ZMF Verite Open
May 1, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #4,216 of 9,535
I've been using a Yggy a1 for the last several years and I love it. Haven't even really felt the need to upgrade it to a2 or get a better DAC. I'd rather spend more money on getting a better amp, more tubes or another headphone.

I'm with him. We eat the same spaghetti. I've been using my Yggy a1 for a few years and I pair it with Studio Six amp and Verite Open. Oh I have a Schiit Eitr. Make sure you pronounce that correctly.

May 1, 2020 at 5:41 AM Post #4,217 of 9,535
already went with the schiit but I'm okay with that for now.. There seems to be some fans of the yggy so I'll get my impressions before I dig into other sound signatures. I may skip the amp for the meantime and just pull the trigger on the verite instead when I have that saved up and my old equipment sold. I think this is my 15th post so I can put the eikons up for sale officially. but it's a bit late to put that all together.

May 1, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #4,218 of 9,535
Ya'll.

v1.png

v4.png

v5.png

v6.png

I was on the hunt for a Pheasantwood Verite. Zach kindly reached out to me and told me he had a Prototype Pheasantwood Verite that he'd happily sell me as is, or refinish it for me. The opportunity to get this wood brand new from Zach was too good to pass up. The pictures he sent during the build revealed this gorgeous, lively brown color - precisely what I was looking for. I was initially worried that there would be a significant color difference between the cups, but it turned out to just be the lighting in Zach's original picture. Of course he wouldn't sell something that's not gorgeous.

Haven't had them on very long so I don't have much in the way of sound impressions. Still doing the "brain burn in". They're pretty impactful. Aggressive. They're really letting me know they're the boss and they ain't here to mess around. Stage is really interesting. It's not wide, it just feels natural. Things are placed really well. I'm not sure I'd call it intimate as that might imply that it's small, but it's not. It's just right. You feel really connected with the music.

I continue to be impressed with ZMF. Thank you, Zach.

That wood is really beautiful...combining it w/SS screen is just perfect IMO.

Just checked your gear. I'm guessing the Dragon Inspire IHA-1 would make a fascinating combination with this headphone.

May 1, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #4,219 of 9,535
Just checked your gear. I'm guessing the Dragon Inspire IHA-1 would make a fascinating combination with this headphone.

I can confirm this 500%.

May 1, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #4,220 of 9,535
looks like all u need to do is use a sharpie and black out that lil chip and you're all set!

nice grains there :)
Yeah, I actually didn't notice that until someone pointed it out! Those pictures were right after I had opened up the case, so I am guessing they came like that. I'll ask Zach and see if I can get a replacement.

That wood is really beautiful...combining it w/SS screen is just perfect IMO.

The Dragon Inspire IHA-1 is a phenomenal tube amp. It's an OTC that uses a tube rectifier and two 6SN7s. The 6SN7s are notoriously, infamously expensive but they sound superb. You can really hear the difference between tubes, so it's a tube-roller's dream. My favorites are RCA 6SN7GTB, Syl 6SN7GTA, and Ken Rad 6SN7GT Black Glass. And I'm sure I've spent more on tubes than the amp at this point. Worth it, though. ZMF headphones truly love tubes. I was even listening to some icky jazz last night, that I usually never go for, but kind of liked all because of what the Verite is capable of and the tube magic.

Edit: I'm still just dumbfounded at how good these headphones are. Holy smokes they've got everything. I know it's cliche but I'm hearing things in music I didn't know were there before. And it all sounds just so natural and engaging.

Edit2: One more vanity picture.
v7.png

Last edited:
May 2, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #4,221 of 9,535
Well I just sold my VC and I'm already missing how good metal/rock music sounded on them. While swapping the Universe pads onto the VO brings the sound a little closer to what the VC had to offer in this genre, I'm still wondering what my other options are out there.

Any VO owners have a pairing suggestion, besides the VC? I'm thinking Aeolus might be good at this point to bring some diversity to the table, but I'm also in the market for a high-end IEM.

May 2, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #4,222 of 9,535
Well I just sold my VC and I'm already missing how good metal/rock music sounded on them. While swapping the Universe pads onto the VO brings the sound a little closer to what the VC had to offer in this genre, I'm still wondering what my other options are out there.

Any VO owners have a pairing suggestion, besides the VC? I'm thinking Aeolus might be good at this point to bring some diversity to the table, but I'm also in the market for a high-end IEM.

I'm a walking cliche when I say this--but you should try an Ori. If you're willing to do w/o some of that class-leading resolution & snap the VC has in spades, w/an Ori you'd get a perfectly voiced planar headphone: a great example of that musical ZMF house sound + some of the best bass of any headphone around (really).

I've compared my Ori at length to Aeolus, Eikon, VO, VC, Empyrean, others. That sound never disappoints & never gets old.

May 2, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #4,223 of 9,535
I'm a walking cliche when I say this--but you should try an Ori. If you're willing to do w/o some of that class-leading resolution & snap the VC has in spades, w/an Ori you'd get a perfectly voiced planar headphone: a great example of that musical ZMF house sound + some of the best bass of any headphone around (really).

I've compared my Ori at length to Aeolus, Eikon, VO, VC, Empyrean, others. That sound never disappoints & never gets old.
Do you like the Ori better than the Aeolus?

May 2, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #4,224 of 9,535
Do you like the Ori better than the Aeolus?

It's not that simple. I'm crazy about both headphones, but they aren't really equal. The Aeolus does "technicalities" better than the Ori & is the best all-around open back I've heard. But the Ori has that crushing planar bass, big soundstage (I believe it equals the VC in that dep't), top-to-bottom musicality, and low distortion.

When you talked of letting the VC go, I just assumed you were looking for another closed back. But if you're looking for another open-back as a sonic alternative/contrast to the VO, then the Aeolus should be tops on that list. You can change its sound considerably w/earpad options, but even with the most neutral pads (Verite pads), it's an entertaining, addictive headphone: not as much resolution or detail as VO, but fun as hell (all strictly IMO).

May 2, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #4,225 of 9,535
It's not that simple. I'm crazy about both headphones, but they aren't really equal. The Aeolus does "technicalities" better than the Ori & is the best all-around open back I've heard. But the Ori has that crushing planar bass, big soundstage (I believe it equals the VC in that dep't), top-to-bottom musicality, and low distortion.

When you talked of letting the VC go, I just assumed you were looking for another closed back. But if you're looking for another open-back as a sonic alternative/contrast to the VO, then the Aeolus should be tops on that list. You can change its sound considerably w/earpad options, but even with the most neutral pads (Verite pads), it's an entertaining, addictive headphone: not as much resolution or detail as VO, but fun as hell (all strictly IMO).
Yea I'm open to open-backs. I had to let VC go because glasses + closed seal wasn't happening forcing me to wear contacts at my computer when I wanted to enjoy the VC. I did find out how much my wife and I both like the closed-solution form factor however, which is why I'm revisiting the idea of IEMs as well. But in regards to a compliment pair for the VO it is more for a diverse sound that will pair nicely for diverse genres. Aeolus seems like a winner no doubt.

May 2, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #4,226 of 9,535

Have you heard the Auteur? I’d love to hear a comparison of the Auteur to the VO.

May 2, 2020 at 7:24 PM Post #4,227 of 9,535
Have you heard the Auteur? I’d love to hear a comparison of the Auteur to the VO.
I owned Auteur Teak for a good while, and currently own Verite Cocobolo.
The Auteur had a more neutral/flat frequency response, with a bit more in the treble than the VO.
The Auteur have a more distant sound stage, while the Verite have more depth and better imaging.
The Verite are much faster in transients and layering, bass detail on the Verite is better as well.
The Auteur had better timbre to me, the VO has a dip in the upper-mids that you get used to but is noticeable at first.

May 2, 2020 at 7:38 PM Post #4,228 of 9,535

I heard Auteur numerous times at shows, sometimes in quiet conditions. Also heard one IMS briefly. I found the upper mids & treble to be a bit too insistent at times, despite otherwise above-average tonality & soundstaging.

Somehow that same characteristic is easier for me to handle in the Eikon (same driver) -- maybe because the Eikon has spectacular dynamics, even slightly nudging out the very dynamic Aeolus there. The Eikon is a thrill ride: a seat belt-required headphone IMO.

I would much prefer the VO to the Auteur. I never heard the upper midrange dip other people describe--it sounded pretty much ideal tonally, top to bottom; a rare combination of great resolution with great musicality. But that's just my personal taste. I know many people, here & on other boards, who regard the Auteur as the best sounding, most musical of all ZMF designs.

May 2, 2020 at 7:41 PM Post #4,229 of 9,535
I would much prefer the VO to the Auteur. I never heard the upper midrange dip other people describe--it sounded pretty much ideal tonally, top to bottom; a rare combination of great resolution with great musicality.

Interesting. I'm just getting to know my VO's - had them for a little over ten days - and the dip is definitely noticeable. Not in a bad way - I'm just very sensitive to vocal presence, so I definitely hear it.

However, the VO is so, so, so good that rather than change pads or EQ it to balance out my generally preferred sound, I'm just letting my brain get used to it's signature, which I think is the biggest compliment I can pay the headphones and ZMF.

May 2, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #4,230 of 9,535
The tonality of the VO is my favorite of all the headphones I've owned or tried to date. The imaging is excellent and the soundstage is wide and deep. The tonality of the VO is what sets it apart for me from other headphones. I tried the Auteur and the Atticus at Axpona a few years ago. The Auteur is the only ZMF that really didn't engage me for some reason. I liked the Atticus for its smooth liquid midrange and overall musicality. I have an Aeolus and VC currently on order so I hope they are more like the Atticus and VO than the Auteur.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back