ZMF Verite Open
Dec 30, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #7,186 of 9,535
Are the stabilized sets always heavier than the non-stabilized sets? Any stabilized sets that actually made the headphones lighter?

Dec 31, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #7,192 of 9,535
I'm a current Auteur owner and was thinking about the Verite vs. Focal Utopia (apologies if this is already answered on this thread- still using the search function to read up).

Can you guys tell me if this description from headphones. com is accurate:

"The ZMF Vérité fall very close to the Utopia in terms of overall performance while delivering what is probably a more broadly agreeable tonality. Utopia can be a bit lean in the bass and are occasionally excitable in the treble vs. the more even response of the ZMF can. While Utopia remain the most overall technically-capable and resolving dynamic headphone I’ve heard, and just bests the ZMF cans in terms of micro-dynamics, raw detail retrieval and ultimate speed, Zach’s cans are within a point or two of matching them … while retaining a deliciously organic and rich signature and a notably more spacious, dimensional and vivid stage."

Dec 31, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #7,193 of 9,535
I'm a current Auteur owner and was thinking about the Verite vs. Focal Utopia (apologies if this is already answered on this thread- still using the search function to read up).

"The ZMF Vérité fall very close to the Utopia in terms of overall performance while delivering what is probably a more broadly agreeable tonality. Utopia can be a bit lean in the bass and are occasionally excitable in the treble vs. the more even response of the ZMF can. While Utopia remain the most overall technically-capable and resolving dynamic headphone I’ve heard, and just bests the ZMF cans in terms of micro-dynamics, raw detail retrieval and ultimate speed, Zach’s cans are within a point or two of matching them … while retaining a deliciously organic and rich signature and a notably more spacious, dimensional and vivid stage."
I would say that's a fair description as I own both but you get different tonalities on different amps and tube combinations if using tube amps so it canvary wildly depending on your setup. For example my Utopias sound best in my Euforia amp as it pairs very well with that amp but in my Elekit TU-8200 I favor my Verite Open more.
Both are in my rotation and I love switching them up from time to time for variety.

Dec 31, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #7,194 of 9,535
I would say that's a fair description as I own both but you get different tonalities on different amps and tube combinations if using tube amps so it canvary wildly depending on your setup. For example my Utopias sound best in my Euforia amp as it pairs very well with that amp but in my Elekit TU-8200 I favor my Verite Open more.
Both are in my rotation and I love switching them up from time to time for variety.
OK, this sounds good, thank you. Good to know you have both and can compare. I have a Bottlehead Crack, which I've heard does not pair well with the Utopia, but is glorious with my Auteur. If I got the Utopia, I'd either use the SS amp built into my RME ADI2 DAC or eventually get an amp that pairs well with the Utopia. On the other hand, the Verite sound like they'd be close to the Utopia and much more cost effective. Hmmmm. Tough decision.

Dec 31, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #7,195 of 9,535

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/zmf-verite.890270/post-14641432

Jan 1, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #7,196 of 9,535

I agree with that statement. However improtant to remember, real life satisfaction of listening experience is not only about micro detail and speed. There are things that I like in Verite more, such as more organic tonality, more forgiving through various types of recording quality, bigger soundstage image, fuller body for Vocal and ultimately, bigger grin on my face rather when I had Utopia.

Jan 1, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #7,197 of 9,535
However improtant to remember, real life satisfaction of listening experience is not only about micro detail and speed. There are things that I like in Verite more, such as more organic tonality, more forgiving through various types of recording quality, bigger soundstage image, fuller body for Vocal and ultimately, bigger grin on my face rather when I had Utopia.
Could not agree more. Music experience is hard to measure at the end. All technicalities should serve musicality, not the other way round. This is not always obvious, i personally realised that not that long ago:)

Jan 1, 2022 at 10:21 AM Post #7,198 of 9,535
I agree with that statement. However improtant to remember, real life satisfaction of listening experience is not only about micro detail and speed. There are things that I like in Verite more, such as more organic tonality, more forgiving through various types of recording quality, bigger soundstage image, fuller body for Vocal and ultimately, bigger grin on my face rather when I had Utopia.
Could not agree more. Music experience is hard to measure at the end. All technicalities should serve musicality, not the other way round. This is not always obvious, i personally realised that not that long ago:)
Thank you- I wish I could have both in front of me to A/B with my set up. I do recall liking the soundstage quite a bit on my old HD800, but those did not have the fuller body and warmth that my current Auteur had, so if I were after HD800-like soundstage (I know in reality nothing really does that, but I'm hoping for that ballpark) would the Verite fit this bill? I'm also concluding that my Auteur won't be redundant of the Verite, as I believe they are similar DNA, but different animals overall?

Jan 1, 2022 at 10:34 AM Post #7,199 of 9,535
To be fair, Blackwood is probably THE heaviest variant out there. :wink:
Ironwood may be heaviest. I can’t imagine something heavier then Ironwood

Jan 1, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #7,200 of 9,535
T
Thank you- I wish I could have both in front of me to A/B with my set up. I do recall liking the soundstage quite a bit on my old HD800, but those did not have the fuller body and warmth that my current Auteur had, so if I were after HD800-like soundstage (I know in reality nothing really does that, but I'm hoping for that ballpark) would the Verite fit this bill? I'm also concluding that my Auteur won't be redundant of the Verite, as I believe they are similar DNA, but different animals overall?
The Verite has a large soundstage but not really HD800 sized, but that's probably the only measure by which it has something over the Verite. I don't think the Verite & Auteur are redundant at all, but they do both have the ZMF house sound. I've never found myself wanting the Verite soundstage to be wider and less cohesive like the HD800, so I'd say it's in the ballpark without seeming unrealistic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back