ZMF Verite Open
Jan 2, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #7,217 of 9,535
Hello, so meaning to say harder the wood, larger the sound stage ?
Lighter woods have more reverb and hence a hall like effect as compared to high density woods which will sound more direct and fast. Very subtle though. Also the wood has more say on Verite closed as compared to open

Jan 2, 2022 at 10:14 AM Post #7,218 of 9,535
Lighter woods have more reverb and hence a hall like effect as compared to high density woods which will sound more direct and fast. Very subtle though. Also the wood has more say on Verite closed as compared to open
Yes, that I know in general and in the past as well. But referring to sound stage since he stated expand sound stage. I can imagine as well VC has more effect on wood than VO. Very interesting...

Jan 2, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #7,219 of 9,535
Hello, so meaning to say harder the wood, larger the sound stage ?

From what I heard, yes. Of course the closer density, the closer the gap as well. For instance Camphor Burl has much more similar presentation to African Blackwood compared to Silkwood. I don't think I can differentiate the Silkwood and Sapele VO as well, they sound really similar.

Actually, density is not the only factor why wood make difference in sound, Zach wrote here before about pore size as well. I don't know if any other factors may involved too.

Anyway, I'm officially back with ZMF family, just acquired Silkwood. At first my plan was selling Pheasantwood and change to Stabilize with a huge amount of patient. Apparently I can't live without ZMF, so need something to fill the gap.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #7,220 of 9,535
Do You use same cables and gear while comparing? In any case audio is very subjective.
It's definitely subjective.

Yes, my main tube amp is the Studio Six was designed to play four headphones simultaneously with all jacks receiving equal power. I don't have two of the exact same headphone cables though. I use both TOTL pure silver and pure copper cable from Norne Audio. With that I just changed cables and took a few notes for reference. I've done this exact fun experiment maybe four times now with the exact same results.

The purplehearts have a slight tilt in the mids to upper frequencies. There is a little more shimmer in the highs. Definitely not sibilance, but the highs are extended more.

The blackwoods have more regal bell like tones. Think huge bronze church bells. The overall tones are more harmonically complex. With a more full bodied sound. The bass is both tighter and further extended.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #7,221 of 9,535
Getting hard to writing down impression these days. People read it with plenty extra of salt, chilli and pepper.

I may refer different wood produce different character in sound , and some people read it as an extreme significant changing, while, of course, the differences are there but not much.

Jan 2, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #7,222 of 9,535
It's definitely subjective.

Yes, my main tube amp is the Studio Six was designed to play four headphones simultaneously with all jacks receiving equal power. I don't have two of the exact same headphone cables though. I use both TOTL pure silver and pure copper cable from Norne Audio. With that I just changed cables and took a few notes for reference. I've done this exact fun experiment maybe four times now with the exact same results.

The purplehearts have a slight tilt in the mids to upper frequencies. There is a little more shimmer in the highs. Definitely not sibilance, but the highs are extended more.

The blackwoods have more regal bell like tones. Think huge bronze church bells. The overall tones are more harmonically complex. With a more full bodied sound. The bass is both tighter and further extended.
Very interesting, thank You!

Jan 2, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #7,223 of 9,535
Could You compare sonic differences between different woods in Verite? Are those differences significant? I went for silkwood because it was the lightest, i would not probably accept blackwood due to the weight....
I opted for silkwood on the VO, my reasoning being that the lighter wood may add a bit of resonance and warmth to this speedy, high resolution driver. I don't know if my reasoning is/was correct--but I can tell you that this headphone sounds quite wonderful and I wouldn't change a thing about it (this is w/stock pads).

With the Aeolus my reasoning was the opposite--figuring that the hardest/densest wood available (blackwood) would add "zing" and bass punch to this somewhat warm, mid-bassy headphone. Again, I don't know if the reasoning was correct, but this Aeolus sounds very very good to me....

Jan 2, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #7,225 of 9,535
I think in the end it might be picking at nits, but of course that's exactly what audiophiles are known for. The differences might be discernible to many, but the type of wood isn't going to markedly change the character of the headphone itself. A touch of nuance to the sound, or the judicious use of spice maybe, but nothing that would change what makes a Verite...well, a Verite.

For some it is the last piece of a sonic puzzle to dial in the sound signature they're seeking, for others...maybe most it's more like an interesting subtle difference. It's easy to get lost in the "dragon chasing" as it were, but in the end a ZMF won't go from "Beautiful" to "Argh" with a wood change. I'm sure this is why Zach includes that caveat on the website, someone without the funds for the "better" wood isn't missing out & shouldn't really fret. But for those with the funds and the inclination, it can be worth every penny.

Just my 2 cents...probably worth far less.

Jan 2, 2022 at 2:40 PM Post #7,227 of 9,535
I opted for silkwood on the VO, my reasoning being that the lighter wood may add a bit of resonance and warmth to this speedy, high resolution driver. I don't know if my reasoning is/was correct--but I can tell you that this headphone sounds quite wonderful and I wouldn't change a thing about it (this is w/stock pads).
My only reason i bought VO in silkwood was that they were the lightest option. Funny i also have not changed anything, i even have not changed pads.

Jan 2, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #7,228 of 9,535

With the Aeolus my reasoning was the opposite--figuring that the hardest/densest wood available (blackwood) would add "zing" and bass punch to this somewhat warm, mid-bassy headphone. Again, I don't know if the reasoning was correct, but this Aeolus sounds very very good to me....
Hi imagine Sapele vs Silkwood VO !

Jan 2, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #7,229 of 9,535
Hi imagine Sapele vs Silkwood VO !
Finishing wise, Silkwood is more classy and elegant. Sapele is more attractive and shiny.

Aeolus Blackwood sound sublime!

From VC thread and I fully agree with his statement of course:

Hypothetically harder woods have a higher damping factor so the treble should be smoother, so if anything the softer woods like ash and MP with more decay would have slightly more "zing.". Not based on FR though, just based on the character of the sound and timbre.

It's hard to say though as usually when someone emails us it's not that our headphones or certain woods cause any issue, it's just that closed headphones in general are more the issue for certain listeners.

Last edited:
Jan 2, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #7,230 of 9,535
I don't know about the Verite Open and the Burgendy Pinot but.... with a good wiskey & and album from Fink... you cannot go wrong!!!
I had for a while the Focal Utopia and the Verite Open side by side, I enjoyed both and I thought that they were more alike than different but the Verite is so much more beautiful, lifetime warranty for the driver, better options - multiple pads and a much better price. So, the Utopia went back and the Verite stayed.
Wow, this is quite the endorsement. I'm currently back and forth between the VO and Utopia for my next purchase. You raise very good points that I had not considered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back