ZMF Verite Open
Jan 2, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #7,231 of 9,535

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #7,232 of 9,535
I opted for silkwood on the VO, my reasoning being that the lighter wood may add a bit of resonance and warmth to this speedy, high resolution driver.
This makes sense in my very limited, highly unreliable experience. I got hooked on the sound of the Vérité when auditioning them at CanJam. (I'm glad that ZMF was in one of those quieter side rooms at the last CanJam NY). The Vérité I heard then were of the lighter woods, as far as I can tell, and the resonance and warmth were part of their appeal. I now have the African Blackwood version and suspect - and this is nothing more than speculation - that it's ever so slightly less resonant or warm, although two years have passed since that last CanJam audition, I don't have an elephant's memory, and the chains out of which I heard the lighter Vérité were far superior to my own.

I think in the end it might be picking at nits, but of course that's exactly what audiophiles are known for.
It would be cool to do an A/B comparison of my Blackwoods with other, softer, lighter ones. But this would run the risk of nitpicking, for me, and I don't want to come down with a case of audio wood nervosa. The pad rolling temptations are too great as it is!

Jan 3, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #7,233 of 9,535
This makes sense in my very limited, highly unreliable experience. I got hooked on the sound of the Vérité when auditioning them at CanJam. (I'm glad that ZMF was in one of those quieter side rooms at the last CanJam NY). The Vérité I heard then were of the lighter woods, as far as I can tell, and the resonance and warmth were part of their appeal. I now have the African Blackwood version and suspect - and this is nothing more than speculation - that it's ever so slightly less resonant or warm, although two years have passed since that last CanJam audition, I don't have an elephant's memory, and the chains out of which I heard the lighter Vérité were far superior to my own.

It would be cool to do an A/B comparison of my Blackwoods with other, softer, lighter ones. But this would run the risk of nitpicking, for me, and I don't want to come down with a case of audio wood nervosa. The pad rolling temptations are too great as it is!
@jinxy245 and I were at that last CanJam/NYC and missed it greatly last year (along with everything else we were all missing).

Fingers crossed that Omicron doesn't scuttle CanJam/NYC 2022!!

I like nothing better than (as you eloquently put it) listening to "chains...far superior to my own." I also masochistically enjoy those Odyssean moments of "Tie me to the mast!" audio lust that come over me in the ZMF booth and a few other spots.

Jan 3, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #7,236 of 9,535

It would be cool (IMO) to do that comparison, just for the shirts and googles, though I agree it is difficult not to fall into that trap (nitpicking wood nervosa). Setting up a "proper" A/B can be nervosa-inducing in and of itself! I for one am trying to get myself to the "listen & enjoy" phase without 2nd guessing the possibilities of the next latest & greatest. After all, the next great headphone doesn't make my current set up sound any worse. Have fun & enjoy!

Jan 4, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #7,237 of 9,535
I might have made up my mind on purchasing the VO as my next headphones (current Auteur owner). I'm seeing some of limited wood VO's in the low $2K range. Does that sound like a decent price range?

Jan 4, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #7,238 of 9,535
I might have made up my mind on purchasing the VO as my next headphones (current Auteur owner). I'm seeing some of limited wood VO's in the low $2K range. Does that sound like a decent price range?

Limited wood editions are usually heavier, are you sure that's what you want? For some people it's absolutely the right thing. Personally, I would pay a few hundred more and get a brand new Sapele ZMF that comes in well under 500g.

Jan 4, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #7,239 of 9,535
Limited wood editions are usually heavier, are you sure that's what you want? For some people it's absolutely the right thing. Personally, I would pay a few hundred more and get a brand new Sapele ZMF that comes in well under 500g.
That's a good point- The pair I'm looking at are camphor burl, which I believe (per a Zach comment) are lighter weight relative to other LTD woods. My Auteur are Teak, which are pretty light.

Jan 4, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #7,240 of 9,535
That's a good point- The pair I'm looking at are camphor burl, which I believe (per a Zach comment) are lighter weight relative to other LTD woods. My Auteur are Teak, which are pretty light.
While i really admire limited editions i think one should really consider weitght factor. Verite are really HPs hard to take off and comfort is important, especially given the differences soundwise seem not that significant. But this is subjective and LTD versions do look beautiful.

You may also take into account lifetime warranty for drivers for first owner.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #7,241 of 9,535
I'm loving the VOs. Listening to them more than the VCs (which I also love), but one of the things I love about this particular pair is the sneakiness of some of its visual kickassitude. It's beautiful to look at, but there's little knots and burls and whatnot hiding under the yokes like a little something special just for me (which I'm of course going to post pics of):

IMG_2512.jpg
IMG_2513.jpg
IMG_2514.jpg
IMG_2515.jpg
IMG_2516.jpg

Jan 5, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #7,242 of 9,535
Hi all -

I’ve been thinking of parting with my Empyrean and getting a VO instead. I love my VC, so kind of wanted to have them as a set.

Does anyone have experience on how the VO compares to the Empyrean? And to the VC?

Also, any thoughts on when the next Stabilized or LTD Wood drop would be? Wondering if it’s worth waiting for those or just getting a stock VO.

Thanks!

Jan 5, 2022 at 4:37 AM Post #7,243 of 9,535
Does anyone have experience on how the VO compares to the Empyrean? And to the VC?
I used to have Empyreans and compared them one to one against Verite Closed in my setup. Based on this i decided to buy Verite Open (I have now), without listening them first.

I understand You have both Verite Closed and Empys and Your impressions may be different but maybe this could be of any help:

Verite are perfect for tube amps, Empys not that much. Verite (both) are more direct than meze, the sound is heavier, fuller. It was the biggest difference for me. Meze are diffuse and a bit grey in comparison. Not a dramatic diffference but important for me. Verite are more detailed, but still very natural. Verite have a bit more treable (although Empy's treble is a bit more sophisticated) but it is still very much at soft/warm side. Verite have much more defined bas, which goes quite deep. Empy"s bas is muddy in comparison.

Empys has midrange, which has some distance, which I liked because it gave good deph in soundstage. I had an impression that Meze plays with bas/treble contrast more. Verite are more midcentric.

Verite Closed are similar to Verite Open, closed version has more bas and treble and plays more into face. Verite Open are much more spacious.

In case You have not seen this comparisons see this link:

https://www.headphones.com/communit...-artisan-closed-back-dynamic-headphone-review

This pretty much reflects my experience.

Comfortwise Meze are extremly good, but Verite Open in silkwood are not much worse, weight is about the same. Stabilised versions are heavier but if You are fine with VC stabilised versions are beautiful:)

These are my subjective impressions. These are not very different headphones. I liked Empys very much, but I like Verite Open better:)

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 8:07 AM Post #7,244 of 9,535
Hi all -

I’ve been thinking of parting with my Empyrean and getting a VO instead. I love my VC, so kind of wanted to have them as a set.

Also, any thoughts on when the next Stabilized or LTD Wood drop would be? Wondering if it’s worth waiting for those or just getting a stock VO.

Thanks!
If you like VC then getting VO Over Empyrean is no brainer. I sold my Empy after getting VO. Much better texture/ tonality in VO. Empy I found to be extra energetic and splashy 9 - 12KHz region

Users who are viewing this thread

Back