ZMF Verite Open
May 2, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #4,233 of 9,561
I heard Auteur numerous times at shows, sometimes in quiet conditions. Also heard one IMS briefly. I found the upper mids & treble to be a bit too insistent at times, despite otherwise above-average tonality & soundstaging.

Somehow that same characteristic is easier for me to handle in the Eikon (same driver) -- maybe because the Eikon has spectacular dynamics, even slightly nudging out the very dynamic Aeolus there. The Eikon is a thrill ride: a seat belt-required headphone IMO.

I would much prefer the VO to the Auteur. I never heard the upper midrange dip other people describe--it sounded pretty much ideal tonally, top to bottom; a rare combination of great resolution with great musicality. But that's just my personal taste. I know many people, here & on other boards, who regard the Auteur as the best sounding, most musical of all ZMF designs.
I have had the reverse experience, owning Auteur and listening to VO at shows. I found VO's great but less natural mids and less treble extension. Auteur is well-balanced across the frequencies yet rarely activates my treble-sensitivity. Perhaps it is familiarity with Auteur's neutral but still euphonic signature, but VO sounded less natural like I was listening to the headphone and not the music....no desire to upgrade to it. I recognize VO beat's Auteur on some technicalities, and that my preference for Auteur may be a minority opinion.

May 3, 2020 at 2:06 AM Post #4,234 of 9,561
Well I just sold my VC and I'm already missing how good metal/rock music sounded on them. While swapping the Universe pads onto the VO brings the sound a little closer to what the VC had to offer in this genre, I'm still wondering what my other options are out there.

Any VO owners have a pairing suggestion, besides the VC? I'm thinking Aeolus might be good at this point to bring some diversity to the table, but I'm also in the market for a high-end IEM.
Delete

Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #4,235 of 9,561
Yea I'm open to open-backs. I had to let VC go because glasses + closed seal wasn't happening forcing me to wear contacts at my computer when I wanted to enjoy the VC. I did find out how much my wife and I both like the closed-solution form factor however, which is why I'm revisiting the idea of IEMs as well. But in regards to a compliment pair for the VO it is more for a diverse sound that will pair nicely for diverse genres. Aeolus seems like a winner no doubt.

In my case about glasses, I always switch to my "headphone glasses" when at home. A frameless glasses with thin temples. Something looks like this:

640470-a-pair-of-very-lightweight-frameless-glasses-with-thin-plastic.jpg

Relatively cheap, durable, and will not affect seal from headphone. Personally, I own one from Hugo Boss brand that last for 12 years and still counting.

Also, I feel that Auteur is open back ZMF that I like the least, feel like musicality got suck out a bit. Perhaps a bit too neutral for my taste, although nowhere "boring" like HD800.

Last edited:
May 3, 2020 at 6:47 PM Post #4,236 of 9,561
In my case about glasses, I always switch to my "headphone glasses" when at home. A frameless glasses with thin temples. Something looks like this:

640470-a-pair-of-very-lightweight-frameless-glasses-with-thin-plastic.jpg

Relatively cheap, durable, and will not affect seal from headphone. Personally, I own one from Hugo Boss brand that last for 12 years and still counting.

Also, I feel that Auteur is open back ZMF that I like the least, feel like musicality got suck out a bit. Perhaps a bit too neutral for my taste, although nowhere "boring" like HD800.

Thanks yea my glasses frames were pretty thick. I think a pair like that would have done much better, plus I learned suede pads can help too.

May 5, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #4,238 of 9,561
Purpleheart Verite has arrived! Picked this up b-stock from Zach (cups are a bit mismatched, one darker with less grain definition, one lighter). These are absolutely stunning with rose gold grills, truly my dream ZMF design come to life!

Beautiful, congrats!

Also for all who offered suggestions on the VO pairing, I found an Aeolus for a good price so looking forward to that coming in :)

Last edited:
May 8, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #4,239 of 9,561
Hey Zach, isn't there any "stolen photo" at the upcoming new LTD? :eye:

May 11, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #4,243 of 9,561
Swapping the Verite lambskin pads onto the Aeolus made a big difference in the treble, but also brought down the bass by a large margin.

If anyone has a spare set of Universe Suede Perf pads (FOUND) and Verite BE2 suede perf pads they'd part with, I'm looking to purchase.

Last edited:
May 14, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #4,244 of 9,561
My blackwood Auteur stopped working in the right driver,

I'm very interrested in the Verite, it sounds like it might be what i'm looking for as my next upgrade. Now i'll be going back and read through this thread.

Being a metal fan, i'm hoping this might add something to my taste, that my Atticus and now dead Auteurs is lacking

May 14, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #4,245 of 9,561
My blackwood Auteur stopped working in the right driver,

I'm very interrested in the Verite, it sounds like it might be what i'm looking for as my next upgrade. Now i'll be going back and read through this thread.

Being a metal fan, i'm hoping this might add something to my taste, that my Atticus and now dead Auteurs is lacking
Sorry to hear about your Blackwood. Did you reach out to Zach already?
I love my Verite. It was my game ender for my audiophile journey. It took me to the place I had been looking for ever since my first 6xx. Having had them a while now I can see how a one-quiver arsenal isn’t as ideal as having multiple options when switching between genres. Going between Aeolus and Verite clearly demonstrates where both shine, and with very little negative trade-offs. Since you mention metal I will say that is the Verite’s biggest weakness IMO. This is where Aeolus steps in for me. But I will say the VC was even more favorable for metal over the Aeolus. The VC was incredible with metal. The Aeolus is great with metal but even better with rock, hard rock.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back