ZMF Verite Open
Apr 29, 2020 at 9:23 PM Post #4,187 of 9,561
I am currently using a Nordost Heimdall 2 (previously on an Audeze), what do you think of this cable?
It seems to me very open and detailed, an obvious improvement over the stock one. Expected, given the cost...

BJvj2jR.jpg
I am currently using a Nordost Heimdall 2 (previously on an Audeze), what do you think of this cable?
It seems to me very open and detailed, an obvious improvement over the stock one. Expected, given the cost...

BJvj2jR.jpg
I can tell you what I think of those verites! 😍👌

Apr 30, 2020 at 6:53 AM Post #4,189 of 9,561
I can tell you what I think of those verites! 😍👌

cZ2GK8B.jpg

This wood is awesome...

Anyway, I tried three different pads, here's my standings:

1) Universe Lambskin Perforated
Better holographic soundstage, darker ones, meaty mid-bass.

2) Universe Suede Perforated
Most balanced, more sub-bass, mid-treble slight elevated over the lambskin ones

...some distance...

3) Vérité Lambskin Perforated
Less soundstage, not much bass, great clarity and dynamics; but somewhat uninvolving, less musical. A monitor kind of pads.

To wrap the story: buy Universe! :)

Apr 30, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #4,190 of 9,561
I agree with your pad assessment. I have also tried 4 different pads including the BE pad, and love the pads they were shipped with - the Universe lambskin pads. They sound the best paired with my large Yamaha solid state integrated amp. I also enjoy the Verite lambskin pads from time to time.

Apr 30, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #4,191 of 9,561
cZ2GK8B.jpg

This wood is awesome...

Anyway, I tried three different pads, here's my standings:

1) Universe Lambskin Perforated
Better holographic soundstage, darker ones, meaty mid-bass.

2) Universe Suede Perforated
Most balanced, more sub-bass, mid-treble slight elevated over the lambskin ones

...some distance...

3) Vérité Lambskin Perforated
Less soundstage, not much bass, great clarity and dynamics; but somewhat uninvolving, less musical. A monitor kind of pads.

To wrap the story: buy Universe! :)

I've seen purpleheart headphones before & never much cared for the wood: my thinking was, take away the purple color, and the grain & figure that remain don't really move me.

...until Zach started using purpleheart. I don't know whether purplewood blanks he gets are milled/sawn differently or what--but the results are outstanding. This picture illustrates a wood w/ideal finish & visual interest beyond color. Beautiful headphone!

PS: I prefer SS screens on any wood/any color that's medium dark (for example, got SS for my blackwood Aeolus). This headphone also illustrates compelllng contrast between the wood & that gorgeous screen.

Apr 30, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #4,192 of 9,561
I've seen purpleheart headphones before & never much cared for the wood: my thinking was, take away the purple color, and the grain & figure that remain don't really move me.

...until Zach started using purpleheart. I don't know whether purplewood blanks he gets are milled/sawn differently or what--but the results are outstanding. This picture illustrates a wood w/ideal finish & visual interest beyond color. Beautiful headphone!

It took some experimentation with the pure heart, and resulted in a few b stock and non production headphones, but it turns out to get the best result with purple heart you have to do a slight stain, coupled with stained pore filler and hand applied varnish. All other methods look really dull, but I found this to really make the wood and color pop and bring out the natural tones of purple heart wood, which is what really makes purple heart special!

_DSC3436.JPG

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Apr 30, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #4,193 of 9,561
It took some experimentation with the pure heart, and resulted in a few b stock and non production headphones, but it turns out to get the best result with purple heart you have to do a slight stain, coupled with stained pore filler and hand applied varnish. All other methods look really dull, but I found this to really make the wood and color pop and bring out the natural tones of purple heart wood, which is what really makes purple heart special!

_DSC3436.JPG

Are you gonna post some pics of Camphor burl finish?? :L3000::beerchug:

Apr 30, 2020 at 2:19 PM Post #4,194 of 9,561

_DSC3436.JPG

Gorgeous! That experimentation certainly paid off, I have not been able to find any other use of purpleheart in audio that compares. Personally I am excited to be the beneficiary of that experimentation with my b-stock on the way :wink:

Apr 30, 2020 at 2:20 PM Post #4,195 of 9,561

_DSC3436.JPG
I don't know how I can hold all my excitement in while waiting...
That looks gorgeous with stainless steel grill/hardware.

Apr 30, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #4,196 of 9,561
Are you gonna post some pics of Camphor burl finish?? :L3000::beerchug:

Soon! Still need to process the pics. 😎 Probably will have them listed end of next week.

Gorgeous! That experimentation certainly paid off, I have not been able to find any other use of purpleheart in audio that compares. Personally I am excited to be the beneficiary of that experimentation with my b-stock on the way :wink:
I don't know how I can hold all my excitement in while waiting...
That looks gorgeous with stainless steel grill/hardware.

:L3000:

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Apr 30, 2020 at 2:56 PM Post #4,197 of 9,561
My Verite should be arriving today. I'm keeping a lookout for the Fed Ex guy. Kinda nervous about the wood color. I'll post pictures in the thread when they get here!

Edit: FedEx sucks.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #4,198 of 9,561
1588273025281.png

Since the representation of Tube lovers is quite strong here, I would like to share my small unprofessional opinion:

I have listened to the Verite Open with a

- JDS The Element I.
- Burson C3XR
- Hugo 2

The Hugo 2 beats the above by far! First day with the pairing, but I am stunned and absolutely in love. Will add an M-Scaler later. I am not even sure if I will need a Hugo TT2 at the end of the process as the amp seems to drive the Verite just fine :)

Happy listening to everybody

1588273265922.png

Apr 30, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #4,199 of 9,561

You should just call them "Pure Heart's" from now on! :grin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back