ZMF Verite Open
Dec 15, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #7,157 of 9,535
I find it funny that I own 3 pairs of ZMF headphones and I personally do not the verite's at all. Everyone else loves them though, except me.

That is the advantage of a company selling multiple headphones with different signatures. You can choose the ones that suit your taste. Pretty sure it isn't possible to create a headphone that everyone will like.

Dec 15, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #7,159 of 9,535
Cycling though your headphone collection from time to time will make you appreciate the highlights of each individual headphone more.

Dec 15, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #7,160 of 9,535
You are not the only one and i also own 4 pairs of ZMF but sold the VO. Many of us are preferred Auteur and Aeolus over Verite

Cycling though your headphone collection from time to time will make you appreciate the highlights of each individual headphone more.

I agree with both of these statements! Loved the VO for the longest time, then at one point preferred the Aeolus, and now loving my Blackwood Auteur. I'm sure if I went back to the VO again I would love that as well (though the price difference has me sticking with the Auteur for now).

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #7,161 of 9,535
You guys are an obsessive group LOL just kidding, i am probably one of the few here that does not care too much about wood and finish, i just wanted to be part of the ZMF club and bought the desert ironwood VO, loving the sound and comfort. However, i find it amazing that Zach offers so many options and totally admire his craftsmanship.

Dec 20, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #7,162 of 9,535
I had the Aeolus, VC and VO all at the same time for at least 6 months. As my system got better and better through upgrades (see my profile for my system details), the VO separated itself from the pack and was clearly better for my preferences. Over the years, I've put together what is for me, an end game system. I think the VO scales better than any other ZMF headphone. The VO has proven to be a keeper while some more expensive headphones didn't make the cut including the HEKSE, and the LCD 4z. For some music, I even prefer it to my much more expensive Susvara and 1266TC, both of which I love. The ZMF headphone that I like least is easily the Auteur. The Aeolus is the high value headphone in the ZMF line up. The VO has greater speed, dimensionality and resolution over the less expensive Aeolus and it achieves this without being bright. I think the VO is much more natural sounding that the VC. I'll take a good open headphone over a similar designed closed headphone everyday of the week.

Dec 20, 2021 at 8:25 PM Post #7,163 of 9,535
You guys are an obsessive group LOL just kidding, i am probably one of the few here that does not care too much about wood and finish, i just wanted to be part of the ZMF club and bought the desert ironwood VO, loving the sound and comfort. However, i find it amazing that Zach offers so many options and totally admire his craftsmanship.
Guilty as charged here, lol! I remember a few years ago when I first started posting here seeing all the ZMF stuff and wondered what were these weird, big headphones and who cares about the wood because you can’t see them when you’re wearing them. So I managed to get a couple used ones the cheapest I could find with no care about the wood….then subsequently sold each to get custom, limited, or stabilized versions for much more than I originally paid. I went from a bargain $700 used Atticus to a $1700 custom one with magnesium chassis and Verite cable and don’t regret any of it for a second. They’re really works of art and I enjoy seeing them on my desk and changing in the light throughout the day. As new ones come out I inevitably think, why, oh why must Zach keep doing this to us. Ok, time to get back to my new Blackwood Verite which I certainly didn’t need, but am oh so glad I got them anyway. Merry Christmas to me!

Dec 20, 2021 at 9:54 PM Post #7,164 of 9,535
Obsessive? Who, us? Regulars of internet messageboard about obscenely expensive headphones, "obsessive"? That can't be right. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Dec 20, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #7,165 of 9,535
Obsessive? Who, us? Regulars of internet messageboard about obscenely expensive headphones, "obsessive"? That can't be right. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I'm in this reply and I don't like it...

Dec 20, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #7,166 of 9,535
I had the Aeolus, VC and VO all at the same time for at least 6 months. As my system got better and better through upgrades (see my profile for my system details), the VO separated itself from the pack and was clearly better for my preferences. Over the years, I've put together what is for me, an end game system. I think the VO scales better than any other ZMF headphone. The VO has proven to be a keeper while some more expensive headphones didn't make the cut including the HEKSE, and the LCD 4z. For some music, I even prefer it to my much more expensive Susvara and 1266TC, both of which I love. The ZMF headphone that I like least is easily the Auteur. The Aeolus is the high value headphone in the ZMF line up. The VO has greater speed, dimensionality and resolution over the less expensive Aeolus and it achieves this without being bright. I think the VO is much more natural sounding that the VC. I'll take a good open headphone over a similar designed closed headphone everyday of the week.
As an Auteur owner who hasn't heard VO, what don't you enjoy about Auteur and in what ways does VO best it?

Dec 20, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #7,167 of 9,535
As an Auteur owner who hasn't heard VO, what don't you enjoy about Auteur and in what ways does VO best it?
I have both and to my ears the Auteur is the most neutral HP in the ZMF stable but it doesn’t wow me or fancy my soul. It also lacks the bass extension and the technical abilities of the VO. The VO is faster and has the ability to resolve whatever you throw at it. The Auteur is still an excellent headphone but it’s not on the same level as the VO. They’re just different and that’s fine.

Dec 21, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #7,168 of 9,535
VO is soulful , while deliver even more advance technicalities (detail, speed, accuracy imaging, and depth perception).

Dec 21, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #7,169 of 9,535
You are not the only one and i also own 4 pairs of ZMF but sold the VO. Many of us are preferred Auteur and Aeolus over Verite
I've owned 5 ZMFs, currently have 3 (Ori, VO, Aeolus).

I'm the opposite of you, though--I love my silkwood VO to pieces, but passed on the Auteur, which I heard a number of times at shows and once IMS. Just couldn't love that sound, certainly not close to how much I love the VO's sound. FWIW the VO and Aeolus coexist quite happily--they're rather different and each one scratches a different sonic itch for me.

BTW, I finally found an amp the VO doesn't sound amazing on--the Monoprice Liquid Gold X. No idea why, but the VO sounds unaccountably bright on this amp. I have 6 other amps, and have heard the VO on at least that many others at shows. Never once did it sound even remotely bright, until the LGX.

Weird. The LGX sounds like the voice of god on planars.

Dec 21, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #7,170 of 9,535
I've owned 5 ZMFs, currently have 3 (Ori, VO, Aeolus).

I'm the opposite of you, though--I love my silkwood VO to pieces, but passed on the Auteur, which I heard a number of times at shows and once IMS. Just couldn't love that sound, certainly not close to how much I love the VO's sound. FWIW the VO and Aeolus coexist quite happily--they're rather different and each one scratches a different sonic itch for me.

BTW, I finally found an amp the VO doesn't sound amazing on--the Monoprice Liquid Gold X. No idea why, but the VO sounds unaccountably bright on this amp. I have 6 other amps, and have heard the VO on at least that many others at shows. Never once did it sound even remotely bright, until the LGX.

Weird. The LGX sounds like the voice of god on planars.
I also love my VO and VC and I’ve heard the rest and out of them all, the Auteur is gonna be my last to purchase b/c I want all dynamic ZMFs at some point but it was my least fav.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back