ZMF Verite Open
Jan 1, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #7,201 of 9,535
Thank you- I wish I could have both in front of me to A/B with my set up. I do recall liking the soundstage quite a bit on my old HD800, but those did not have the fuller body and warmth that my current Auteur had, so if I were after HD800-like soundstage (I know in reality nothing really does that, but I'm hoping for that ballpark) would the Verite fit this bill? I'm also concluding that my Auteur won't be redundant of the Verite, as I believe they are similar DNA, but different animals overall?

Verite will noticeably project wider and deeper soundstage versus Auteur. From what i tried (several VOs with different wood), go with dense wood will help expand the soundstage. Example: African Blackwood.

Jan 1, 2022 at 11:57 AM Post #7,202 of 9,535
From what i tried (several VOs with different wood), go with dense wood will help expand the soundstage. Example: African Blackwood.
Could You compare sonic differences between different woods in Verite? Are those differences significant? I went for silkwood because it was the lightest, i would not probably accept blackwood due to the weight....

Jan 1, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #7,203 of 9,535
Could You compare sonic differences between different woods in Verite? Are those differences significant? I went for silkwood because it was the lightest, i would not probably accept blackwood due to the weight....

I wouldn't say significant, and everyone may hear differently. However, the differences are noticeable. Back when I had Pheasantwood I wouldn't trade it with Silkwood based on sound only.

African Blackwood has more expansive (width, depth, height) soundstage, being bold, fuller body, and has more "sharp" impact/bite compared to SIlkwood.

Jan 1, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #7,204 of 9,535
I wouldn't say significant, and everyone may hear differently. However, the differences are noticeable. Back when I had Pheasantwood I wouldn't trade it with Silkwood based on sound only.

African Blackwood has more expansive (width, depth, height) soundstage, being bold, fuller body, and has more "sharp" impact/bite compared to SIlkwood.
Thanks, Verite silkwood are just so comfortable:)

Jan 1, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #7,205 of 9,535
There may be subtle changes in sound quality but do consider weight and comfort. More so if it’s the closed version. Dense wood are heavy. I have Ironwood VC which sounds incredible but is heavier compared to stock wood

Jan 1, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #7,206 of 9,535
Still waiting for my Blackwood VO to burn in to compare it with my VO Silk which I’ll be selling. I can certainly tell the difference in weight but the Blackwood was slightly more harsh when I first compared them on the TT2 (which itself sounds harsh after months of the Pendant SE but was my only device which plays 2 headphones at once) but overall no other difference I could tell on a quick comparison. That will be cool to hear a little more difference once I put another week of use on it.

Jan 1, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #7,207 of 9,535
Would anybody be able to provide a summary of different ZMF woods and tonal characteristics? The comment above about denser woods, such as African Blackwood, has got me curious.

Jan 1, 2022 at 5:38 PM Post #7,208 of 9,535
Still waiting for my Blackwood VO to burn in to compare it with my VO Silk which I’ll be selling. I can certainly tell the difference in weight but the Blackwood was slightly more harsh when I first compared them on the TT2 (which itself sounds harsh after months of the Pendant SE but was my only device which plays 2 headphones at once) but overall no other difference I could tell on a quick comparison. That will be cool to hear a little more difference once I put another week of use on it.
Take Your time:) my experience is Verite needs burning in.

Jan 1, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #7,209 of 9,535
I have 2 pairs of Aeolus in Sapele and Blackwood. The differences i can hear that the Sapele is airy and the Blackwood is a bit leaner in vocals but the bases hit harder than the Sapele and they sound the same overall.

Jan 1, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #7,211 of 9,535
Would anybody be able to provide a summary of different ZMF woods and tonal characteristics? The comment above about denser woods, such as African Blackwood, has got me curious.
https://www.zmfheadphones.com/wood

“With this in mind we suggest you select the wood you find most aesthetically pleasing as the differences between woods are so sleight as to only be discernable in a live side by side and even then only vary to a notable degree with selections at either end of the hardness spectrum.”

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #7,212 of 9,535

“With this in mind we suggest you select the wood you find most aesthetically pleasing as the differences between woods are so sleight as to only be discernable in a live side by side and even then only vary to a notable degree with selections at either end of the hardness spectrum.”

While I agree I will say that owning two different Verite in purpleheat wood and blackwood I can easily tell a difference sonically. The purpleheat wood Verite "project" more. Really hard to explain but that's what I'll say about them. The blackwoods have a darker background and hit harder down low. They are the same headphone but totally different.

Jan 2, 2022 at 4:16 AM Post #7,213 of 9,535
While I agree I will say that owning two different Verite in purpleheat wood and blackwood I can easily tell a difference sonically. The purpleheat wood Verite "project" more. Really hard to explain but that's what I'll say about them. The blackwoods have a darker background and hit harder down low. They are the same headphone but totally different.
Do You use same cables and gear while comparing? In any case audio is very subjective.

Jan 2, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #7,214 of 9,535

All clear now:)

Jan 2, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #7,215 of 9,535
Interesting- as @Galapac stated above, Zach's site states:

"Typically, we recommend you choose the wood you find the most aesthetically pleasing, as wood choice won't have a large enough effect on the headphones sound to make you like or dislike the headphone."

I suppose that the variance in any tonal characteristics will be subtle in a measurement or blindfold test. However, as a guitarist I really appreciate the tonal differences in instruments made of different woods, such as mahogany, maple, alder, ash, or limba.

I suppose if I purchase a nice set of VO headphones, I'll EQ to taste anyway, so the impact of a given wood's natural tonal properties may be subtle at best, especially given Zach's comments.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back