ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Sep 19, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #3,676 of 12,549
Wow there are some great suggestions here. Hence I spend countless hours, both at work and home, reading this forums.

For the moment, i will be keeping my LP. Theres something about the sound, especially after the cap mod, that I find hard to beat. The LP stays.

With that being said, I am now thinking about replacing the TUBA and upgrading that to either a Pendant or an ELISE. Which amp would suit my headphones? Which will give me more out of all my headphones? Any info would be helpful.

Sep 19, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #3,677 of 12,549
You’re gonna love it!
I've spent the time setting up my mobile A/B and household listening station. All it needs is a bit of ZMF love!

IMG_20200918_081412_1.jpg

Sep 19, 2020 at 10:22 PM Post #3,678 of 12,549
I've spent the time setting up my mobile A/B and household listening station. All it needs is a bit of ZMF love!

IMG_20200918_081412_1.jpg
This is next level! I'd love to be able to move my setup around depending on where I am.

Sep 19, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #3,679 of 12,549

Nice! I predict that you will find that the time you used to set this all up was time well spent. Prepare to be blown away.:)

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2020 at 1:17 AM Post #3,680 of 12,549
I really wish i could spend 2k on a tube amp. I have been looking into Feliks Audio stuff but i heard that OTL amps dont play too well with planars and low impedance cans. Thats why i mentioned spending top money for a SS amp like GSX-mini so that if needed to, i can use those with my other cans besides the ZMFs. However, if i can find a tube amp for around 1k thats plays well with VC, then i m all for it
You could consider a Woo Audio WA6se at $1,300 but you can also find a lot of vintage tube amps in restored and working condition for under $1,000. My Scott 299D plays beautifully with my planars (it was delivered a week to the day after I shipped my autuers). PM me if you have an interest in some vintage amps

Sep 20, 2020 at 5:33 AM Post #3,681 of 12,549
Wow there are some great suggestions here. Hence I spend countless hours, both at work and home, reading this forums.

For the moment, i will be keeping my LP. Theres something about the sound, especially after the cap mod, that I find hard to beat. The LP stays.

With that being said, I am now thinking about replacing the TUBA and upgrading that to either a Pendant or an ELISE. Which amp would suit my headphones? Which will give me more out of all my headphones? Any info would be helpful.
Can you solder? Bottlehead makes some decent amp kits if you want to experiment with tubes. I love my S.E.X.

Sep 20, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #3,682 of 12,549
I did own a crack+speedball for a short while. Back then, I didn't have any zmfs so didn't really know what they can actually do, bit it didn't play well with the rest of my headphones, so I decided to sell it.

I really want to get an elise but the truth is, I have spent wayyyyy too much money tube rolling the tuba and the LP. And from what it seems like, the Elise is tube rollers dream. The stock tubes from what I hear are decent, but could use some upgrading to match with the VC. Honestly, those tubes and valves don't look cheap either so I really don't know if I want to go down that path, at the moment.

The pendant on the other hand, won't require too much money for tube rolling since I already own a bunch of el84 tubes. However, from reading all the online reviews, I kept hearing about statics and humming noises coming from the amp. Also, despite being an all rounded of an amp, it may not play well with the cans that I have.

Lastly, the gsx-mini. For me, it's the most logical choice. My THX887 is the weakest link of all the amps that I own. So replacing it with a high end SS amp would make the most sense. However, right now, I m in a committed relationship with my auteur and VC and I wanna make them happy and would do anything to make them play at their best. Hence I was leaning towards tube amps. I also like to give attention to my side pieces that are my focal clear and lcd-x so the gsx mini would cover all bases.

Three really rough choices. And I realized in my dreams last night that I need to spend close to 2k to make my zmfs happy and I m willing to do it......it's just a matter of which amp...😭😭😭

Sep 20, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #3,683 of 12,549
I did own a crack+speedball for a short while. Back then, I didn't have any zmfs so didn't really know what they can actually do, bit it didn't play well with the rest of my headphones, so I decided to sell it.

I really want to get an elise but the truth is, I have spent wayyyyy too much money tube rolling the tuba and the LP. And from what it seems like, the Elise is tube rollers dream. The stock tubes from what I hear are decent, but could use some upgrading to match with the VC. Honestly, those tubes and valves don't look cheap either so I really don't know if I want to go down that path, at the moment.

The pendant on the other hand, won't require too much money for tube rolling since I already own a bunch of el84 tubes. However, from reading all the online reviews, I kept hearing about statics and humming noises coming from the amp. Also, despite being an all rounded of an amp, it may not play well with the cans that I have.

Lastly, the gsx-mini. For me, it's the most logical choice. My THX887 is the weakest link of all the amps that I own. So replacing it with a high end SS amp would make the most sense. However, right now, I m in a committed relationship with my auteur and VC and I wanna make them happy and would do anything to make them play at their best. Hence I was leaning towards tube amps. I also like to give attention to my side pieces that are my focal clear and lcd-x so the gsx mini would cover all bases.

Three really rough choices. And I realized in my dreams last night that I need to spend close to 2k to make my zmfs happy and I m willing to do it......it's just a matter of which amp...😭😭😭
Have heard lot of good things about DNA Starllet. You won't go wrong with it. Euforia is great as well but slightly laid back and you may get EC ZDS used for this price as well.
Also do note DAC also has great impact on higher end headphones so once you have an amp of your choice and you still feel something is missing then do look towards DAC as well.

Sep 20, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #3,684 of 12,549

Have you seen Torg's review of the Pendant on Headphones.com? He goes into pretty good detail about pairings with the Pendant, as well as the effects of tube rolling on the amp.

https://www.headphones.com/blogs/news/zmf-pendant-tube-headphone-amplifier-review

Sep 20, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #3,685 of 12,549
After much deliberation, I just pulled the trigger on a GSX-mini. I figured I need to get rid of my THX 887 first. So the GSX-mini made tthe most sense. As for the tube amps, i believe my LP and tuba will be sufficient for the time being. I know there are not of the highest end, but the synergy of the Tuba w/ focal clear and Lp w/ VC are something that will keep me happy while i wait for the GSX-mini. I ll continue my research regarding the Elise and Pendant and will most likely decide in the not too distant future.

Sep 20, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #3,686 of 12,549
Only one of my headphones does not play nice on the Euphoria, that's the 1266. The rest are sounding amazing on it. One thing I learned is the .250 watts on the Feliks amp is headroom power. The OTL workers differently by using current if I remember correctly from a post I was reading. The best tubes I purchased are the Tung Sol 5998 as these have the bass that's deep and rich midrange and sparkle in the highs. I have to pairs of the 5998 cost is $500 - $650 for pair. I am happy with the gold psvane driver tubes.

Sep 20, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #3,687 of 12,549
Looking for suggestions/advice: I enjoy a V-shaped/warm-ish sound and currently have a DT770 80 Ohm and a TH900MK2. Would it be a mistake to consider buying the Verite Closed? Is there another ZMF offering that might suit me better? Was looking at the Atticus/Eikon but I feel like they might just be a side-grade since I already have the TH900.

Sep 20, 2020 at 12:53 PM Post #3,688 of 12,549
Can never go wrong with vc. I read it can have a w shape with certain pad. With my VO with the Be-2 pad it’s warm with nice bass detail. All dependant on pad you get.

Sep 20, 2020 at 12:55 PM Post #3,689 of 12,549
Looking for suggestions/advice: I enjoy a V-shaped/warm-ish sound and currently have a DT770 80 Ohm and a TH900MK2. Would it be a mistake to consider buying the Verite Closed? Is there another ZMF offering that might suit me better? Was looking at the Atticus/Eikon but I feel like they might just be a side-grade since I already have the TH900.

Thats actually the exact reason i didnt pull the trigger on the Feliks Elise....the cost of those beautiful tubes. Money is a bit tight these days so having to spend 1.5k on an amp, only to spend a couple hundred more on tubes seems daunting to me. However, i will continuously research about it because it has always been my dream to own the perfect amp for my perfect headphone, the ZMF Verite C

Sep 20, 2020 at 1:24 PM Post #3,690 of 12,549
Thanks guys, good to know. My frame is rather wide and thick, so I am not sure if this applies to me as well, but that is very encouraging.
On my Eikoins this bothers me more when wearing glasses.
I tried thin frame glasses, and I still haven't nailed a good pair.
I often balance the arms above the ear cups. A bit awkward, and unsightly but who cares!

Users who are viewing this thread

• PrTv
Back