm not having the zen-like, gates of Heaven, angels singing, out of body experience that others on youtube seemed to experience, LOL.
I owned VO then sold them, a lot of folks here prefer Auteur over VO and nothing wrong with that. It is very subjective, difference folks difference strokes. Listen by your ears not by opinions.

Jan 11, 2022 at 2:49 PM Post #7,314 of 9,535
I owned VO then sold them, a lot of folks here prefer Auteur over VO and nothing wrong with that. It is very subjective, difference folks difference strokes. Listen by your ears not by opinions.
Yeah, I'm going to give these VO some time, but if I don't warm up to them, I'll move them and stick to my Auteur, which I love. Cool to see another FFX Co. member here!

Jan 11, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #7,315 of 9,535
Guys, I must confess- I switched pads this afternoon, removing the suede perf universe and putting on the suede perf Be2. Ok, WORLD of difference. Much more even and attenuated lows and thus, the mids and highs are more prominent. Now they are reminding me of the Utopia (this is a good thing). More impressions to follow. Wait…Do I hear angels singing?

Jan 11, 2022 at 8:25 PM Post #7,316 of 9,535
imo Auteur more mid focused HP, great for vocals.... Verite is more rounded and much richer presentation..... better dynamics and details

Jan 11, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #7,317 of 9,535
My feeling is that once you get into Auteur level headphones, for me anyway, things don't really blow me away. I love them both and get annoyed when reviewers go over the top and gush about much of anything. I think one gets less of that in written vs. video reviews. I'd think if I hadn't already spent time with some amazing headphones before owning any ZMF, then yes, I would probably be blown away by any and all of them.

What started me on this journey (which has become completely irrational at this point, lol) was experiencing out of my head soundstage, precise imaging, and amazing detail coming out of songs I'd heard repeatedly for decades. After that everything sorta become variations on those themes and a certain level of all of those things I've come to expect at such prices. For me to be blown away by a headphone I think it would have to have some dramatic leap in those or some other unknown factors and I doubt that's possible without going into price levels 50-200% above that of the Verite. Fortunately that doesn't make my enjoyment of them any less, as my main focus now is just experiencing those differences. Now that my headphone collection has been pretty stable for awhile now, I'm playing more with tube and pad rolling to keep hearing my music collection presented in different ways. It's kind of amazing how many ways headphones/DACs/amps/tubes/pads can present the same music. That experience of constant variety is what I love most about the hobby.

Jan 12, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #7,318 of 9,535
this is the staging effect we're talking about?
No. Taking the hd800 as comparison. The hd800 to me sounds extremely wide and airy but can feel a bit distant and diffuse and even thin in comparison at times. The verite doesn't come close in terms of stage size but does seem to fill the space more thus doesn't sound nearly as diffuse. Not sure if that makes any sense but at least that's how it sounds like to me. I personally don't get much of a soundstage off headphones so that is not the main selling point for me.

Jan 12, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #7,319 of 9,535
My feeling is that once you get into Auteur level headphones, for me anyway, things don't really blow me away. I love them both and get annoyed when reviewers go over the top and gush about much of anything. I think one gets less of that in written vs. video reviews. I'd think if I hadn't already spent time with some amazing headphones before owning any ZMF, then yes, I would probably be blown away by any and all of them.

What started me on this journey (which has become completely irrational at this point, lol) was experiencing out of my head soundstage, precise imaging, and amazing detail coming out of songs I'd heard repeatedly for decades. After that everything sorta become variations on those themes and a certain level of all of those things I've come to expect at such prices. For me to be blown away by a headphone I think it would have to have some dramatic leap in those or some other unknown factors and I doubt that's possible without going into price levels 50-200% above that of the Verite. Fortunately that doesn't make my enjoyment of them any less, as my main focus now is just experiencing those differences. Now that my headphone collection has been pretty stable for awhile now, I'm playing more with tube and pad rolling to keep hearing my music collection presented in different ways. It's kind of amazing how many ways headphones/DACs/amps/tubes/pads can present the same music. That experience of constant variety is what I love most about the hobby.
This is brilliant. I never thought of it that way. Very wise perspective and you're right. When one has experienced and gotten used to TOTL things in life, the incremental change or additional quality may be marginal. While notable, the difference may not be "wow." Maybe if I went from Apple ear buds to Verite, that would be the mind-blown experience, but from Auteur to VO is more an incremental shift or a marginal step up.

Jan 12, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #7,320 of 9,535
Guys, I must confess- I switched pads this afternoon, removing the suede perf universe and putting on the suede perf Be2. Ok, WORLD of difference. Much more even and attenuated lows and thus, the mids and highs are more prominent. Now they are reminding me of the Utopia (this is a good thing). More impressions to follow. Wait…Do I hear angels singing?
Do you have any non-suede pads? For the most part, I thought the suede pads strayed too far from the VO's core sound and technical abilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back