ZMF Ori (Omni) - Upcoming Semi Open Flagship
Sep 25, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #2,356 of 2,544
Well that makes a lot of sense from what I’m hearing then. I just don’t hear the treble as rolled off as some have said. I think with just the square material installed, they’re tuned perfect for me and I probably won’t even mess with it. Thanx for the response.
Does anyone else have it tuned like this and if so, thoughts? Just curious.

May have to try this.

Sep 25, 2018 at 2:47 PM Post #2,357 of 2,544
I have to repeat what Zach told me when I asked him about tuning my Ori, after finding different assortments of 3 different tuning materials in right vs left earcup--he tunes each Ori individually & inserts different materials in each earcup as needed to get that set measuring & sounding optimally. If that means having different tuning materials in right vs left cups, so be it.

And that's exactly what I found when I carefully removed the earpads from my stock/then-new Ori: different tuning materials in each earcup (as described in a post yesterday).

If you like how your Ori sounds, don't mess w/damping materials. You could blow up that beautiful sound in a hurry...

Problem is, I'm the 3rd owner of my Bocote Ori, and the folks that had them before me had already messed around with the tuning materials. I believe mine probably had different setups in each cup originally, because I can definitely hear a difference in the tone of the right vs left speaker with matching materials on each side. I've played around with the tuning myself, with some help from Zach, and think it's pretty even now.

Sep 25, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #2,358 of 2,544
My Ori came with two sets of pads and I have liked the sound so much that I have never done anything to them....listening to them just as they came from Zach....never tried the cowhide pads yet.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #2,359 of 2,544
My Ori came with two sets of pads and I have liked the sound so much that I have never done anything to them....listening to them just as they came from Zach....never tried the cowhide pads yet.

I did try the cowhides once (why is a long story). What I found was counterintuitive: though the Ori pads & ZMF cowhides look nearly identical, the cowhides are far stiffer (cowhide vs lambskin...it matters). Not sure if the inside padding is different or the same, but the cowhides discouraged the pads from compressing at all in normal use, as the Ori pads do--so I had less seal, w/the usual acoustic consequences of that.

In the early Omni days, people were posting that the cowhides eventually flex-out/soften up, but I didn't use them long enough to find that out. Put the Ori pads back on, and voila! That great Ori sound was back.

I ended up w/3 premium sets of angled pads (Brainwavz sheepskins; ZMF cowhides; MrSpeakers Alpha pads) that somehow or other never seem to suit any headphone I try them on. It's kind of maddening.

Oct 14, 2018 at 9:41 AM Post #2,361 of 2,544
I love how that when you switch to this headphone....it takes all of about 10 seconds and you are hooked on the sub bass

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #2,366 of 2,544
HOw does this compare to fostex 900

Fostex TH-900 = extremely V-shaped sound signature. Way more powerful bass and treble, but horribly recessed mids. Makes it sound like all sounds are coming from within a closet. Really a horrendous, ridiculously unnatural listening experience.

ZMF Ori = Really good all around performer. Bass goes about as deep as any headphone will go (to around 10 Hz), strong sub-bass, slight mid-bass boost to make it thump more, wonderfully textured and controlled bass that's similar to Audeze LCD except with the slight mid-bass hump creating more slam. Lovely full bodied mids with shockingly transparent vocals, treble is not recessed or dark but nor is it bright, a very fine balance with no major peaks or dips so it sounds linear and natural although not extremely airy or transparent.

Nov 7, 2018 at 10:24 PM Post #2,367 of 2,544
Fostex TH-900 = extremely V-shaped sound signature. Way more powerful bass and treble, but horribly recessed mids. Makes it sound like all sounds are coming from within a closet. Really a horrendous, ridiculously unnatural listening experience.

ZMF Ori = Really good all around performer. Bass goes about as deep as any headphone will go (to around 10 Hz), strong sub-bass, slight mid-bass boost to make it thump more, wonderfully textured and controlled bass that's similar to Audeze LCD except with the slight mid-bass hump creating more slam. Lovely full bodied mids with shockingly transparent vocals, treble is not recessed or dark but nor is it bright, a very fine balance with no major peaks or dips so it sounds linear and natural although not extremely airy or transparent.
IT sounds like you like the ZMF over the fostex.

Nov 20, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #2,368 of 2,544
These things are amazing! The Ori takes me on an adventure, every time I put them on. I lose track of time and can't stop moving to the music. Sounds come at you from everywhere, and the soundstage height, depth and width are stunning. This is what I always wanted in a headphone! Thanks Zach!

Nov 20, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #2,370 of 2,544
As much as I loved my Atticus, to me personally?..... i prefer these. I actually just sold my Atticus due to how much I enjoy these.
Very interesting, as I have been wanting an Atticus forever. I think I will save a few more bucks and go for the Eikon, for my next purchase. However, it is gonna be a while, as I am really happy with my Ori.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back