ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship
Nov 5, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #676 of 2,544
I just had my Omni checked and retuned this past weekend by Zach. Even had a chance to play some catch in the back alley, and his sweetheart wife made us cinnamon rolls! Talk about customer service!

Hope you weren't playing catch with my future Omni!
eek.gif

Nov 6, 2015 at 1:49 AM Post #678 of 2,544

Glad to see you have a set too! Interested to hear what you think of them other than "amazeballs" haha.

Which one do you have? Looks like the walnut? Also what kind of retuning did you do?

Nov 6, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #679 of 2,544
Glad to see you have a set too! Interested to hear what you think of them other than "amazeballs" haha.

Which one do you have? Looks like the walnut? Also what kind of retuning did you do?
You forgot about "awesomesauce" Lmao

I have the "Labster" edition Omni.

Walnut cups buddy.

Zach basically took a look at them after I've done some break in, and tweaked the sound from what it was before, lowering the bass 1db and raising a spot somewhere in the upper midrange 1db. Still has the ZMF sound, although the slight tweak does make a notable and appreciated difference.

Nov 7, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #680 of 2,544
my omni just shipped, can't wait until  I get them

Nov 12, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #681 of 2,544
This may not interest others since I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't want to use the ZMF Omni's on the go, but I tried hooking my headphones up to the HA-2 today.  Basically the computer (and thus HA-1) was being used so I figured I might as well try the Omni with the weaker HA-2 using a 3.5mm cable.  I wasn't expecting much, but surprisingly the HA-2 was able to drive the Omni to excellent volume levels when used as a DAC/Amp with my iPhone.  Actually, I had to dial the volume down (though still on high gain) which I did not expect at all with the relatively weak HA-2.

Then I tried using it with the HA-2 on amp mode alone while playing the Wii U, haha.  Here the obvious weakness of the HA-2 stood out like a sore thumb and I wasn't able to drive the Omni to acceptable volume levels even with all settings maxed.  It's unfortunate since I find the Omni much more preferable to my PM-3 for gaming, but I guess I'd need a more powerful portable amp with line-in for that case.

Still definitely loving these headphones though - to my wife's relief, upgraditis seems to be cured, as other TOTLs don't have the sound signature I like in the Omni.

Nov 13, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #682 of 2,544
I've had the walnut omni's for a few weeks now. It's sounds very good. Most of the time I start listening to a new pair, my thoughts are always go to "hmm, thats pretty good!" then immediately start thinking every little thing about how to make it sound better. this and that.... the Omni is the first pair in which I am like STOP thinking about that stuff! just listen and enjoy :)

also, Zach's a real pleasure to talk to with any questions or issues as well. Very happy purchase with this one. I just wish I could listen to the cherry one...the reviews are making be envious haha. 

Nov 13, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #683 of 2,544
I've had the walnut omni's for a few weeks now. It's sounds very good. Most of the time I start listening to a new pair, my thoughts are always go to "hmm, thats pretty good!" then immediately start thinking every little thing about how to make it sound better. this and that.... the Omni is the first pair in which I am like STOP thinking about that stuff! just listen and enjoy :)

also, Zach's a real pleasure to talk to with any questions or issues as well. Very happy purchase with this one. I just wish I could listen to the cherry one...the reviews are making be envious haha. 
I know EXACTLY what you mean friend.

It's probably the first headphone where I don't say "it sounds good but but I wish..."

Nov 15, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #686 of 2,544
My omnis have arrived!!!!!

First impressions here we go 
biggrin.gif

Finally after months of waiting as a preorderer I finally gotten my Blackwood Omnis. And wow this is definitely an interesting headphone.

Unboxing experience

The box certainly is unrevealing of what actually contains. A normal person would think I just bought a pelican case. Of course as a preorderer I did get a case, but also a pair of great headphones comes with it as well.
 After repeated knifing the box to get rid of the tape, the seahorese case presents itself. The actual case while nondescript is very sturdy and easy to carry. Inside the case is the Omnis with the extra pair of pads between the cups. Under the extra pads is a black pouch with a signed card thanking the purchaser and showing the options chosen and of course the preorder ofc copper cable is inside. Basic yet useful with minimal waste, which is how I like my unboxings.

Design build and comfort

The build is very sturdy (though there’s a worrying creak at times when the move the cups) and the Blackwood cups are breath taking.  However as word of warning, zmf headphones are handmade and it certainly shows in the details. The wood cups are dotted with small pock marks and the actual vents aren’t perfectly made with grooves here and there. If you have ocd and want machine made perfection, I’d advise you to stay away from zmf headphones. If you mind or as I do like and handmade charm these headphones have, then there’s plenty of things love about the looks.

Comfort unfortunately is more clear-cut, while comfier than my akg k99 and grados, everything else I own and owned are more comfy. The weight puts a lot of pressure on the top of my head while the lack of clamping force makes it easier for it to fall if I move my head too much. You do get used to it after a while but the lack of clamp makes the headphone far too easy to move around on your head and the weight can become tiring after a little while.. The rods while sturdy take a tad too much force to move, which makes adjusting a pain. The cups have a bit of tilt and swivel, it’s not very adjustable. And while the wood cups are great the rods are metal, everything else is either rubber or plastic. The ofc cable is quite nice but kinks easily.

Now for sound

Initials impressions were kinda lacklustre, while this proves to not be the case. In fact the more I listened, the more I realized the Omni are something to behold,
For the bass the 560s extends well as the Omnis (which is perfectly), but it simply does not come close to the fun, texture and slam of the Omni’s bass, enough to be exciting but isn’t bloomy nor bloated. A very controlled bass presentation overall.

The Omnis is what I call a sonic contradiction. Generally bright analytical headphones like the hd 800 tend to be the one with better separation and detail while lusher warmer sounding headphones like the lcd 2 tend to be less technically capable than similarly priced analytical counterparts.
That’s why the Omnis are surprising; despite having a warm lush and far less fatiguing sound than the 560s, its micro detail and macro detail (i.e. instrument separation) in the entire frequency spectrum is considerably better than the 560s. I know it’s a cliché by now but really do hear new sounds on my Omnis.  Not only that but the mids/bass are considerable thicker, more dynamic and engaging. Sublime sound all the way.

If you think I’m gushing too much you're probably right, there’s definitely a lot to like about the Omni. However it’s not perfect. The treble while has good extension, great detailed (more so than the 560s), very clean (as good as the 560s) and has a touch of sparkle is a tad over shadowed by the mids and bass, but still more than present enough to be heard clearly.  However it has less bite and is less dynamic vs the already no nonsense presentation of the 560's treble. So if you’re a treble head you probably won’t like the Omnis, well at least the Blackwood ones, heard the Cherry’s treble is very good.

The 560s still has other advantages, it may be the fact I’m used to the brighter, drier sound, but the 560s do sound clearer to me.  In fact some songs simply sounded a bit veiled in comparison on the Omni.  On some other songs particularly brighter masters it was not as noticeable.
If 0 is transparent, -20 is a hd 650 on a crap  tube amp and +20 is a ultrasone with treble eq turned up, then the 560s probably a 1 while the Omnis is probably a -2. Note that I have a tube amp so it’s probably skewing totality to the 560s favour.

Another weakness is imaging, the 560s might be a tad wider and deeper if at all, but it’s more open sound and better imaging gives a far more airy and holographic presentation. Imo this is probably the 560’s biggest advantage over the Omnis.

Even with these cons and while I don’t think it quite beats out the 560s, it certainly matches it in overall sound quality. It’s superb detail retrieval alone is probably worth the price of admission. 

Nov 15, 2015 at 2:40 PM Post #687 of 2,544
Bonus pics!!

!

Nov 15, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #688 of 2,544
^^^^ oh the sneaky packaging.  I kinda like the stealth box look.

Nov 15, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #690 of 2,544
I herd these yesterday at NY headfi meet...

I absolutely instantly fell in love with its sound!

This is a remarkable achievement, rather shocking to me.

Omni is quite clearly and easily the best headphone I heard from ZMF.

I would also choose these over ANY closed or partially open planar, (even the ether-c!)

The only reason I didnt buy on the spot, this gorgeous, and I do really mean absolutely gorgous looking can, is that I only currently had funds for one and I needed an open can for when someone calls my name lol.

But I definitely like these headphones.
There sound is so refined that they are in lcd-xc league.
They sound very close the ether-c level albiet not surpass them except in the darkwood version bass.
They feel gorgeous and that soft leather option is just fantastic!

For the price they are a no brainer and no competition in sight.

Edit:
In comparison to 560, it is hard as those are open cans, but I would easily choose these over the 560, because to me the 560 was lacking overall in energy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back