ZMF Verite Closed-New Closed Back ZMF Flagship.
Sep 16, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #3,647 of 12,524
I’m in the same boat lol

Camphor Burl looks so good lol...but the 3 month wait time is killer. Decisions decision....

Sep 18, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #3,648 of 12,524
Been listening to my new Camphor Burl VC for the last two weeks using my LP (cap modded) and my Hagerman Tuba. I just cant imagine how crisp and dynamic this headphone sounds. Ive listened to many headphones all my life. I currently also own a ZMF Auteur LTD which blew my mind when i first got it and i couldnt believe how good that headphone was. The VC, however, is the first headphone that made me speechless from the moment I put it on. It makes no sense what the actual hell is going on inside the cups when I press the play button. I thought I had high end headphones, but tbh, my Focal Clear, LCD-X, AEON 2 Closed all have been collecting dust since I bought the VC and all these are happening using my two, mid range amps.

I prefer my LP with my VC. Its extremely dynamic, the bass is punchy, the treble is crystal clear and the mid range is lush. My tuba, on the other hand, is laid back, a little bass shy, but smooth and detailed. Can anyone plz give me some advice regarding amp choice with my VC? I think I m gonna keep my LP since its combines beautifully with the rest of my headphones. I am thinking about replacing my THX 887 with a either a GSX mini ($1800) or I can replace my Tuba amp with a tube amp for ~$1000.00.

Can anyone suggest an amp for me? Plz and Thank you

Sep 18, 2020 at 12:30 PM Post #3,649 of 12,524
Been listening to my new Camphor Burl VC for the last two weeks using my LP (cap modded) and my Hagerman Tuba. I just cant imagine how crisp and dynamic this headphone sounds. Ive listened to many headphones all my life. I currently also own a ZMF Auteur LTD which blew my mind when i first got it and i couldnt believe how good that headphone was. The VC, however, is the first headphone that made me speechless from the moment I put it on. It makes no sense what the actual hell is going on inside the cups when I press the play button. I thought I had high end headphones, but tbh, my Focal Clear, LCD-X, AEON 2 Closed all have been collecting dust since I bought the VC and all these are happening using my two, mid range amps.

I prefer my LP with my VC. Its extremely dynamic, the bass is punchy, the treble is crystal clear and the mid range is lush. My tuba, on the other hand, is laid back, a little bass shy, but smooth and detailed. Can anyone plz give me some advice regarding amp choice with my VC? I think I m gonna keep my LP since its combines beautifully with the rest of my headphones. I am thinking about replacing my THX 887 with a either a GSX mini ($1800) or I can replace my Tuba amp with a tube amp for ~$1000.00.

I have the Autuer Zebra LTD also and it has paired so well with the ZMF pendant. It is mind numbing. I really do not like it with the THX789, it just falls flat, obviously echelons of difference between the two price wise. I keep it for gaming comp gaming only really with other headphones. Have a Camp Burl VC on order beyond excited to try the pair out together but the ZMF pendant has been worth every penny thus far. Will check back in in 3-4 weeks once the Camp Burl VC arrive. ( hopefully ;( )

Sep 18, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #3,650 of 12,524

I can personally very strongly recommend the MicroZOTL 2 by Linear Tube Audio. Mine sounds magical with the VC. I have their cheapest entry level switching power supply and although I’ve heard that the LPS is even better, I have never felt the urge to upgrade in my five years or so of owning that amplifier.

The other thing I would say is ask Zach. Send him an email. As far as I can tell he’s completely honest even if it means making a recommendation that is for somebody else’s product. The other thing I would say about him is that he is (or was, at least in my case) able to accurately predict how a given component (in my case it was his cables) will affect the sound based on what you’ve told him about your preferences.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2020 at 1:52 PM Post #3,651 of 12,524
I can personally very strongly recommend the MicroZOTL 2 by Linear Tube Audio. Mine sounds magical with the VC. I have their cheapest entry level switching power supply and although I’ve heard that the LPS is even better, I have never felt the urge to upgrade in my five years or so of owning that amplifier.

The other thing I would say is ask Zach. Send him an email. As far as I can tell he’s completely honest even if it means making a recommendation that is for somebody else’s product. The other thing I would say about him is that he was, at least in my case, able to accurately predict how a given component (in my case it was his cables) will affect the sound based on what you’ve told him about your preferences.
Agreed with the second paragraph completely. I only went with the Pendant after my own research and loosening of my budget to get to that expense. He recommended much more affordable options based on the parameters and signature I wanted given what I already have at home.

Sep 18, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #3,652 of 12,524
I really wish i could spend 2k on a tube amp. I have been looking into Feliks Audio stuff but i heard that OTL amps dont play too well with planars and low impedance cans. Thats why i mentioned spending top money for a SS amp like GSX-mini so that if needed to, i can use those with my other cans besides the ZMFs. However, if i can find a tube amp for around 1k thats plays well with VC, then i m all for it

Sep 18, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #3,653 of 12,524
I really wish i could spend 2k on a tube amp. I have been looking into Feliks Audio stuff but i heard that OTL amps dont play too well with planars and low impedance cans. Thats why i mentioned spending top money for a SS amp like GSX-mini so that if needed to, i can use those with my other cans besides the ZMFs. However, if i can find a tube amp for around 1k thats plays well with VC, then i m all for it
If I can make a suggestion. You might want to contact @A2029 Mischa at 1101 Audio who makes custom tube amps. I know when I bought my Blue Halo OTL I asked him about my Dekoni Blues. He did mention low impedance options that would suit them.
It might be a good idea to speak to him or maybe wait a little longer, save a little more, and get a Blue Halo OTL with a low impedance switch.
Anyway I hope this helps.

Stay safe

Sep 18, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #3,654 of 12,524
Will do. I ll look into the ZOTL 2 as well. Thank you. In the meantime, i ll just listen to my VC with my LP

Sep 18, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #3,655 of 12,524

If looking for something tube-ish with low enough impedance for planars it seems like most ZMF owners like the Schiit LYR3 or Mjolnir2. The Liquid Platinum is another candidate and I know sometimes there's some older ECP amps out there that can be found on the used market. Transformer based full tube amps like the Pendant/Leeloo etc can be hard to find below 1K but there's a good amount of hybrid options that are very nice. I own a LYR3 and always and happy to be using it when I have it out.

For a more tubey sound the MassDrop ZDT Jr is always an option too if you can find one.

Edit - a used Feliks Elise or Decware CSP would be great options. In fact I'm not sure what the new price of a Decware CSP is but it's quite a nice OTL.

Last edited:
ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Sep 18, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #3,656 of 12,524
If I can make a suggestion. You might want to contact @A2029 Mischa at 1101 Audio who makes custom tube amps.
Mischa is making a tube hybrid amp for me which will drive most anything except the most demanding cans. A hybrid is much more practical for my uses.

Sep 18, 2020 at 4:29 PM Post #3,657 of 12,524
zach,

I am very interested in the ELISE or atleast an echo. However, I am afraid that i might lose the ability to use planar and low impedence cans that i have using the Elise or echo. Thats the only reason i have yet to sell my TUBA since it plays well with just about anything. TBH, it plays well with my VC as well, but i would LOVE to listen to my VC and its full potential. I wanna hear what you hear with your gear (LOL i wish). I would LOVE to own a pendant since it will literally take care of my amp problem, once and for all but the current price a little too steep for me since i just got done paying off my VC.

The VC sounds okay with my THX 887 but can you suggest any SS amp that migth work well with the VC?

Sep 18, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #3,658 of 12,524
@Curtisvill

My LP with the cap mod is by far my favorite hybrid amp. It powers just about everything with 6wpc. Its also currently my fav amp to pair with my VC. My tuba is pure tube amp and since i will be replacing it, i would like to buy a pure tube amp (OTL not preferable).

Sep 18, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #3,659 of 12,524
If looking for something tube-ish with low enough impedance for planars it seems like most ZMF owners like the Schiit LYR3 or Mjolnir2. The Liquid Platinum is another candidate and I know sometimes there's some older ECP amps out there that can be found on the used market. Transformer based full tube amps like the Pendant/Leeloo etc can be hard to find below 1K but there's a good amount of hybrid options that are very nice. I own a LYR3 and always and happy to be using it when I have it out.
+1 for the Verite Closed with Lektrik S balanced cable on a Gumby/Mjolnir2 with NOS Telefunken ECC88 tubes. I can't compare with a lot of other stuff, but my ears like what they're hearing. Best audio experience I've had.

Sep 18, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #3,660 of 12,524
Don't have my VC yet, but I love all my other ZMFs with the iFi iCAN Pro in SS mode, as I did the Micro Black. Both are much better than the THX 789 I had. Put some WE 396A tubes in it and the tube modes also are excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back