ZMF Verite Open
Apr 30, 2020 at 3:26 PM Post #4,201 of 9,561
It's my purest heart hahah. Too much using my phone to post I think.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Apr 30, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #4,202 of 9,561
Hey all just gearing up for these magical hps but I am curious as I don't see a lot of people using nos dac with these and I am really tempted to get a yggy a2 used in the near future even though I was looking in the past for a nos dac. Selling my gumby after it gets the unison upgrade and selling my eikons as I have the blackwood auteur and the eikons just don't get used. I have a schiitty lyr 3 for now but that will get the upgrade as well in due time.

but back to the NOS dac question. Is the yggy a2 good enough untill I can save up for a totl nos dac? I am thinking for endgame not just what will still sounds good.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #4,203 of 9,561
sounds like a name for a very limited edition :wink:

I was thinking if Zach ever gets to do a "budget" headphone, that would also be a perfect name.

Apr 30, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #4,204 of 9,561
Hey all just gearing up for these magical hps but I am curious as I don't see a lot of people using nos dac with these and I am really tempted to get a yggy a2 used in the near future even though I was looking in the past for a nos dac. Selling my gumby after it gets the unison upgrade and selling my eikons as I have the blackwood auteur and the eikons just don't get used. I have a schiitty lyr 3 for now but that will get the upgrade as well in due time.

but back to the NOS dac question. Is the yggy a2 good enough untill I can save up for a totl nos dac? I am thinking for endgame not just what will still sounds good.

I've been using a Yggy a1 for the last several years and I love it. Haven't even really felt the need to upgrade it to a2 or get a better DAC. I'd rather spend more money on getting a better amp, more tubes or another headphone.

Apr 30, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #4,206 of 9,561

I don't own a Verite (yet) & I've only heard yggy at shows. However, I had the good fortune to have a loaner VO & VC in my system for weeks at the end of 2019. I have a solid NOS DAC in my main system (MHDT Labs Orchid w/upgraded tube in the buffer) & a nice multibit in my side system (Audio GD DAC-19). Both VO & VC sound like a million bucks on both DACs.

They'd probably sound like a million bucks on any DAC; still, I prefer multibit & particularly NOS to delta-sigma DACs (or at least, d/s DACs that don't cost as much as a new sports car). I can definitely recommend NOS + any ZMF headphone at all (I own 3).

Admittedly, the sonic contribution of one's DAC is more subtle than that of a headphone amp. Still, you'll hear whatever your DAC is doing, good & bad, on every downstream component, so it's important to get one whose sound pleases you.

Apr 30, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #4,207 of 9,561
Ya'll.

v1.png

v4.png

v5.png

v6.png

I was on the hunt for a Pheasantwood Verite. Zach kindly reached out to me and told me he had a Prototype Pheasantwood Verite that he'd happily sell me as is, or refinish it for me. The opportunity to get this wood brand new from Zach was too good to pass up. The pictures he sent during the build revealed this gorgeous, lively brown color - precisely what I was looking for. I was initially worried that there would be a significant color difference between the cups, but it turned out to just be the lighting in Zach's original picture. Of course he wouldn't sell something that's not gorgeous.

Haven't had them on very long so I don't have much in the way of sound impressions. Still doing the "brain burn in". They're pretty impactful. Aggressive. They're really letting me know they're the boss and they ain't here to mess around. Stage is really interesting. It's not wide, it just feels natural. Things are placed really well. I'm not sure I'd call it intimate as that might imply that it's small, but it's not. It's just right. You feel really connected with the music.

I continue to be impressed with ZMF. Thank you, Zach.

Apr 30, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #4,208 of 9,561

I want to hear your impressions on the differences between the Auteur and Verite!

Apr 30, 2020 at 11:24 PM Post #4,209 of 9,561
Ya'll.

v1.png

v4.png

v5.png

v6.png

I was on the hunt for a Pheasantwood Verite. Zach kindly reached out to me and told me he had a Prototype Pheasantwood Verite that he'd happily sell me as is, or refinish it for me. The opportunity to get this wood brand new from Zach was too good to pass up. The pictures he sent during the build revealed this gorgeous, lively brown color - precisely what I was looking for. I was initially worried that there would be a significant color difference between the cups, but it turned out to just be the lighting in Zach's original picture. Of course he wouldn't sell something that's not gorgeous.

Haven't had them on very long so I don't have much in the way of sound impressions. Still doing the "brain burn in". They're pretty impactful. Aggressive. They're really letting me know they're the boss and they ain't here to mess around. Stage is really interesting. It's not wide, it just feels natural. Things are placed really well. I'm not sure I'd call it intimate as that might imply that it's small, but it's not. It's just right. You feel really connected with the music.

I continue to be impressed with ZMF. Thank you, Zach.

looks like all u need to do is use a sharpie and black out that lil chip and you're all set!

nice grains there :)

May 1, 2020 at 1:49 AM Post #4,211 of 9,561
Ok think I'm going to pull the trigger on the yggy a2 so for now I'm not going nos but I do enjoy my Gumby so I think I'll like the upgrade. So now onto the amp section since it could produce a bigger difference . I'm only looking to spend maybe 1500 on an amp but if need I can save up and wait for something better. How much is the lyr 3 going to be holding the verites or the auteurs back?

May 1, 2020 at 2:51 AM Post #4,212 of 9,561
Ok think I'm going to pull the trigger on the yggy a2 so for now I'm not going nos but I do enjoy my Gumby so I think I'll like the upgrade. So now onto the amp section since it could produce a bigger difference . I'm only looking to spend maybe 1500 on an amp but if need I can save up and wait for something better. How much is the lyr 3 going to be holding the verites or the auteurs back?
In that price range I've really enjoyed Feliks-Audio Elise driving my Auteurs. ZMF's love OTL amps!.

May 1, 2020 at 3:46 AM Post #4,213 of 9,561
awesome thanks so much. also thought I'd mention here to you zmf enthusiasts that I will also be selling my camphor eikon with extra pads and custom zmf cable at a very reasonable price.

once I have a little saved up I'll also sell my lyr 3 and get the feliks or something similar if I get some other suggestions. only focusing on amps for zmf and moreso for the verite.

May 1, 2020 at 3:51 AM Post #4,214 of 9,561
...once I have a little saved up I'll also sell my lyr 3 and get the feliks or something similar if I get some other suggestions. only focusing on amps for zmf and moreso for the verite.
I am NOT selling you my DSHA-3F ... don’t even ask :)

May 1, 2020 at 4:12 AM Post #4,215 of 9,561

I've had the CAD 1543 for a few years now and with the verites it's a gorgeous musical experience. Non fatiguing but all the detail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back