ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship
Nov 16, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #692 of 2,544
Holy crap this thing is bass crazed compare to alpha prime...and I had Zach tune it down 2-3db! sadly I dont like bass this much, I will give it a week to let my ears adjust. On a good note, pretty good slam compare to Alpha prime, the bomminess I feel like it a bit much. Separation isnt as good as the AP, the stage isnt as wide either maybe its because the Mid and bass are too in focus for me, making it feel closer than it really is. The closeness does give you a sense of more detail from the phone, where as the Alpha prime you can easily lose yourself of the detail because it is so wide and spacious, I have to concentrate harder on the Alpha Prime to get the detail, on the Omni not so much. I found myself adjusting the volume a lot with the OMNI.

Comfort is good, it clamp a little bit tighter than the Alpha Prime, not good or bad just a little bit tighter. 

back to more listening.

Nov 17, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #693 of 2,544

I think this is a great pairing. I have my nitpicks about the Element as do I with ever single piece of gear I have had, but this is an easy recommendation for the Omni. The power listed for it is no lie, or if its off it's in our favor. I liked the pairing better than my Pulse X single ended headphone out. Its punchy, controlled, detailed, and musical with a good balance. ​

Nov 17, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #694 of 2,544
  Holy crap this thing is bass crazed compare to alpha prime...and I had Zach tune it down 2-3db! sadly I dont like bass this much, I will give it a week to let my ears adjust. On a good note, pretty good slam compare to Alpha prime, the bomminess I feel like it a bit much. Separation isnt as good as the AP, the stage isnt as wide either maybe its because the Mid and bass are too in focus for me, making it feel closer than it really is. The closeness does give you a sense of more detail from the phone, where as the Alpha prime you can easily lose yourself of the detail because it is so wide and spacious, I have to concentrate harder on the Alpha Prime to get the detail, on the Omni not so much. I found myself adjusting the volume a lot with the OMNI.

Comfort is good, it clamp a little bit tighter than the Alpha Prime, not good or bad just a little bit tighter. 

back to more listening.

To be honest, I don't agree with the assessment about the width and size of the soundstage. I found the Cherry Omni stood head and shoulders above the Prime in that regard. The bass I can agree with (if only because that's the main appeal of the Cherry compared to the others.) You may actually enjoy the Blackwood variation a bit more, as it has more of a sub-bass focus than a mid-bass focus.

Nov 17, 2015 at 12:50 AM Post #695 of 2,544

Holy crap this thing is bass crazed compare to alpha prime...and I had Zach tune it down 2-3db! sadly I dont like bass this much, I will give it a week to let my ears adjust. 

That would mean the prime is bass light to me.

I was lucky enough to try both those light & darkwood versions.
the light colored version had an excellent overall sound that sucked me in..
I really wasnt expecting to sit down for long but these cans blocked out any abient sound and I was just wowed at the large sound.

Then Zach made me try those blackwoods I think you have pictured and they just wowed me even more with more slam and authority with a really well balanced mids & trebles that I found them to be the best.
But Zach said he had some adjustment/port covered for less bass, so it could even be more?!

Nov 17, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #696 of 2,544
But Zach said he had some adjustment/port covered for less bass, so it could even be more?!

Oh - I just meant that even though there are 5 ports on the Omni, that 2-3 of them are open and 2-3 of them are closed typically.  The amount of open air is adjusted to the driver measurements to reach the target frequency response.  They all have the same curve, no matter what wood is used etc etc, but yes @Law87 set has a couple DB less throughout the range than what you heard at the meet.

I had a great time hanging at the NYC meet though man.  I'm tempted to buy a little dot amp and bother you a bunch, maybe when I get caught up on Omni orders!  I wish I had a pic of me listening to your amp to post lol, next time!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 17, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #697 of 2,544
Next time I might have something different and of course rediculous!
:wink:

Nov 17, 2015 at 9:28 AM Post #700 of 2,544
I should have my Omni today or tomorrow....so looking forward to hearing them! Thanks Zach!

Nov 17, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #701 of 2,544
  I should have my Omni today or tomorrow....so looking forward to hearing them! Thanks Zach!

Do you by chance know where you are on the tour list?  I'm just trying to get an idea how far along the tour is...

Georgia by chance?

Nov 17, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #702 of 2,544
Do you by chance know where you are on the tour list?  I'm just trying to get an idea how far along the tour is...

Georgia by chance?

They're on their way down to Texas - and then Georgia or Alabama I believe!

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 17, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #703 of 2,544
The omni sounds great now, but I had trouble getting the fit to be just right, and the omni seems to be very fit dependent. Bad seal destroyed the soundstage and added sibilance and harshness to the sound. I finally got it correct and while imaging, depth adn comfort still isn't as good as the he 560, it's alot better than my inital impressions would have you believe. It's still more smooth, detailed and textured than the 560s. 

In any case since my 560s have driver rattling and the left pad is falling apart, I'll send it to warranty to fix it and then I might sell it.

Nov 18, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #704 of 2,544
  The omni sounds great now, but I had trouble getting the fit to be just right, and the omni seems to be very fit dependent. Bad seal destroyed the soundstage and added sibilance and harshness to the sound. I finally got it correct and while imaging, depth adn comfort still isn't as good as the he 560, it's alot better than my inital impressions would have you believe. It's still more smooth, detailed and textured than the 560s. 

In any case since my 560s have driver rattling and the left pad is falling apart, I'll send it to warranty to fix it and then I might sell it.

Are you using the pilot pad or comfort strap? I found the pilot pad gave my head a lot more room and it ended up being very comfortable with the cow leather pads. Granted, my head is huge, so the weight doesn't really bother me all that much.

Nov 18, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #705 of 2,544
yeah it's the strap, though now it's pretty comfy once broken in. As for weight, it's still less secure on my head vs other headphones, but I gotten used to it. It's not bad at all in fact.

I just brought the omni to my local headphone shop to try out the new amps, dacs and daps. The chord mojo in particularly is pretty impressive, very fun and musical with the omnis. I even compared the omni to the he-1000 via the mojo. While I doubt the he 1000s were  fully 100% driven to it's potential (though tbf neither was the omni), the comparison was alot closer than I thought. The 1000 had a far better stage and imaging but IMO the omnis beat it out in terms of musicality. I was actually pretty surprised how fun sounding the omni mojo pairing was.  

The mojo is definitely in the short list for portable amp/dacs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back