ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship
Oct 30, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #646 of 2,544
This question is a bit off topic but forgive me, the reddit q/a already ended.

zach915m, Do you plan, or have considered modding other headphones (besides T50RP MKIII)? Like, for example, the HE-400 and HD650 which has removable grills that, with your resources, can change sonic signature with your own wooden cups and dampening materials, and upgrade comfort with your own custom paddings.

Oct 30, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #647 of 2,544
I think all of his efforts should go into his own wooden open back or closed back planar. One where he doesn't have to fight t50 driver peaks. Most Definitely with the ZMF house sound.

If he can outsource production then he can spend more time in Marketing, public view, and not have to work 12 hours a day to fulfill orders himself.

Oct 30, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #648 of 2,544
This question is a bit off topic but forgive me, the reddit q/a already ended.

@zach915m, Do you plan, or have considered modding other headphones (besides T50RP MKIII)? Like, for example, the HE-400 and HD650 which has removable grills that, with your resources, can change sonic signature with your own wooden cups and dampening materials, and upgrade comfort with your own custom paddings.

At this point the only headphone I will be modding is the T50 MK III, and that's basically the same as modding the MK II as the driver is the same.  There's barely enough time in the day to fulfill demand right now for these, so I can't imagine adding anything else to the mix until I grow substantially.

I think all of his efforts should go into his own wooden open back or closed back planar. One where he doesn't have to fight t50 driver peaks. Most Definitely with the ZMF house sound.

If he can outsource production then he can spend more time in Marketing, public view, and not have to work 12 hours a day to fulfill orders himself.

NOTED! 
bigsmile_face.gif

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 30, 2015 at 11:26 PM Post #649 of 2,544
Of note, a few sets are going out tomorrow, and a few sets monday.  After that I'm pretty much back to where I was before the pre-order which is a consistent 10-15 sets in queue.  If you are on the order list right now, you'll have your headphones in the next few weeks (at most).

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 30, 2015 at 11:41 PM Post #650 of 2,544
I plugged the Omni into my Pulse X  today and it seems like its powerful enough to drive it. I really need a dedicated amp for it though. But as is its enjoyable. I also need to get an LPS thingy I kinda feel ripped off by LH Labs and couldn't have imagined paying full price but it sounds good even without the LPS. 

I am holding back the OMNI for sure. This thing deserves the best gear out there or at least a good amp matching as Its worth building a rig around . 

I also saw how there are 5 reviews up already and all with 5 stars...

Oct 30, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #651 of 2,544
Of note, a few sets are going out tomorrow, and a few sets monday.  After that I'm pretty much back to where I was before the pre-order which is a consistent 10-15 sets in queue.  If you are on the order list right now, you'll have your headphones in the next few weeks (at most).

We know it's been a long haul. Thank you for all the hard work! Really looking forward to getting my pair and trying with the Mojo and Liquid Carbon.

Oct 31, 2015 at 4:57 AM Post #652 of 2,544
I've been enjoying the Omni for a while now and my impressions have not changed at all.  I still love them and find them to be a great upgrade from my HE-400i, which I will be selling shortly.

I had to get rid of my Omega stand because I felt that they compressed the pads way too much.  I am looking forward to the stand that Zach has in development, but I couldn't wait and ordered a walnut stand to match my walnut Omni :)

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #653 of 2,544
Gents, how do the Omnis compare to the LCD-3,X sonically?

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #654 of 2,544
I don't think that's fair, but I also want to know.

FWIW in a review someone did say the omnis was about 75% as good as his lcdx, and that was before zach did the final modifications.

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #655 of 2,544
I'll be directly comparing the Omni to an LCD3 in a couple weeks.

Oct 31, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #656 of 2,544
@cs098 and @Ishcabible thank you, look forward to reading your impressions! @Ishcabible is it the 3f?

I have a loaner LCD-X atm that I am absolutely loving. 

Oct 31, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #657 of 2,544
Gents, how do the Omnis compare to the LCD-3,X sonically?

I have had all three but the LCD3F not the LCD-3. I can't be super detailed but I can give a rough version from memory:

Upfront and given the choice of the three I would probably go for an eq'd or better amped lcd-3f if its bass hit harder but it doesn't so the LCD-X would be my choice, hence why I downgraded even though the 3F is a better headphone. But the Omni is better balanced than either of them and still competitive at the better overall value. 

all blackwood Omni:

1. Its more evenly balanced with an upper midrange boost that is stronger than both of them. However it does't have the thick sound of the 3F or the lower treble issues of the X. Well at least Omni's treble is less problematic there to my ears but it may be close and because the upper mid dip in the LCD-X makes it more apparent. The X lower treble is more fatiguing for some reason though. The midrange of the Omni sounds the best balanced even though its upper midrange is a bit pronounced. But the LCD3F is downright detailed in the midrange and it would be tough for the Omni to compete there, or the HE6 for that matter. Also though the 3F is darker it maybe a bit more liquid even and even more clear which is saying a lot because the Omni is pretty darn transparent. I just wish the 3F had flatter mids slightly, more air, and more solid bass (things the Omni doesn't suffer from).
  2. Blackwood Omni detail retrieval is not wanting for its price and though it has less its still up there in flagship ability. With the LCD3 F I felt stupid because I thought my headphone was broken in the first 10 seconds because of all of the details I heard that downright surprised me. I swapped headphones and still heard them but they were a lot less apparent with my other heapdhones. The LCD-X didn't do that. Nor will the Omni. 
  3. The bass of the ZMF OMNI is as satisfying as the LCD-X and hits pretty hard and at times seems even punchier but the LCD-X bass is better for sure still because its a little more meaty and detailed. The Omni is definitely more satisfying than the LCD3F and tighter overall, yet with less texture.
  4. The Blackwood Omni has just about equal image separation but is more engaging and musical In my opinion because it doesn't have the upper mid suck out of the LCD-X, or the rainbow shape of the LCD-3 F. Vocals have more life in the Omni than both IMO
  5. The OMNI may appear to sound faster than both though. The LCDs wont win any speed awards. 
  6. Both LCD's have a deeper soundstage that is pretty neat, at least the deepest I have heard since I haven't tried a lot of open back dynamics but the Omni may be a little wider. The X sounds the most open but least natural from the midrange up.

The Omni suffers from a lot less issues than either LCD so I never feel wanting/ or wishing of this or that. If there was a fully open version that had the Omni tuning I would take it over either LCD without one question if it still had the technical ability of the Omni.
Balance preference: OMNI>LCDX>LCD3F
Technical preference: LCD3F>LCDX>OMNI
Easiest to recommend: OMNI>LCD3F>LCD-X

This is all in the world of grizzlybeast though which is very picky but in different ways than most audiophiles. I would fall into the very picky enthusiast category and most honestly think that more serious audiophiles would walk away with the LCD3-F on a good matching amp. The OMNI needs the most power but has everything I need already tuned in. 

I sold my X to buy speakers and given the choice I would take it over the OMNI but I am still not sure though because I connect to vocalists so well with the OMNI which is what neither LCD has been able to do for me. I guess I am just jonesing for that the LCD-X does with my electronic music with that meaty bass and super deep soundstage. But even so the Omni is very capable there. 

The OMNI sounds amazing honestly because it does EVERYTHING RIGHT...heck some may even think I am way off and believe the OMNI to better the others in areas I have mentioned. I wont argue because its not like the Omni is not right up there. Priced at the level of the LCD2 I had it would be the easy choice over the LCD2. 

Oct 31, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #659 of 2,544
Oct 31, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #660 of 2,544
@grizzlybeast thank you for the thoughtful response, it is greatly appreciated! Wish my Tour experience with the Omni was a little closer on the horizon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back