ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship
Sep 24, 2018 at 9:42 PM Post #2,341 of 2,544
Thanks! It sounds and looks freaking amazing! I just wanted, it to be exactly how it was from factory, but I guess I won't know, unless I send it off to ZMF.

Yep--the Ori looks & sounds amazing. Just love mine.

What wood is yours? Do you run it balanced?

BTW, if you really wanted the dampening checked out, I'm sure Zach could accommodate you. Whether he would charge a fee above & beyond shipping, I have no idea. But he's a very fair & helpful person.

Sep 24, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #2,342 of 2,544
Yep--the Ori looks & sounds amazing. Just love mine.

What wood is yours? Do you run it balanced?

BTW, if you really wanted the dampening checked out, I'm sure Zach could accommodate you. Whether he would charge a fee above & beyond shipping, I have no idea. But he's a very fair & helpful person.
Mine is a beautifully grained reddish brown colored, ormosia henryi Ori. It is stunning looking in person. I am going to get in touch with Zach, to make sure my frontal dampening is right. Do all Ori, come with a baggy that has grey circle foam and black silk looking sqaures, for frontal dampening?

I am running mine with my Lyr 3, which is single ended and tubed.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 10:28 PM Post #2,343 of 2,544
Ormosia henryi? What a coincidence--so is mine. It's a beautiful, subtle wood.

My Ori did not come with the baggy of sound dampening materials. But perhaps others could chime in...? Maybe other Oris have been sold w/that included?

I listen to the Ori either in balanced mode (2 amps that output balanced); or by adding a pigtail to the ForzaAudioWorks HCP Noir balanced cable (short tun of same cable configured w/4-pin female connector + 6.35mm output jack either end), can listen to it on single ended amps, too.

The Ori likes a LOT of power, as you probably found out already. Powerful SS amps like the V281 really kick it up a notch. I tried the Ori with a lower power amp (M Stage Matrix HPA-1)--great sounding amp that did get it up to desired volume, but the result sounded somewhat strained.

Never tried it on a powerful hybrid like the Lyr. Bet that sounds excellent!

Sep 25, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #2,344 of 2,544
Oh man! I got the dampening back to stock and I see what all the fuss is about. These are killer, and do everything perfect for me. The voicing and tone is the best i have heard. The Ori, are the definition of a musical headphone! Back to the music.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #2,345 of 2,544
Oh man! I got the dampening back to stock and I see what all the fuss is about. These are killer, and do everything perfect for me. The voicing and tone is the best i have heard. The Ori, are the definition of a musical headphone! Back to the music.
I’m gonna PM you if you’re not working. Let me know please.

Sep 25, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #2,346 of 2,544
I’m gonna PM you if you’re not working. Let me know please.
I am actually off today, so pm me anytime. I took off, so I could enjoy a full day with my new Ori. :L3000:

Sep 25, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #2,347 of 2,544
So what are you guys using as the stock dampening setup?

Sep 25, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #2,348 of 2,544
So what are you guys using as the stock dampening setup?
I don't know anything about these or how to mess with them. I know there's a set already installed as I can feel them. There's another set in the red bag that was included. The ones in the cups are square and the ones in the bag are round.

Sep 25, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #2,349 of 2,544
I don't know anything about these or how to mess with them. I know there's a set already installed as I can feel them. There's another set in the red bag that was included. The ones in the cups are square and the ones in the bag are round.
I believe the round(grey colored) goes, over the square(white colored) and then the pads. At least thats how my Blackwood and Classic are. I have emailed ZMF, to find out for sure.

Driver - white square foam - grey circle foam - ear pad

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #2,350 of 2,544
I know in my experimenting that changing the materials around really makes a huge difference in the sound. I was curious what you guys were using. Basically, when you take the pads off the cup all the dampening pieces will fall out, unless you're really careful, and getting them all back in properly can be challenging since you're trying to keep them in place while attaching the pads back onto the cup.

Sep 25, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #2,351 of 2,544
I know in my experimenting that changing the materials around really makes a huge difference in the sound. I was curious what you guys were using. Basically, when you take the pads off the cup all the dampening pieces will fall out, unless you're really careful, and getting them all back in properly can be challenging since you're trying to keep them in place while attaching the pads back onto the cup.
I haven't done anything yet but I know there's only the square pad installed. The round ones are still in the bag. I'm assuming if I just leave the square one installed, the treble will be boosted a bit?

Sep 25, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #2,352 of 2,544
I haven't done anything yet but I know there's only the square pad installed. The round ones are still in the bag. I'm assuming if I just leave the square one installed, the treble will be boosted a bit?
In my experience... boosted a lot.

Sep 25, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #2,353 of 2,544
In my experience... boosted a lot.
Well that makes a lot of sense from what I’m hearing then. I just don’t hear the treble as rolled off as some have said. I think with just the square material installed, they’re tuned perfect for me and I probably won’t even mess with it. Thanx for the response.
Does anyone else have it tuned like this and if so, thoughts? Just curious.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #2,354 of 2,544
Well that makes a lot of sense from what I’m hearing then. I just don’t hear the treble as rolled off as some have said. I think with just the square material installed, they’re tuned perfect for me and I probably won’t even mess with it. Thanx for the response.
Does anyone else have it tuned like this and if so, thoughts? Just curious.

I have to repeat what Zach told me when I asked him about tuning my Ori, after finding different assortments of 3 different tuning materials in right vs left earcup--he tunes each Ori individually & inserts different materials in each earcup as needed to get that set measuring & sounding optimally. If that means having different tuning materials in right vs left cups, so be it.

And that's exactly what I found when I carefully removed the earpads from my stock/then-new Ori: different tuning materials in each earcup (as described in a post yesterday).

If you like how your Ori sounds, don't mess w/damping materials. You could blow up that beautiful sound in a hurry...

Sep 25, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #2,355 of 2,544
I have to repeat what Zach told me when I asked him about tuning my Ori, after finding different assortments of 3 different tuning materials in right vs left earcup--he tunes each Ori individually & inserts different materials in each earcup as needed to get that set measuring & sounding optimally. If that means having different tuning materials in right vs left cups, so be it.

And that's exactly what I found when I carefully removed the earpads from my stock/then-new Ori: different tuning materials in each earcup (as described in a post yesterday).

If you like how your Ori sounds, don't mess w/damping materials. You could blow up that beautiful sound in a hurry...
I agree with this. Thanks for the info!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back